Thread: legitimate rescue?

legitimate rescue?

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I recently started fostering for a rescue that I will leave nameless for the time being. Well, my concern is I was told before hand, and it states on their website, that all kittens would be checked by a vet and vaccinated before going to a foster home. AFTER I picked up the kittens and 2 became a little sick, I was informed they had NOT been seen by a vet or vaccinated. Then, my sister (also a foster), who had took in 4 kittens, had 2 become severely ill!! When she called the woman in charge she told her the kitten would probably die so leave it in a box and if it dies, it dies!!!

Now, I am seriously wondering if rescues are allowed to take in kittens without properly providing vet care? If they know a kitten is ill, are they responsible for getting vet care or putting it down so it is not suffering? They would not even tell my sister what was wrong or if it was something contagious. She has 2 cats of her own she is now worried about.

The rules vary from state to state. I would check with Animal Control where you live, and speak to the Better Business Bureau about any other complaints with this group. What they did seems very irresponsible.
    I've Been Frosted

Yeah, I was very upset by this. I don't want to continue with them anymore, but I am worried if I give the kittens back they might end up sick again and suffering. Thanks so much though, I will contact Animal Control tomorrow.

I agree with Karen, that is very irresponsible.

The rescue I volunteered with was a feral cat rescue. So we knew any kittens were coming in from the wild and hadn't been vet checked. It was our responsibility as fosters to get them in pronto, for the safety of our own cats, and to get the kittens started on any meds they needed. (The rescue paid for the vetting, we had a list of pre approved vets to use.) Someone would phone and make sure we were doing OUR part, getting the kits checked and started on their shots.

Leaving a kitten in a box and "if it dies, it dies" is neglect at a minimum!

Being involved with rescue, foster, and transport. I find it appalling that someone would say “if it dies it dies”. As far as I am concerned this is not a rescue group and should be reported.
    EVERY rescue and transport has got to have the vet papers before moving. NONE of the fosters including myself will take in an animal until it has been to the vet and we see the papers.
    GILL & Crew;

Things like that make legitimate rescues look bad. Call the authorities and report her. I'll bet any amount of money that she's taking in money and doing nothing to help the animals. She needs to be put outta business. There are far more LEGITIMATE rescues that are all about the animals. She sounds like a hoarder to me. Please, for the sake of the animals, LOOK INTO IT!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!