Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far do you live from your parents?

How far do you live from your parents?

Right now I live WITH my parents. However I was offered a job that pays more than my current one and next February I will be moving 4 hours away to take it. My boyfriend lives 7 hours from the place I am moving to and hopefully one day I will be living up there with him where there will be 2 benefits. A) The guy I adore and B) Even BETTER jobs and a great college. Well maybe that's 3 benefits. My problem is...my mother thinks because I'm moving away that I don't love her and don't want to be around her. That's not true...but I do want independence and a life, and I do want to go somewhere where I'm able to survive on my own (here I have to live with my parents because I don't even make enough to be able to afford my own place) Plus my best friend lives where I'm moving to, so I'll have someone I know there. I can't seem to make her see my reasoning. Anyway she tried to tell me that the majority of people live close to their parents, so it got me thinking, how far do YOU live from your parents? If you moved far away how did it go over with them? What made you decide to stay close or move away?

I'm only 10 miles from my parents. I did however live 1,000 miles away for five years. Luckily we did get to visit as my parents could afford the trip. My parents were happy about the move as my husband and I couldn't find suitable work here at the time.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Four hours isn't too far away- it's close enough to come home on the weekends if you want to! Do you think you will room with your friend?

My mom lives 800 miles away and my dad lives over 1,000 miles away. At first I missed my mom quite a bit, but now I am used to it (we have lived here 3.5 years). I still get to see my mom at least 4 times a year and my dad probably once a year.

Good luck!

I'll probably be staying with my friend until I can find a place of my own. And I'll be useful there. Her husband just died about 6 months ago and she's trying to raise her little girl, so I'm sure I can find ways to be needed there.

We live 45 miles from my dad, and about 3 1/2 miles from Paul's mom. Distance has nothing to do with love, or with caring, tell your mom that, okay? You're an American - we are peripatetic folks! It's not like it's 1809 and you'd have to rely on letters for communication! And she does want you to succeed in life, I am sure. Change is hard, some folks resist it with a lot of energy, but often it is a good thing!
    I've Been Frosted

We live 47 miles from my dad. I wish it was closerby, it takes us 50 minutes to get there! He will be 87 in January!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I live about an hour and a half from my parents. I did live a little over two hours away for several years. Where we live is perfect. Go north an hour and a half and you're at my parents, go south the same distance and you're at Bruce's moms.
    My sister lives over 8 hours away. But my parents have always been very supportive of what we choose to do in our lives. My brother and his family live right next door to my parents, so they always have family very close by. I go visit often and my sister comes down when she can.

Don't let your mom influence your decision too much. She might not like the arrangements at first, but you will all adjust after a while. Personally I think it might make the relationship even stronger. You'll cherish time spent together even more. Like Karen said, let her know you still love her. Moving away doesn't change that. Make plans to talk on the phone on a regular schedule. I talk to my mom on my way home from work twice a week (it was everyday but I run out of minutes on my phone, so we had to cut it down to twice a week). She even started watching some of the shows I watch so we have things to talk about.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I live and hour and a half away from my parents. One hour north, half hour west when you're driving the speed limit and the weather is favorable.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Well, since both my parents are taking dirt naps, I'd say about 30 minutes away. Rose Hill Memorial Park is a beautiful place, peaceful and serene.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I've never lived more than an hour from my parents, even when I was in college. I'm an only child so they miss me when I'm gone, LOL. Right now I'm about 15 minutes away.

I'm about a 13-14 hour drive away from my parents. I don't like being that far away, but it is a work-related thing for us. We're about 8 hours from my husband's mom.

I live about 9-10 hours away from my parents and Brian lives about 16+ hours from his parents. so we are kind of in between both sets of parents.

Brians mom is very sad that they live so far away because she wants to be closer to Hannah of course all the grandparents feel that way.

My mom is very happy for me that I am living somewhere that I love and am very happy.

My dad is kind of like the OP's mom. he thinks that my number one priority should always be them. he doesn't really get that I have my own little family now. not that he isn't a part of it... he is. but getting up there for every single event and holiday is just not possible and he guilts me all the time about it and it really puts a damper on the time I do spend with him or when I talk to him. I'd like to enjoy my time visiting but half of the time is spent complaining that I don't get up there enough and he takes it personally when we go visit Brians parents in stead of coming up there like his parents don't matter and don't deserve to see us. but I am the only child that lives more than an hour away and two of which live just down the street. so he just can't really understand why I live far away.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by sumbirdy View Post
    How far do YOU live from your parents? If you moved far away how did it go over with them? What made you decide to stay close or move away?
    8 miles. About a 20-minute drive, but I can do it in 15 in a pinch. But less than a mile from my brother and his family. I chose the neighborhood where I live now because it's close to my brother and family and to my sister and family. I had an opportunity to live in downtown Chicago when I worked at RIC, which I didn't take, but I should have jumped at the chance.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh, you know, right down the hall.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

About 20 minutes away from my parents and 10 minutes from the in-laws. All of my family lives pretty close to each other, the furthest away is an hour.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant