Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brief update on my university application.

Brief update on my university application.

Hello PT,

After yet another long period of school work and many other things eating up my time, I can spare a few minutes to let you all know how I'm getting on with my university application, and to hear how all my favourite PTers are doing.

As many of you know, I'm applying to study Veterinary Medicine, a subject which, over here, always has far more applicants than places (usually in a 7:1 ratio, eep) and has a very high entry level requirement.

I received invitiation for interview at both Glasgow and Cambridge universities. My Cambridge interview is this Friday, and although I do feel incredibly nervous about it, I am determined to give it all I have, and if it turns out that it doesn't work in my favour, then at least I'll know that I tried my best. My Glasgow interview is the following Friday.

I feel like I haven't stopped since early September - what with duties as Deputy Head Pupil and debating competitions (we managed to win our round of Cambridge Union Parliamentary Debating... which means we now have to work towards the regional finals, haha). Christmas please hurry up!!!

I hope everyone here is well and, if I don't get chance to post here beforehand, I hope you all have a very merry Christmas.

Zara

Zimbabwe 07/13

Oh, good luck with the interviews, we are sure you will knock them dead! They would each be lucky to have you as a candidate - and if you need any references we would happy to provide them!

If you end up in Glasgow, my old boss retired back home to Glasgow! I have been to visit once, and it's an interesting city, full of gold stone and warm people, even on a rainy January day.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks for stopping by Zara to let us know how you are doing, you are going to be a very busy young lady, and we are all so proud of you for doing so well, good luck with your studies and take care and enjoy your free time when and if you get any merry xmas to you and a happy new year.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

So good to hear how you are doing Zara!

Vet school is difficult but I can think of few others who stand as good a chance as you do!

I remember when my brother was applying for vet school - it was easier to get into medical school than vet school!

If it is Glasgow, I know a PetTalker with three gray ladies who leaves in a suburb....

Best wishes for incredibly successful interviews and a very merry Christmas!

I know exactly what you are going through, my daughter is going through the same thing right now. So much stress, so many deadlines. She had an interview with 15 people last Saturday, we are very glad to have that over with. I am positive they will accept you, good luck!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Best of luck with the interviews. Do you have a favorite Universary?

There is another PTer who also is going to be a Vet. I'm sure you two
    have a lot in common. Here is Kater's last post.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=157560
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I keep my fingers crossed, Zara. Viel Glück!
    But I am with Edwina's Secretary: you have excellent chances and we all here know they should be happy to get you

I have no doubt that you will awe the interviewers with your intelligence, grace, beauty, energy and confidence! Can't wait to hear how your interview with Cambridge goes! Lots of good energy and luck sent across the ocean!

I've been Boooo'd!

Ditto to what Karen said, and do let us know which University was lucky enough to get you.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Good luck, Zara!! I'll be thinking about you at Cambridge today!

I'm sure that all will be smooth sailing for you. The world needs more good vets and no doubt you're one in the making.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

How did you feel about the first interview then? I hope it went well for you.
    Good luck, but I am sure they will both be clamouring for you!

How incredibly wonderful Zara. My niece is a vet and yes the road is long, hard and at times lonely but the joy of realizing a dream stays with you all your life. Linda is a true animal lover and sees the beauty and joy in each creature she is perfect for the job and I am sure you will be as well.
    If I may give you just one bit of advice..
    Linda was always the smartest in every class she took all her life. When she got to Ohio State which is a first class vet school here in the states she wasn't the smartest any more. I am sure you have always been the brighest in every class as well. When you get to vet school you will be with your equals in intelligence, a new expericence for sure. Everyone stuggles, everyone finds the classes more difficult then they ever imagined and most get through it with a total sense of pride. It was a surprise to Linda how much work and how much there was to learn but she got through it and is doing well at her job in the clinic.
    I wish you all the best of luck. I am sure you will make an excellent Dr and the animals and their humans will find great happiness and hope with you.

Thank you very much for all of your kind words.

My Cambridge interview was .... difficult! Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be a walk in the park, but a little part of me was secretly hoping that I would be asked questions I knew all the answers to.

I had two interviews at Cambridge - the first with a biochemist, and the second with the head of veterinary studies at the college. The first interview was the toughest. I was basically asked questions regarding biology and chemistry experiments; I'm guessing they were looking for how you apply your knowledge to answer questions on something you've never heard about or seen performed. Had a sticky moment trying to work out logarithms in my head, but other than that I gave the rest of the questions my best shot. Still, I didn't come out of that interview feeling particularly great.

The second one went better, I felt. The questions were still very academic but more vet-related, and I got the chance to bring in some anecdotes from my work experience, as well as articles and the likes that I've read. So, overall, I couldn't tell you how I think I did. I suppose it partially depends on how all the other applicants handled it!

The Cambridge college I've applied to, Sidney Sussex, is BEAUTIFUL. It's in the centre of Cambridge town whilst still being secluded within its own little walls. I would really, really love to study there, but of course I just don't know how my application has been judged. A friend who applied to study art at Oxford university got his rejection through a few days ago. And he thought his interview went well - so on that basis I'm a bit uneasy about my chances!

The Glasgow interview was entirely different. They were more interested in what I've gained from my work experience, my stance on ethical issues, my interests and me as a person. I felt that interview went quite well, as my debating experience has taught me to gab on and on about my points of view. But, of course, nothing is certain, and the other applicants I met that day seemed confident about it too. So, we'll see.

Glasgow is lovely too - they've just had an amazing new small animal hospital built. I could definitely see myself in one of the swanky little consulting rooms, haha.

I still haven't heard from my other universities (Edinburgh and the Royal Veterinary College, London), but I'll find out whether it's yea or nay from Cambridge and Glasgow in January.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Wherever you do go, they will be VERY lucky to have you Zara. You are very mature and wise beyond your years. I'm 56 and still not sure what I wanna be when I grow up. You've got it all mapped out. I commend you.

Have a wonderful holiday, honey. I'll be thinking of you.

(((((HUGS))))) and

Donna and fur kids

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!