Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats a good Small pet?

I used to have two rats. They were so sweet. They actually played super well with my dalmatian. They were so cute together. They would climb on her and she would paw at them. GENTLY of course. They are super fun. Just don't fall asleep when you're playing with them. I did once... actually, nothing happened, I just found them chillin' out under my bed. haha I have a multi level cage for them. I would make sure they have high sides or put something around the cage because my rats loved to dig and would always kick out their bedding. Lol!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Rats are AMAZING pets. They are adorable, playful, entertaining and bond very strongly with their owners. I have 5 rats, all girls and I absolutely adore them. They are all so full of personality and are all so funny and loving.

One thing to consider though is that vet bills for rats are mad EXPENSIVE, even more so then cats and dogs, and rats are prone to health issues, so chances are you will have some vet visits. The best thing you can do to prevent a lot of health issues in ratties and also to pro-long their lives is to make sure they are in a proper sized cage, with at least one buddy. You can google rat cage calculator for some help. Keep them on quality bedding, like care fresh (NEVER EVER on pine & cedar as it is extremely toxic to small pets and esp rats), and feed them a quality food. Depending where you live, if you can buy harlan it is very worth it, but Hagens Hamster extrusion is also great for rats (no other hamster food is however) and I have seen hagens rat extrusion food before too but it can be tricky to find. Hagens is also well priced usually and rats seem to prefer the taste over other foods. Seed mixes are never a good staple food for rats, lab blocks are the best and great for their teeth.

Also, consider how much time you have to give them attention and out of cage time, as they really need it. They are really intelligent creatures and need a lot of mental stimulation. That said, make sure to have a lot of toys, hammocks, etc for them to play with in their cage.

Male and female rats tend to be pretty different in temperment as well. Males are generally bigger and lazier, and more likely to sit on your lap and let you snuggle them. They also tend to smell more though, esp if they aren't neutered. Females smell a lot less, are generally smaller and much more active and playful. I have 5 girls and although they love attention and kisses, they don't like to sit still for long. Girls are so entertaining to watch though lol.

There is so much to owning rats that I didn't know when I got my first rats, so do lots of research. jorats.com is a great forum for rat owners.

Hamsters, gerbils etc are great pets too, but I find they don't bond nearly as much with their owners, as rats, ferrets, chins, etc. I've never had a chinchilla but I have met a lot and have friends with chins. They are such sweet animals, and are really great odour-wise, they are not smelly pets at all. Neither are rats, but they can get smelly if their cage isn't kept up on.

I definitely recommend rats, if you have the time, energy and finances for them. They are very sweet and smart creatures. 2 of my rats even come to their names. But as I said, they are kind of fragile pets in the sense that they are prone to health issues so their diet and habitat is a crutial part of keeping them healthy.

They can also be pretty hard pets to have, in that they don't live long. If your rat makes it to be 3 years old you are very lucky. You get so bonded with them, and lose them so fast. It can be heart breaking but always remember not to let the heart break overpower the great 1-3 years you had with them. I lost one of my rats in September, from heart failure, at nearly two years old (not even a month away from turning 2). It was more difficult then I ever even imagined, and I swore I would never get anymore pet rats after these girls but I realized that I needed to cherish the time I had with her and continue to help other ratties. There are so many in need. If you do end up deciding on rats, if you'd like, if you let me know where you are from I can find you a rescue in your area to adopt from. Or buy from a reputable breeder if you are looking for a specific type, but make sure the breeder is reputable. Pet store rats, generally don't live long bc they are so inbred and not kept properly. I haven't seen even one pet store yet, that has had their rats properly housed and cared for. *sigh*

Good luck, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me, I have spent the past few years researching rat care and they are very rewarding pets to have.

PS: One thing also, esp. if you get babies, make sure you hold them as often as possible, so they are properly socialized and you will end up with some very snuggly, lovey rats. And always keep them in at least pairs, as rats do not do well alone and need a buddy to snuggle with and be 'rats' with. There is nothing like sticking your hand into a pile of snuggling sleepy rats lol. So cute.

Thanks a bunch, that was very insightful advice, Lilybean. I have only seen one rescue close by and it is 1.5 hours away. So drive wise its tad on long haul, though I think the people with the rescue really seem to know about the animals they rescue.

Rats sound fabulous but my all time favourite small animal would have to be the guinea pig. Great characters, friendly and easy to tame (well mine were anyway )