Thread: Do you ever forget...

Do you ever forget...

... to ask your doctor some questions when you go there? I do!

Well, I went yesterday and got some kind of Penicillin (Dicillin)-. I'm supposed to take 4 a day. This is quite a problem, because I should take them no more than one hour before a meal and at least 2 hours after a meal. AND, I can not take them before bedtime and lay down after taking them. Does anyone know why!

So I called my doctor today to ask if I can take 3 a day instead of 4 and she said OK. Phew!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Hi Randi,

I look up any meds I am prescribed online to see what I can find about them. There is usually a host of information including side-effects and any warnings about the drug.

Dicillin is currently not marketed in the US, according to the internet, so it was difficult to quickly find a site that had info (I'm messing about at work so I could only do a quick search). It will probably be easier for you to find some info on the internet since it is available in Denmark - you will be able to access those sites quickly.

Hope this helps!
    Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Thank you, I've done that, but nowhere does it say why you need to take them an hour or two before and after meals, and why you can't lay down. Pills usually should be taken with a meal.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thank you, I've done that, but nowhere does it say why you need to take them an hour or two before and after meals, and why you can't lay down. Pills usually should be taken with a meal.
    In a lot of instances, food affects the absorption of the medication, and if you have food on your stomach, you may not be getting the full benefit of that med. As far as laying down, you usually hear of that where the possibility of reflux could cause damage to the esophagus, so there must be some ingredient in that med that could do this.

Hope this helps!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    In a lot of instances, food affects the absorption of the medication, and if you have food on your stomach, you may not be getting the full benefit of that med. As far as laying down, you usually hear of that where the possibility of reflux could cause damage to the esophagus, so there must be some ingredient in that med that could do this.
    Hope this helps!
    OOOHHHH i think that happened to me once!! I took my medicine without water (smart one Miranda) and then i went to bed. My esophagus hurt SOOOOOOOO incredibly bad the next day. I could barely swollow without having everything hurt!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda_Rae View Post
    OOOHHHH i think that happened to me once!! I took my medicine without water (smart one Miranda) and then i went to bed. My esophagus hurt SOOOOOOOO incredibly bad the next day. I could barely swollow without having everything hurt!
    Shame on you- you should always take meds with plenty of water, unless otherwise instructed. This is especially true with anything acidic - like aspirin - unless of course you want a nice case of ulcers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Shame on you- you should always take meds with plenty of water, unless otherwise instructed. This is especially true with anything acidic - like aspirin - unless of course you want a nice case of ulcers.
    I know shame on me!!! I've had ulcers before (not from medicine tho, from stress) and they SUCK. I learned my lesson I guess.