Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question of the day - November 3rd!

Question of the day - November 3rd!

What single event has had the most impact on your present life? There could be several separate events.

For me it was my grandmother dying I was very close to her and we would talk all the time and she would just listen to me and never judge me.

Also losing my Rocky & Jenny has had a huge impact on my life, I miss them every day more and more. Next month will be a year he has passed and his birthday was on Sunday and he would have been 13.

Also owning pets has had a huge impact on my life -- they are always there for me no matter what and I love them with all my heart. They are wonderful!! Also volunteering at the shelter has a huge impact on my life too all the shelter animals are amazing!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I have more than one events:

- The passing of my grandmother in 1999
    - The passing of my grandfather in 2008
    - The passing of Benny, Anna, and Rosie - my dogs
    - Meeting Mike, my boyfriend in January of 2007
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I really don't know what to put as the biggest impacts in my life. I have been fortunate enough to have not lost a family member that I was real close to, but I have lost a LOT of animals over the years and that has really made a difference in my life. The animal I miss the most was my dog Monzaya. She was a collie and I had had her since I was 7 years old-she died when I was 17 so that would have made her 10.. That was 4 years ago now, but I still think about her a lot. I have a picture of her and me together when I was about 10 and she must have been about 3. I keep it on my night stand near my bed.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

1. Watching my children come into the world. There aren't words to describe the miracle of birth.
    2. Watching my grandsons come into the world What a blessing!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Probably the 2 botched surgeries and the final one to repair what the other 2 screwed up back in 2006. It resulted in permanent nerve damage (spinal cord issues) and my subsequent retirement on disability. I had wanted to retire, but not under those circumstances.

Also my divorce in 2007 after living apart for about 13 years. I don't know why I ever waited so long to make the final break. If I had to do it over again, the divorce would have been much sooner.

And of course the death of my brother in 2004. Made me sit back and ponder my own mortality. Today would have been his 70th birthday. It's just me and my oldest brother left now and he will be 75 next week. Where have the years gone????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sassy's death - I had never "known" death of someone that close to me. Horrible experience.

Work this summer - made me find a new found love and brought me back to my old "happy" self, I came out of my shell too.

Accquatiance death - It made me see how young someone can just be gone one day. It showed me I am not invincible in my teen years
    Last edited by Alysser; 11-03-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Genny it doesn't have to be losing a family member close to you of course pets are family members too. But like if someone taught you something you will never forget that had a great impact on your life it doesn't have to be losing someone just what has had a great impact on your life.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Most significant not only for me, but significant for all of you - my meeting Paul! Without us meeting, this site would not exist!
    I've Been Frosted

I guess I would have to say the death of my dad. Though, in all reality, the impact he made was in the years he was alive. He was only in his late 40s when he passed away, but he impacted so many people just by treating them all the same. I had never seen so many people at a funeral service. He instilled in me a drive to always go for your dreams... and a love of Star Trek. He will always be my hero.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

This question makes me think of Dido's song - "I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life"

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    What single event has had the most impact on your present life? There could be several separate events.
    In 6th grade, when I was being bullied, my parents decided I would go to private school for junior high and high school. That led to admission to a good college, which led to a terrific first job, which led to a master's degree.

The first few weeks of my freshman year of college. The orientation sessions for band and choir were held at the same time in different places. I'd been in both in high school. I chose to attend the band orientation. My high school didn't have a marching band. My RA, who was also in band, pushed and dragged me to the first few rehearsals. I was terrified because I had no idea what to do. Because Carol wouldn't take no for an answer, I have two friends from those days that I'm still extremely close to - and this is now 25 years later. Plus the people I've kept in touch with via Christmas cards and now on Facebook.

The decision to change churches, leaving the church where I grew up to join the one where my single adult fellowship meets. That has led to yet another group of friends and a lot of happy times.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Having my son

Getting married

The death of my father
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Genny it doesn't have to be losing a family member close to you of course pets are family members too. But like if someone taught you something you will never forget that had a great impact on your life it doesn't have to be losing someone just what has had a great impact on your life.

I guess I have many-but here are a few: When we moved into our new house that was a huge change-- when my bf and I broke up not long ago; that changed my plans for my nights out for a while --when my little brother was born. That was a very fun time that I remember --When we got each of our dogs when they were puppies! That is something I won't forget--When we found out that my grandmother had alzheimers. I didn't realize it at the time when we first found out, but now years later after finding out she had it I have begun to realize just how heartbreaking and how much that can change a person's life and everyone that loves them too. I'm sure there's many more things but that's all right now.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

The death of John Lennon..(.goodbye to my sweet youth)

Dad's death, Nov 27, 2002

Being laid off after 30+ yrs..April 2, 2003

Cody going to the Bridge, April 3, 2003

Adopting Logan, July 2, 2003

Mom's death, June 18, 2005

Two spine surgeries Jan 05/June 05

My dog attack April 2006

Meeting John approx 2001...can't live with him, can't live without him. But he takes great care of me.

Sounds like sad experiences, but they made me stronger and more compassionate and caring. When you change your parents' diapers, you realize love overpowers all.

I've been Boooo'd!

On the positive end: My meeting John. We have gone to hell and back with each other. He is my soulmate Our 6th year anniversary is in February. He leads to an event that has impacted me more than anything else, the birth of my son Nicholas. I know now the love a mother can have for a child, and it is the most special and beautiful thing there is. I am so blessed to be able to experience that.

On the negative end: The loss of my daughter Nina. Losing a child changes a person in ways that can't even bee imagined. Even though the sadness will never ever go away, I am comforted to know that she is in heaven, watching over her little brother.

Going away to college and summers at the cabin. I am so thankful everyday for this experience. I look at my twin brother who is sitting at our parent's house going to the CC and I realize he doesn't have any drive to go anywhere in life and doesn't have a clue about the "real world". With the help of college I found who I am and have learned more about life in general than I would have ever expected. This also led to meeting the love of my life and I think I would be in a much different place right now if it weren't for him. I have also formed a much closer bond with my family as a result.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08