Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Ideas!!

Wedding Ideas!!

So i havent been around for awhile, I'd say a very long time! But anyway I am getting married in Febuary, Febuary 20th to be exact and I was wondering if you folks had any fun ideas for the reception as we are not having alcohol (his family is a big of booze hounds and my family is very religious and alcohol is taboo and so it would cause alot of drama) and we arent having a dance because we both dont dance. So i dont really know what people do at receptions if they dont have either of those. So if you have any fun ideas in replace of htose that would be awesome! And favors. I have NO idea what i should do for that!!! