Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good Small pet?

Whats a good Small pet?

I am considering another pet of course I won't be able to get another pet until spring but I kinda ruled out ferrets since they are a bit too much work and money even though they are cute, I probably be worried a little since they would need more space. I am thinking about getting two rats since they are social creatures and are said to be intelligent and I've done a little homework though I got mixed messages on how long they can live some say 3-5 and others say 2-3 years. So I'm thinking not a huge difference but still like to figure that one out. Diet is a bit easier to maintain. I'm kinda wondering how big a cage I should get for two because I'm thinking about getting one that is several levels on it and having a hammock and hopefully two exercise wheels, might only be one. Well I was wondering what rats are like personality wise and quirks and such.

Ferrets are a huge responsibility and very expensive, comparable to a medium sized dog. Plus ferrets can live up to 15 years.

Rats are great pets, cheaper in the long run but expensive at the start. Unfortunately, pet store rats actually average 18 months of life. But I've had rats live longer than 3 years from pet stores.
    Cages must be quite large, even for rats who spend hours outside of their cage. They should be a minimum of 16 (preferably 18) inches on any side. The reason for this is because a small pet should be able to stretch out completely straight, including their tail, on any side of the cage. If they constantly have to be bent or hunched over, they can develop back problems. I think a good minimum for two rats is 2'x3'x2', and this is hardly much more than a person living in a one-room apartment. I'd nix the exercise wheels as they take up too much room, are argued to be too dangerous, and the typical rat prefers to just use them for another roosting area. Outside of cage time is more important.
    My most personable rat would follow me around and try to climb up my pants legs. My least personable rats I couldn't handle at first, but they came around enough to pick up if I had to. They're too individual to say for sure what yours would be like, but most are very friendly if handled well.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I see, I was planning on getting a rat from a rescue or re-home ad. I see, I was considering the flying saucer since it looks a bit safer, what about the exercise balls I use to have hamsters so I'm a little familiar. My hamsters we use to put them in an exercise ball. Though I looked on some sites I like Hsus.org for foods they can't have since that concerns me as much as what they can have. Do they require a lot of vet care? I mean if I get two I knowing how to pair them and how much spay or neutering would be. I wouldn't want a bunch of rat babies. I am probably going to wait until a graduate and get a job because it really depends on what kinda job I have if I get any pet, since there is a chance that I could be traveling and won't be able to be home enough to give them the care they need. It would just be stupid. Thanks IRescue, for your help.

It would be awesome if you rescued/adopted. There are thousands of homeless rats that need homes. A wheel/saucer isn't necessary for rats like they are hamsters. Rats need plenty of outside time where as hamsters can skip a day or two if your busy. You should avoid the ball, rats typically don't like them and it would be a waste of money. They prefer more stimulating toys or just playing with/on you. Most rats are about 10x friendlier than hamsters and they seem to play with you more then on you. But every rat is different. It seems that rats will need to go to the vet at least once through out their life but it may be for something like an abscess. Save up money for emergency vet trips because having rats almost guarantees that you will need to see a vet eventually. You'll know if you have a male, trust me they have huge 'manbits'. The females will...well they won't have them. :P Neutering and spaying is possible though. Neutering lowers chances of fighting between males and it necessary for some males to be able to live with other rats. Spaying lowers the risks of mammary tumours.

In my experience rats make awesome pets. Their personality varies widely but they are just such amazing animals. Be careful they can be addicting though. I started with one, got another one so that the first one wasn't lonely and eventually ended up with 7. :P

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Yeah I've seen some videos of the hairless ones on Youtube....one of them had some large ones. Though the closest rescue I found on petfinder.com is in Frankfort or Lexington I live in Louisville. So if I were to rescue on I deffiantly have to check the Animal service, since they say they get all sorts of animals, and maybe even the local humane society even though I've only seen them take cats and dogs. Though Maybe I might suggest we expand our horizon and do small and furry creatures since their is a huge volunteer pool and I think many of these people have other pets besides just cats and dogs.

