Thread: Thinking of adopting kitten but...

Thinking of adopting kitten but...

Hi,
    I lost my 16 year old kitty to cancer last December 2008, and it was so heartbreaking to lose him. My remaining 12 year old kitty seems to still miss him, as she still cries in the middle of the night. It's been a year, and I'm thinking of adopting from a rescue shelter. I'm thinking my kitty would welcome a kitten rather than an adult. I know it will take a while, and I'll have to do the separating thing with introducing them slowly. But what if it doesn't work out and she doesn't accept the newcomer? Any feedback.

I am so sorry for the loss of your baby.. Yes I would say with your 12 yr old to try adopting a kitten for sure.. Older adults always will accept a kitten say 3 to 6 month old baby.. They will do babies before they will do adults.. Yes I would go to the shelters or pet finder on the internet & just start looking.. Good Luck & keep us posted ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thank you lvpets2002. That's what I thought, too, she would accept a kitten more readily. Maggie, my remaining kittie, was actually a feral and lost her babies, probably to a wild animal, when she was still living outside. So maybe the maternal instinct wil help. She was really close to my kitty that died. Yes, I've been looking on Petfinders and my local Humane Society and Animal Control. I did see a Siamese kitten online thru Petfinders at a local rescue shelter, These are cats rescued from Animal Control and other shelters. I may go by and visit this rescue org. Thanks again.

I would have said the opposite, lol! That a 12 year old won't have the energy to keep up with a kitten and will be annoyed. That an adult, even just 3 years old, will be a better fit.

That said, I started with adults, went on to bring in 3 andd 4 month olds, and have had success.

Either way be realistic: you can't make them be best buddies, playing and snuggling up together. You CAN insist they live together in peace and harmony.

When I have my 1st cat and went in to adopt my 2d at the local shelter, they suggested I get the opposite sex. That seemed to work.

What ever you decide, rescue is the way to go. Best wishes! Hey, let us know what you do, and post piccies!

Thanks Freedom. I love your large family! That's amazing!

I know; someone else mentioned same thing with maybe kitten being too active. Maggie is still playful but then loves her nap time, too! Yes, I am looking for a male. I will let you know what happens.

I have had good luck placing kittens with senior cats. Just do the intro slowly. One time I adopted a 3 month old out to a person who had a 13 year old female. She decided that he was HER kitten!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Thanks, Smokey the Elder,
    That is what I am thinking with Maggie - that she may adopt it as her own. I just read an article on dogs and cats grieving the loss of a soulmate. One of the signs of grieving is clinging; another crying, not eating. My cat has both the first two signs, but her appetite is great. Thanks again for your feedback.

I tend to agree with Freedom!!! Maybe if you gave your cat more attention and affection, she will enjoy her senior years as queen of your home.....just something to ponder....
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm glad to hear that you're ready to open up your heart and home to another kitty. I agree with what everyone else has already said but I also have another suggestion. If you want to adopt a kitten then maybe you should consider adopting 2 kittens. This way your older cat can play and interact with them and then when she wants to sleep she can have her quiet time away from them because they can then play together while she's sleeping. Just a thought. Good luck.

Hi KB2YJX,
    I do give her lots of TLC as I'm retired. We have play time, and I talk to her all the time. It's at night I notice she's still crying for my other cat. It's been a year since my other cat crossed the RB, so I'm not rushing into anything.

krazyaboutkatz

Hi,
    Oh I wish I could adopt 2 kittens, as I just saw two Siamese kittens that are siblings. Someone is thinking of adopting both, so I hope it happens. I would not want to separate the two of them. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, and it's a 2 cats limit. I am lucky though, as most apartments here only allow 1 pet, not fair, but apartment rules. One of these days I am going to have my own house. Thanks again.

I echo krazy's suggestion of 2 kittens. AND, if you get two kittens that look alike, no one will know you have 3 anyhow. LOL, really...there is a story behind that statement. And, I have 8 cats. 5 are tuxedos, my own mother can hardly tell them apart. I have an all black kitten and an adult all black cat. Give the kitten another 6 months and it will be hard telling them apart, even to me. Then, I do have the one lone tabby. He he he...

If you go with one kitten- please, please, please give it TIME to adjust...keeping them separate as long as you can to make sure the ultimate free range plan works.

Though, with little kittens...10-12 weeks, the transition for me has nearly always been seemless.

Good luck, and may a new kitten come to you soon.

I'm glad that you are thinking of adopting. As a member of SCAT I know there are a number of cats and kittens in south Cal.
    The only trick we use is a face to face and lots of attention for every one, I have 3 on a transport hold right now, 1 kitten (Rag doll) about 8-9 months, 1 (Persian) about 2 years and a Siamese about 5. The CREW gets along with them and they with the CREW.
    Like I said lots of love and attention.
    GILL & Crew;

Hi Cataholic,
    That is so funny with the three cats. The two I looked at today did look alike. One was a little smaller, the female. The rescue places all call my Manager here at the apartment complex, or I might try it. Thanks for the advice of keeping them apart at first, too.

Hi Gill,
    What a beautiful crew of felines, and also keeping the memory of the lost ones next to it. Yes, there are so many amazing rescue groups here in Southern CA working with shelters to save and find forever homes for these kitties and dogs, too. We have a lot of people here who rent, as houses are so expensive. So many apartments don't allow pets which is sad.