Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear mites

Ear mites

I just discovered that my lil mojo has ear mites....i have thought about it for awhile because he was always scratching his ears and shaking his head.....well i have some treatment for ear mite but i dont have alot and well i was wondering if there was a home remedy for it......i feel bad because i try to take care of my babies......i always clean his ears....it saddens me to find this out....so if u kno how to fix it plz help.....

Ear mites are nasty, and sometimes difficuly to eliminate, and complete elimination may take up to a month. What kind of dog is Mojo? Does he have hairy, floppy ears? Those types of ears are the hardest to keep clean, and often get infections. If Mojo does indeed have ear mites (have your vet take a look at his ears to be sure) they can be transmitted to any other pets in your household.

I would take Mojo to your veterinarian. He/She can give you a special ear cleanser to clean up his ears, and get rid of the mites.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

mojo is a tri-colored chihuahua (shorthair) well i was on the internet doen some research and they said that u can see them that it would b lil white dots and sometimes they will move around well i looked into one og his ears and well it looked like the pic....jus not as sbad.....and well he shakes his head and sometimes he will move his head like he is looking for something back and forth back and forth....well he isnt shaking as bad as he was when i started the treatment that i have....well thank u for ur advice and i am still open for more...i will also put a pic up so u can see mojo.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would HIGHLY advise taking your doggie to the vet for treatment, that is the BEST way to take care of him.

There are MANY reasons a dog may have itchy ears. Only a vet can diagnose ear mites by looking at them under a microscope. Even if the diagnosis is ear mites, the vet has safe medications that work fast, limiting the amount of time your pet has to be uncomfortable with the itching.

If not treated promptly, your dog can get a secondary infection from all the scratching which will require antibiotics, costing you more money and more vet visits.

All that head shaking and scratching can cause blood vessels to burst inside the ear flap, called a hematoma. If that happens it is VERY painful for the pet and frequently requires expensive surgery to fix it, and can often permenantly disfigure the ear flap.

While it may seem a simple issue of 'ear mites' to you, it's simply not worth risking; infections, hematoma, pain, suffering, and much more expense, just to save a few bucks on the first vet visit.

Please take your doggie to your vet and keep us posted.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

ok i would love to take my lovely mojo to the vet......but the thing is.....we have no money.....my boyfriend just lost his job due to "low economy" and we cant find jobs....we have no food for us and we are doing our best to do the best and that is why i was asking for home remedies....cuz i dont have the money to take him to the vet.......im sry and i understand were u and anyone else who reads this is coming from but i dont have the money and i cant......

Will the vet maybe defer payment, or help you work out a payment plan? It's worth asking, or if they know of a free clinic. Also, check local churches for food for you humans, and some may have dog food as well.
    I've Been Frosted

i got the animals taken care of the animal shelter gave us over 100llbs of dog food for them.....they are my priority and i made sure that they were taken care of......i have already asked vets if they would do a "payment plan" and they said no because to many ppl jus dont pay....there are no "free" animal clinics up here in fairbanks alaska......the whole state is having problems.....

Hmm, maybe you could do some work to pay the bill in exchange? Vet's offices often need clerical work, you could walk dogs, clean cages ... the kind of stuff no one wants to do but that needs doing ...
    I've Been Frosted

yeah i understand i will call them tomorrow wen they are open and see if that is possiable.....do u kno any home remedies

No, don't do any home remedies!!!
    Who makes up the recipes for those- NOT veterinarians! Please don't try any home remedies.... you most likely will further damage his ears.
    There is a certain technique to cleaning a dogs ears, and he may bite you because he is in pain.
    What Karen suggested about offering to do clerical work and/or cleaning cages is a great idea, ask your clinic if they need any help like that.

Kaitlyn (the human)

well i just talked to the vet and they said no they want the money when i come through the door......well i guess i will jus stick wit wut i got....he doesnt bite me when i clean his ears.....he is actually doen alot better since i have started this treatment.....

I'm not in any way trying to be rude.... but do you know how to clean his ears the proper way? And what are you using to clean his ears???

Kaitlyn (the human)

Try this... you can purchase it at Petco/PetsMart

Or this

Kaitlyn (the human)

i kno u werent being rude u were being a loving owner and a dedicated one too....im using ear mite treatment that is wut it is called.....and i was taught by the vet how to clean all my babies ears........but i will keep my eye open for those

i found the bottle it is hartz ultra guard ear mite treatment