You can try looking on online ads such as kijiji. I always see rats needing homes on there, although it does depend on the area. Good luck!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters

i had a pet rat about 15 years ago , i had 2 level bar cage that was big enough for a guinee pig it wasnt that expensive to buy , i accidently put his cage to close to my curtains one night and he made a lovely bed out of them , ive learnt that getting a pet rat tame is very important as if they try and run its extremely hard to catch them .
    i only had 1 so im not sure on how 2 should be kept , i do know that females are very territorial and fighting can occur .

my friend owns rats and she has had them for about 5 yrs now (well the oldest one is) i myself have two two toned mice (black and white) they are not a lot of work they basically eat anything and they are good wen u have small children that drop food that the dogs or cats wont eat. they usually all they need is like a house (mine prefer a reptile rock) but a paper roll or a cut up box something, a water dish, and depending on how many u have a wheel. i had ferrets and they were not that hard to take care of the prefer food ur suppose to feed them is kitten chow and that is alot cheaper then the ferret food and if u train them all u have to have is a litter box and depending on how many u have depends on their cage size....if ur looking for ferrets or want to find anything else out about them reply to this message or send me one

Rats are THE BEST pets to get. I have two little girls and they are more friendly than one of my kitties. Every day, I take them out of their cage and they cuddle w/ me, give me kisses, sit on my shoulder.....But, when you get a rat, like any animal, you have to get them used to you. (I bribed mine w/ cream cheese and yogurt. LOL) It took me only a week to befriend these adorable creatures. You should defenitely get rats.

They are very easy to take care of too. Clean cage, give treats and attention, food and water.......VERY SIMPLE

My rats have never liked the rodent balls though.
    Last edited by hammiegirl; 12-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmagoo View Post
    i had a pet rat about 15 years ago , i had 2 level i do know that females are very territorial and fighting can occur .
    Sorry I LOL'd at this. If you had seen my girls then you would too. Females typically aren't the territorial ones anyways. Males can be more territorial and usually only if they a hormonal imbalance which can be fixed with a neuter.

It's not the greatest quality but her is a picture of six of my girls hanging out. Yes they aren't in their cage but when ever they were in their cage and I was nearby it was a mad dash to see who could get into my pocket/sleeve or onto my shoulder first, no time for cuddly pictures. :P This picture was taken just after my first rat, Jazz passed away from old age. <3

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters

I'm not really looking for a ferret, I mean maybe someday in the future. Right now I think it may be wise to wait until I move out due to the house space issues. We have a dog too right now and even though I doubt if Chi will be much trouble, my parents won't like me getting another pet. So I will consider getting rats in the future but right now probably just want to stick to volunteering at shelters. Though every one has been very helpful, I have new concept of a rat.

Fresh Water Sting Rays bring the cool.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I rescued a one eyed rat named Winky that I rescued from Petco. They were gonna sell him as snake food!!!! Not as long as I'm alive. He lived for a year and a half and was diagnosed with testicular cancer (common in marats). He was wonderful. Very loving. My cats didn't bother him. As a matter of fact, they were afraid of him!!! He went to the bridge about 5 months ago and I miss him alot. I'd get another one (a female this time) if I didn't have Bad A$$ Buddy here, I'd definitely get another one. He is so mischevious and unpredictable.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I might e-mail the local rat rescues, and ask them about their rat adoptions and such. Though I think that probably will conclude that because I will have to think about this more seriously in 6 months from now... So One more question.

I also read Rats are Nocturnal which working 2nd shift and sometimes overtime is causing me to be somewhat nocturnal from time to time... but over all do they cause a lot of noise at night would you suggest a room away from the sleeping quarters?

i have mice and the only noise that they make is their running wheel.....it squeeks real bad but they make non-squeak ones....for the most part it isnt to bad...we live in a 15X20 cabin (meaning one big room) and u can hear them squeak to eachother but for the most part they dont make a noise.....my friend who owns rats have them in their kids rooms and they seem to be very good....sometimes pets will adapt to their humans/owners schedule.....