Thread: Mutts in the AKC shows!!

Mutts in the AKC shows!!

I was just informed by a friend that mutts are allowed to be shown in AKC classes.... what happened to the good old, AKC is a purebred Dog Reg. I guess the only good one is changing its ways.

From what I'm assuming I'm pretty sure it's just agility classes and the such that allow mutts not the conformation classes. I don't really think it should matter for agility classes considering that it's the speed and not the breed that counts.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Yes, it is agility, obedience and not breed specific sports that allow mixed breeds, or spayed or neutered dogs to compete. The conformation shows are what most people think of as "dog shows" but in reality, there are many more aspects to dog showing.
    I've Been Frosted

Yep, it's only obedience, rally, agility, etc. It would be impossible to have mixed breed dogs in conformation. There is no standard to compare them to. I personally think it's wonderful that AKC is accepting mixed breed dogs in these events! Just think of all the mixed breed dogs that will be able to do great things in these activities! Mutts miss out I think. I do hope they don't put them against purebred dogs. I think they should have their own events. The common person would probably not be able to tell the difference between many purebreds and mixed breeds.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Define "good". A lot of breed enthusiasts believe the AKC standards ruin breeds and make the dogs incapable of performing the tasks they were bred for. The AKC also registers puppy mills without so much as checking on their conditions. And isn't it a good thing for mutts to be in agility and obedience and such so they can be just as well-rounded and well-trained as a purebred?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton