Thread: Dog Joint Supplement?

Dog Joint Supplement?

I have a question on what joint supplement is the best. Heidi will be a senior in December (7 years old) and I know that having them on a joint supplement helps prevent problems and such, so I was wondering what kind is best? She is currently taking Cosequin once a day two "bonelets" which are 500mg of Glucosmine Hydrochloride and 500 mgs of MSM and it also has Green Lipped Mussel in it. I was wondering if this is a good one and what does everyone use, if they use something? Thanks!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I just use an OTC glucosamine/chrondritin (sp??) complex that you can pick up in any vitamin section of any store. I get it at Walmart - very cheap compared to what you buy from the vet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I use Joint Care 3 from Drs. Foster and Smith. They make one for small breeds and had it on sale, so I stocked up!

I use otc glucosamine/chrondritin/msm that I purchase at wallyworld. i think that Cosequin is just an expensive way to get glucosamine/chrondritin/msm. They try to make the source of these ingredients sound special but I doubt the additional cost is justified. IMO

So do you have to figure out the MGs and everything or is it already in the right amount?

Joint Support

I've been giving my 45-lb. setter-spaniel mix a heaping tablespoon of Missing Link Plus since she was 4 yrs. old. Then since about 7 yrs. old, she has been getting two 250-mg. chewable glucosamine chrondroitin tabs daily, one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.

She's now 17 years old and does a happy dance before her daily walk and can do stairs with few problems. She has had no health problems other than cataracts and partial deafness.

My little one's breed (JP) is supposed to have a 10-12 yr. average life span. I'm duplicating my elder dog's regimen and hoping for the best!
    DAISY and LILY, my white flower girls

As far as I know Cosaquin doesn't have MSN in it. However the same company has a product called Dasaquin w/MSN. I'm not sure if you can get that at a pet store or not.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

As far as I know Cosaquin doesn't have MSN in it. However the same company has a product called Dasaquin w/MSN. I'm not sure if you can get that at a pet store or not.
    You are right standard Cosaquin does not have MSM. They make a product called "Cosaquin optimized MSM"

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    You are right standard Cosaquin does not have MSM. They make a product called "Cosaquin optimized MSM"

I had to google it because we don't carry that at work and I've never heard our sales reps mention it. Now I know why, it's listed as an equine supplement. We don't do large animal where I work so that's why I've never heard of it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions! Now i know where to go without spending an arm and leg!

Joint Sypplement

Just a novices Question : Is Antioxidant treats by Nzymes Useful as a joint suplement??--Thanks