Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Grrrrr..... I Hate Stupid People.

I think you have answered all our comments very well, politely and to the point making your point strongly.

I hope you have been able to take on board some of the comments though,as i think some are very valid, i am not sure that people need to educate themselves about every breed of dog, it is not something i would do, being a cat person myself,so it is up to you the dog owner to perhaps do so, again you stated that you were not rude, so i think you handled the situation in a good manner, good for you.

In New Zealand pit bulls are listed as a dangerous breed now,so i guess there has to be a reason for it, i do think the media has taken a lot of it out of context and made the public including myself fearful of them, i guess to be honest i would be more inclined to go up to a poodle and pat it than a pit bull anyday.

Again i would always ask the person is it ok to pet your sweet dog, i did this at the vets one day to a cute little dog,and she warned me not to, as he was very bitey to strangers, no problem there.

I think you just have to be aware how a lot of people do feel towards pit bulls in particular and you educate them as best you can,the ball is in your court really.

P.S the trouble down under here is lot of pit bulls are owned by gangs here, and used for dog fighting, so poor things are given a bad rap because of that as well,very sad indeed.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Oh, I just have to jump back in here ....

RE: dogs in stores: Let me preface this by saying I LOVE my dogs! I love almost all dogs, love to see them, love to pet them, love to talk about them. Dogs are one of my favorite things in the world.

However ... like everything else in the world, there is a place for dogs to be, and a place they should not be. I think it's GREAT that dogs can go into Petsmart, Petco, etc. My dogs LOVED their weekly outing to Petsmart, when we lived near one. Our local petstore lets pets come in, and of course, dog parks are wonderful places.

I do not think that pets should be allowed in every store. I see no reason dogs need to go to Home Depot or Walmart. Many people are allergic to dogs, for one thing. I'm deathly allergic to cats, I couldn't shop in a store if there was a cat near. Who wants to buy a box of cereal or a bath towel that someone's dog has lifted it's leg on? And if I can bring my dog to Target, why can't my neighbor bring his horse?
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I think everyone took your words, apbtmom, to sound rude to the lady... The way you typed them sounded rude. If you were nice to the lady, and she knew you were, then there really isn't a problem here. But I think everyone just thought the words sounded rude.

"Is it ok if I go by or will he bite me?" OMG my blood instantly started to boil, I said, " WHy would you think he was going to bite you?" Her response, " Cause he's a Pit Bull.", I looked at her and smiled nicely, sweetly and told her that is what she gets for assuming things about dogs she doesn't know."

Exactly what does she get for assuming things about dogs she doesn't know? That sounds like a smart response to me... and the fact that you said her mouth dropped.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Welcome to Pet Talk apbtmom76!!! I think people are overeacting to your statement a bit and sure showing you plenty of hospitality for being new on this forum!
    Where I live, dogs can go in stores besides petstores. Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc. I've never taken mine but have known people who have. One lady even had a dog in the post office one day, a little dog she was holding.
    I know you have well trained, well behaved dogs Tye and set a good example for the breed. Must be, being new, you can't make a little rant thread.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't see anyone over reacting, other than the OP. Calling people stupid, and calling the woman a bitch because she was leery of the dog, is hardly a way to win friends and influence people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Unless you have a guide dog in NZ, you cannot really take them to shops,even some beaches you are not allowed to take them, but that is for obvious reasons.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asiel
    I guess that would make me stupid too because I'm deathly afraid of Pits. Not because I've ever had a bad experience myself but because of the media and how some little kids were badly mauled by one. I'm also very unstable on my feet so I know I would never stand a chance against one. Do I hate them? No, of course not, I love all dogs. But I would be just as afraid to pass next to one as that elderly lady was, I probably wouldn't ask the question she did but I would wait till the dog was gone before passing.
    I have large breed dogs myself that many people fear because they don't know my dogs, am I offended? Not at all, If someone shows fear regardless of the circumstance I reassure them and move my dogs away from them.

So you hav never thought to educate yourself about the breed, you would rather remain one of the people we fight with BSL, who think that our breed should be banned for what they are, a breed? Well I too am a bit unsteady on my feet as I have a few back problems, Phoenix is with me to be my dog of all trades, lol, he helps me do a lot of things.

Where in my post did I bring up the BSL??? I wasn't even thinking about it until I read your reply. I said I feared pits but I also said I loved ALL dogs . I also said many people fear my dogs because of their size. I don't call these people stupid, I try to reassure them and move my dog my dog away from them.
    Try not to be so defensive about our responses, it makes it look like there really is something to fear if you have to act up to defend your breed.
    You know I apologize for posting this, it was obviously not taken the way I inteneded it which was just a rant. And I am defensive about this breed, people are trying to take aay my right as a responsible dog owner because of peole like the lady in my OP, why shouldn't I be defensive? ANd if this is what you all call acting up, you all really do not know me,

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I think you have answered all our comments very well, politely and to the point making your point strongly.
    I tried very hard, even though I was shaking, I have never been attacked by people as I have on this board, ever.

I hope you have been able to take on board some of the comments though,as i think some are very valid, i am not sure that people need to educate themselves about every breed of dog, it is not something i would do, being a cat person myself,so it is up to you the dog owner to perhaps do so, again you stated that you were not rude, so i think you handled the situation in a good manner, good for you.
    As I stated I try to educate as many people as possible, for her loss at my comment 5 other people stepped forward to pet him and ooh and ahh over him.

In New Zealand pit bulls are listed as a dangerous breed now,so i guess there has to be a reason for it, i do think the media has taken a lot of it out of context and made the public including myself fearful of them, i guess to be honest i would be more inclined to go up to a poodle and pat it than a pit bull anyday.
    The reason is irresponsible people owning a breed they never should and breeding bad blood to bad blood and no proper socialization. ANd of course the media has A LOT to do with this.

Again i would always ask the person is it ok to pet your sweet dog, i did this at the vets one day to a cute little dog,and she warned me not to, as he was very bitey to strangers, no problem there.
    I too always ask, lol

I think you just have to be aware how a lot of people do feel towards pit bulls in particular and you educate them as best you can,the ball is in your court really.
    I am always the first person to try to educate people, sorry but there are times when what people say just twerks me the wrong way.

P.S the trouble down under here is lot of pit bulls are owned by gangs here, and used for dog fighting, so poor things are given a bad rap because of that as well,very sad indeed.
    This is true here in the States as well, so I understand and it is quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    Oh, I just have to jump back in here ....

RE: dogs in stores: Let me preface this by saying I LOVE my dogs! I love almost all dogs, love to see them, love to pet them, love to talk about them. Dogs are one of my favorite things in the world.

However ... like everything else in the world, there is a place for dogs to be, and a place they should not be. I think it's GREAT that dogs can go into Petsmart, Petco, etc. My dogs LOVED their weekly outing to Petsmart, when we lived near one. Our local petstore lets pets come in, and of course, dog parks are wonderful places.

I do not think that pets should be allowed in every store. I see no reason dogs need to go to Home Depot or Walmart. Many people are allergic to dogs, for one thing. I'm deathly allergic to cats, I couldn't shop in a store if there was a cat near. Who wants to buy a box of cereal or a bath towel that someone's dog has lifted it's leg on? And if I can bring my dog to Target, why can't my neighbor bring his horse?
    hmm well I personally see no rpoblem with im going into a hardware store, if there had been food served there or something like that then I could see veryone saying oohhh a dog in here is unsanitary, but come one it's Lowe's. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    I think everyone took your words, apbtmom, to sound rude to the lady... The way you typed them sounded rude. If you were nice to the lady, and she knew you were, then there really isn't a problem here. But I think everyone just thought the words sounded rude.

"Is it ok if I go by or will he bite me?" OMG my blood instantly started to boil, I said, " WHy would you think he was going to bite you?" Her response, " Cause he's a Pit Bull.", I looked at her and smiled nicely, sweetly and told her that is what she gets for assuming things about dogs she doesn't know."

