Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far do you live from your parents?

I live about 20 minutes away from my parents. My two brothers live much farther away. One lives in Texas and the other one lives in San Diego which would be 8-10 hours away I think. They do have another home in San Clemete which is about 45 minutes from my brother in San Diego. When my parents are in town, I have dinner with them every Sunday.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 11-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.

I live w/ my parents. Or my mom I mean. My dad lives about 20 min. away. I live w/ my mom cause I have no reason not to...I don't have a husband or any kids...I help my mom out w/ payments sometimes...and she doesn't mind it so it just works out for us I dunno when I'll ever move out...guess when I get married and have to lol.

But I don't think just because you're moving it means you love your mom any less. I bet she's just gonna miss you a bunch and the thought of her daughter being 4 hours away might be a little scary or somethin! She'll get use to it, don't feel bad.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    16 hours. 1000 miles. We are in Fort Worth, Texas and my parents are in Columbia, South Carolina. David's parents are in Leesville, Louisiana, about 5 hours from us.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    As for why I moved, it was to be with my husband (we started dating in 2006, and I moved to Texas to be with him). My mother was saddened by my leaving, as was I. But, she is and always been very supportive and encouraging in me creating my own family. And, sometimes that means being apart from them. In a perfect world, we'd all live within an hour of each other. David would be fine with moving to the Carolinas but the work just isnt there for him.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Right now i live in their basement (gosh that sounds HORRIBLE) but in three months I'll be moving 3 hours away from them, and closer to the inlaws. oh for joy!

My folks CHOSE to move AWAY from their kids! They retired from Indiana to Florida! So, we are about 18 hours away by car.... but only about 3 hours by plane! We always try to visit when we can, and they ALWAYS come to Indiana for a wedding, Christmas, and usually once a summer. We miss one another, but as others have said, fortunately we live in the age of technology, and we are only a phone call/email away from one another. I talk to my folks probably 3 or 4 times a week, and the emails can be even more frequent.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

I only live a little over an our from both my parents and my husband's parents. We don't live here because of our parents though, we live here because this is where my husband's job is.

My husband has 2 sisters, one is a 9 hour drive away, and the other is a 24 or so hour drive away. The one that lives 9 hours away visits a few times a year, the other visits for a couple weeks every summer (she and her son fly down). My in-laws also visit each of their daughters a couple times a year.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I wish I was only 4 hours from my parents, that would be awesome!

They live in South Carolina which is about 530 miles from here. It is of course better than the 1050 miles we used to live from them.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thank you all for your responses!

Mom is still acting like I am deserting her. I don't want to NOT take this opportunity and look back and regret it. I think it's a great way for me to get started on my own and it's something I really want to do. It just puts a damper on things I guess that she's so unhappy about it and looks at it like I'm betraying her and that I don't care.

My parents are no longer alive. When i was younger I had several jobs that
    took me thousands of miles away and then there were periods where they
    lived just down the street. When my father died we lived very close by and
    in fact planned to go out for my Birthday when news came to me at work that he had died. When my mother died we lived very close and I was seeing her quite often since he suffered from dementia and we knew her days were numbered.

Now the role is reversed and my son has lived thousands of mile away for
    a about 20 years. There was a short period while I lived in the Netherlands
    he was stationed in Germany so I saw him all the time. We had 2 Christmas
    over there and I was able to rent places in Austrian Alps so we could have Christmas together.

My son just a year ago moved to Alabama from Arizona, and now is my next
    door neighbor.

I am about an hour (on a bad) from both my mom and my in-laws, so not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sumbirdy View Post
    Thank you all for your responses!

Mom is still acting like I am deserting her. I don't want to NOT take this opportunity and look back and regret it. I think it's a great way for me to get started on my own and it's something I really want to do. It just puts a damper on things I guess that she's so unhappy about it and looks at it like I'm betraying her and that I don't care.
    Tell her:

I am your daughter, and always will be
    Nothing can change that;
    Not miles, not years, nor physical distance
    All you have taught me,
    Intentionally or not
    By lesson, or example
    Will always be part of me
    As will the undeniable physical things
    The curve of my jaw, the way that I laugh
    All the things that I see in the mirror
    That I see when I look at you
    Will always be a part of me.
    I am your daughter, and always will be
    For better or worse, nothing can change that
    Nor would I want it to.
    But like a baby bird, my time has come
    To leave the nest and try out my wings
    To fly, on my own, and see what life brings
    But no matter what,
    I am your daughter
    And always will be.

(adapted of course, if you got your jawline from your Dad's side, etc!
    I got Dad's chin/jawline, but Ma's laugh and hair!)
    I've Been Frosted

I live in my parents house, I can't legally move out yet. I say I can't wait till I move out but I don't know about that. I don't wanna go to a dorm or apartment just yet, We'll play it by ear. I love my parents so I cannot see myself moving to far away but I do wanna move out of Jersey, I want to go out west - preferably the northwest region. But I could settle for New England or NYC - love the city with all my heart too lol.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My first move from home took me 3000 miles across the country - from RI to CA. I married a military man, so we went where Uncle Sam directed us.

I only lived in CA for about 6 months, and then Uncle Sam decided we should move to VA, and we were there for about 2 years before my ex's enlistment was up. I talked him out of being a career man like his father and brother, since I hated not having roots anywhere. We then moved to MD for a few years, and then eventually to here in DE.

I would get back home to RI a couple of times a year, and my parents would come to visit us also. After my dad passed away, my mother moved to DE since she was a semi invalid and could not live by herself. When she passed away, she was buried next to my father in RI, and I haven't been back there since (about 25 yrs ago).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have not lived close to my parents for most of my life. When I was sixteen I moved from RI to MD, moved back for a short time with them (maybe 6 months) after high school, then out for good. I travelled back to Maryland after a couple of years and have been here ever since. My Mother passed on 10 years ago; my Father lives in Florida, happily with his "girlfriend" (they're over 80 - that just sounds funny) in separate houses. He comes here every Christmas; each of his kids visit him once a year in warmer weather.

My husband, on the other hand, had always lived near his parents (same town, he moved out at 18, though). They have both passed on as well.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!