View Poll Results: Do you like getting gifts related to a hobby/passion?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Anything and everything!

14 41.18%
  • Yes, but it depends on what it is.

16 47.06%
  • No way! It goes into the regift closet.

0 0%
  • I'll pretend to like it, and hope they never ask about it.

0 0%
  • I may not love it, but I like it because its the thought that counts.

3 8.82%
  • Other - please explain

1 2.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiving gift related to hobbies?

Receiving gift related to hobbies?

My mom LOVES grandmom stuff.... so I know that anything that says "grandmom" will be a huge winner for her as a gift. My sister in law LOVES tinkerbell, so I also know anything with Tink on it will be a winner too.

But then you have me, who LOVES cats, but I cringe whenever I get cat related items (photo frames, sweatshirts, dolls, etc). My other Sister in law LOVES Greyhounds, but figures her two dogs to be enough of an advertisement for the breed. And yet another in law LOVES hunting. Yet, don't buy him anything hunting related (you know, bear print sign, or deer motif on a blanket, etc) because he wants only authentic hunting things.

Where's this ramble going? Oh - I forgot! How do you feel about getting things related to a passion? Do you swoon, or do you plaster a fake smile on your face?

Oh, I forgot --- I posted this poll for fun, because I gave mom a Grandmom sweatshirt and she gushed about it. She even called me once I got home to tell me she was already wearing it!

I do. I don't have any hobbies but I always get gifts that have dogs and cats in the theme because they are my passion. Horses of course too.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Yes! My brother got me a gift card at my favorite art store because he could not figure out what to get me for Christmas.. and I appreciated that thought he put into it.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I wasn't sure how to vote...because while I totally love anything and everything (because it shows me that they know my "passions") it would still matter what the item was (for example: I'd use a tee shirt or towel or potholder, but I don't care for knick-knacks and other "dust collectors" or anything scented)

i loooooove penguins and of course dogs. and i pretty much love any gift associated with the two.
    got a dog photo frame for Christmas today actually and absolutely loved it.

received 4 penguin mugs for my birthday and loved those and last year i received a penguin cookie jar and a matching penguin mug(from bath and body works) and absolutely loved them.

also have received penguin PJ's and loooove them!

the only thing i don't like are cheesy dog t-shirts n stuff like that, other than that i'm pretty easy to buy for!

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    Yes! My brother got me a gift card at my favorite art store because he could not figure out what to get me for Christmas.. and I appreciated that thought he put into it.
    Gift certs aren't gifts like what I'm referring to beause you can then pick out exactly what you want. What if he bought you a drafting set while you are a free hand artist? Or how about a pack of children's construction paper while you are dying to try out some really nice watercolor paper? As a non-artist, your brother might not understand that watercolor paper is vastly different than construction paper, or a drafting set will frustrate you. He could have thought "hey, its artsy and she's artsy, so lets get it"

Like me, I am a pencil artist and never use canvas or pastels. It would be awkward for me to be thrilled with canvas, though I would be so honored that they thought enough to go to the store, search for a gift, and buy the canvas.

But since I'm a pencil artist, I'm OBSESSED with pens and pencils, and anybody who bought me even a dollar store lead pencil set would make me happy I'd probably call the person who gave me cheap pencils a hundred times to thank them for the gift. And each call would be sincere.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmericanPUP View Post
    i loooooove penguins and of course dogs. and i pretty much love any gift associated with the two.
    got a dog photo frame for Christmas today actually and absolutely loved it.

received 4 penguin mugs for my birthday and loved those and last year i received a penguin cookie jar and a matching penguin mug(from bath and body works) and absolutely loved them.

also have received penguin PJ's and loooove them!

the only thing i don't like are cheesy dog t-shirts n stuff like that, other than that i'm pretty easy to buy for!
    Ooops, I forgot about the elephant mugs I got my father in law. He went nuts for them.

I guess it narrows down to knowing how the person will react. I know which person I CAN buy hobby items for and those I can't. Like my one friend who is an ex-nun... I know NEVER to buy anything religious for her. Its a sore subject. She's still deeeply religious but is not longer "in the business"

yup, just have to know a person i guess and put a little thought into it.

i am happy with any gift i receive as long as i know the person actually put a little bit of thought into it and actually bought it because they thought i might like it. the only gifts i don't enjoy receiving are ones that you know the person didn't care if you would like, they just bought it cause it was either 1. cheap or 2. in front of their face and something to put under the tree.
    I really prefer not getting a gift rather than getting something that someone put no thought into whatsoever.

Well I have tons of hobbies. I have been a nut for Tigers since 1st grade, which I think I was 7 then so I'm 21 now I love cat related items my taste has changed a bit I use to be really turned off by animal print, but I'm okay with it now that I have changed my mind and but still kinda don't want it everywhere. That and I get sorta annoyed by the artist if they don't stay accurate if its a realistic picture. I guess its because since I try to be as accurate as possible I expect others to attempt that too. For example: tigers have black ears with white spot on the back, if they make it orange or forget the dot which if they make it orange they generally forget the dot too, so that can just be a small irk, sometime seeing a yellow tiger can annoy me too, not so much I won't be happy they thought of me, I really do appreciate it when someone actually gets me my favorite animal anymore.
    Honestly it depends on the blemish and to me its more like a fault of the producers since normally well made handmade doesn't have faults like that.

Sometimes people do buy me art kits and such and I'm really careful about my stuff, I don't like messing up my prized possessions, and sometimes it goes on for several months without use because I like to take my time wait for some time worthy of its use. I'm just a weird artist I'll generally use the cheap materials together and use expensive materials together I don't like mixing the two. I have learned that mechanical pencils can be handy on a good sketch book.

I like crafts, but the one I am into is Knitting, I would be so happy if some one got me some soft yarn or pair of knitting needles because even if I have a set of one already, That seriously helps if I want to do more projects than one at a time, since most fall under 7 size needle. Even books on stuff that I would knit. I have been knitting for about 4 years, there for 1 year and then I stopped for couple of years and then I just started back up again, I'm actually paying for lessons, I am doing well and hopefully I can knit something for myself in between all this knitting for others, I'm on my second scarf for my mom since apparently she doesn't like my first one, I can't blame her its made of not so soft yarn. I think its sweet when people offer to pay for the yarn if I knit them a scarf because sometimes when you knit as fast as I do you have to wait for your next paycheck.

well I don't really consider my love of hounds to be a hobby so to speak but wouldn't mind hound stuff.

but my REAL hobby is beading and if you gave me beads or money for beads or a GC for a bead store... I would FREAK My mothers day gift was a shopping spree at an out of town bead shop and then dinner at PF Changs and I went to TOWN at the bead shop lol. even though it's a hobby that is kind of my job so to speak... it's STILL my hobby and beads are one of my LOVES

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I have lots of hobbies. I won't turn down a present related to my hobbies, but I'd prefer to get things on my own.

For instance, I have a small curio cabinet of my Asian-themed stuff. Its full, I don't need more unless I find a select rare piece. I expecially don't want the cheap white ceramic Chinese person type figure I got today.

I like dogs, I don't like the dog shirt I'm wearing. Sure, it looks like Autumn, but it says "ho ho ho" and has a santa hat. What other days of the year can I wear this present?

I certainly like people thinking of what kind of things I like, its shows some thought. Most of the time I just have to fake a smile about the gift though and shove it in a box in the attic.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I have to be careful what I say around certain people because they tend to go overboard sometimes. Take last year. I was out shopping for them and bought myself a very elegant looking silver penguin ornament. My mom says "I didn't know you liked penguins"... the rest was history. Now I get them all the time, along with mice. I love mice. I have a ton of little figurines and stuffed animals and I adore them all. I like penguins, I don't love them. I do like cutesy cartoony festive penguins but I don't have to get every single penguin item out there. My mom likes frogs and she is the same way with not wanting every single one out there, but she is the main one getting me every single mouse and penguin item she can find.

So now I have to be very specific when people ask what I want or like. If there is someone who I think may go overboard, I politely ask for a gift card and don't tell them anything else.

I´m pretty easy.. get me anything animal related.. or with animal print and I´m happy...I can´t ever have too many animal related stuff

animal print purse.. yeah.. animal print clothes.. yeah.. animal figurine.. yeah.. animal stuffie.. yeah.. animal calendar.. yeah.. animal slippers.. yeah.. you can see where this is going dontcha.. hehe.. it be a charm, a watch, a notepad, a pencil, a poster, a coat, a pj, even undies .. you have me.. hehe

and if it´s wolves, dogs, penguins, big cats..... ooohh.. I love you..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I collect dragons and love to get anything dragon related. When the family asks what I'd like, I tell them that.

I'm sure if I didn't, they wouldn't bother.

That's where Wish Lists come in handy.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June