Thread: Biggest memorial service ever held for a German athlete in Hannover today

Biggest memorial service ever held for a German athlete in Hannover today

Don't know if you have heard about that (I know it was also on cnn), but the goalkeeper of the German soccer team, Robert Enke, has committed suicide on Tuesday. He was only 32 years old. He leaves his wife and a little baby girl the couple has adopted earlier this year, after they lost their own little daughter three years ago (the little girl was born with a serious heart condition and died at the age of two).

The day after Robert Enke's death, the public learned that he has suffered from severe depression for many years. He didn't want to go to a clinic in fear his illness would become public. He feared consequences for his job, and for the adoption of their baby girl. Obviously he couldn't take the pressure anymore, and choose to step in front of a train...

Robert Enke's death seems to have shaken the entire country deeply, it's touching many people. There was a service held the day after his passing, and 30,000 joined a silent march through the city of Hannover. And thousands of candles are burning outside Hannover's soccer stadium.

Today, there was a huge memorial ceremony, the biggest one (except the one for our first chancellor, Adenauer) Germany has ever seen. It has been held in the soccer stadium of Enke's team, Hannover 96, and almost 40,000 people came to say goodbye, including his family and teammates. It was very moving and very tastefully done. In the end, his Hannover 96-teammates carried the casket out of the stadium while "The Rose" was played, it's been really moving. Only one week ago, it's been there in the same place that he last played for his team...

Here are some ccn articles:
    Tens of thousands gather for Enke's memorial
    Germany stunned by Enke's suicide death

And this is from timesonline:
    Germany stunned after 'suicide' of Robert Enke, national team goalkeeper
    Suicide and Robert Enke's widow's tears leave Germany numbed with grief

Kirsten

I have no clue for all things soccer but I heard that this guy was a really nice and un-arrogant guy. I am very sorry for him.

Yes, everyone says he's been a great man, very down-to-earth and thoughtful. Not to forget, he and his wife cared a lot for animals. They adopted 8 dogs from South European countries, and obviously supported animal recue groups.

Kirsten

I heard about it on the morning news. How sad that this young man did not feel he could get help for his depression. And, how sad for his family, teammates, and fans.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

How very sad, but we will keep his wife and daughter in our prayers. Depression is such a horrible illness, and so misunderstood, it is tragic that he felt he could not get help.
    I've Been Frosted

I also heard of this tragedy. My husband was telling me when he came from work.

Indeed, money does not make a difference if you're struck with such problems, like in his case loosing a child. Poor family what a dark moment they must be going through!

Yes, very sad! It was heartbreaking to see the widow crying during the service. Three years ago, she had to bury her child, and now her husband.

Kirsten

From Wikipedia - for what it is worth:

His widow Teresa revealed that her husband had been suffering from depression for six years and was treated by a psychiatrist.[27]
    Information on the letter he left behind:
    http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%...12-179584.html

Robert, you didn't have to do this...you hid your truth from everyone...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh, how very sad. I am so very, very sorry for his family and all who love him. Such a tragic, unnecessary loss.

Rest in peace, Robert Enke. You are very much loved and missed and mourned by many.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This is terrible............

I understand very well why Enke was so scared to tell about his depression to the adoption services!! Years ago, we were in an adoption procedure too. And there was 1 very strict rule: they did NOT accept people who had ever suffered from depression!! I had to lie to then, because I had one a few years before!
    I feel so sorry for his wife..........................
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks for the link, Candace. Yes, that sums it up very well. How hard must it have been to plan all this, and not to tell the people close to him, especially his wife!

Lut, I'm very sorry you had to lie about this! But I can understand why you did it.

Seems to me that too many people suffer from depression these days. Now, after Robert Enke's suicide, the subject is brought to more people's attention, and I hope that there's going to be a day when depressive people are no longer labelled as "weak" or "negative". Everyone who has ever dealt with a depression knows that it deserves a lot of respect if a person is facing the challenges of this terrible disease.

But I understand why Robert Enke couldn't make it public, not only because of his adoptive daughter, but also because of his job. Soccer fans can be cruel, and at least the ones of oppenent clubs would have held it against him... I hope he has now found the peace he couldn't find in life, and that he's now with his little daughter Lara.

Here's a video tribute to him and his late daughter that I found on youtube, I found it very touching:

Robert and Lara Enke R.I.P

Kirsten