Exactly what does she get for assuming things about dogs she doesn't know? That sounds like a smart response to me... and the fact that you said her mouth dropped.
    Again people assuming I was being rude to her, I really wasn't, as I said it was nice the way I said it, I do not always type what I am thinking, my fingers do not always move as fast as my brain thinks, lol. It did drop but she smiled and went on her way, I just don't think she was expecting me to say somethinglike that to her is all. She said the wrong thing to me on that particular day is all, should never assume anything, period.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Welcome to Pet Talk apbtmom76!!! I think people are overeacting to your statement a bit and sure showing you plenty of hospitality for being new on this forum!
    Where I live, dogs can go in stores besides petstores. Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc. I've never taken mine but have known people who have. One lady even had a dog in the post office one day, a little dog she was holding.
    I know you have well trained, well behaved dogs Tye and set a good example for the breed. Must be, being new, you can't make a little rant thread.
    Lol CP, I guess not, I will remember that and not rant about anything else here, not that I do it often but thanks for the warm welcome Cp, I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I don't see anyone over reacting, other than the OP. Calling people stupid, and calling the woman a bitch because she was leery of the dog, is hardly a way to win friends and influence people.
    I never called her a bitch, in my head yes but I never ever said it out loud, I would NEVER disrespect my elders that way, I have manners and again like I said before I WAS nice about the whole thing. ANd I am not over reacting but getting to that point with you people accusing me of doing so. And noone said I was trying to inlfuence anyone or make friends,

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    Unless you have a guide dog in NZ, you cannot really take them to shops,even some beaches you are not allowed to take them, but that is for obvious reasons.
    The states are the same as well

ALright all, this will be the last of my psoting I truely did not mean to offend or piss anyone off, guess noone can rant about anything here, I apologize, guess I'll just go take all my scary looking dogs and go play by ourselves, HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I am sick of breed discrimination
    You're sick of breed discrimination, while I am sick of people discrimination.

I agree that the older lady probably just didn't know if the dog was mean or not and would have asked the same question of ANY dog.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

You guys this is such a way to welcome a member who I consider a good friend. She was just VENTING - that's not against the rules here and you all drove her away. NOT FAIR!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

a lady about 50 maybe 55 to 60 years of age
    Actually, I don't think this is considered old, not by me anyways.
    Forever in my heart...

Drawing unwanted attention

It seems to me that the Pitty owner was drawing attention to herself by walking a dog in to a regular store, wearing a camo sweater, wide leather collar and a chain collar. To me, it has nothing to do with the poor dog, but with the person needing the attention. She got attention, both positive and negative then complained about the "negative" attention.

Not everyone feels secure about walking near an unknown dog.

I always ask people if it is ok to pet their dog/cat whatever. I have had a little dogs snap at me when I moved my hand toward it.

I would have asked if the dog was ok with me passing by, simply based on the two collars alone.

I think the title of the thread could have been worded a little less meanly as well. That seemed to set the tone.

You reap what you sow.

Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    I would have asked if the dog was ok with me passing by, simply based on the two collars alone.
    Anytime my dogs leave the property, they wear two collars! They wear quick release collars with their tags and I hook the leash to a buckle collar. I hope no one is afraid of my little Jake because he has two collars. And to think people are afraid of Layla because she wears two collars to Petsmart. I thought they were afraid of the way she looked and here it was the collars!
    Forever in my heart...

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Anytime my dogs leave the property, they wear two collars! They wear quick release collars with their tags and I hook the leash to a buckle collar. I hope no one is afraid of my little Jake because he has two collars. And to think people are afraid of Layla because she wears two collars to Petsmart. I thought they were afraid of the way she looked and here it was the collars!
    I think it was the fact that the two collars are the thick collar seen on many pit bulls because of their strength and the other collar... I think it was a chain collar? I dunno.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*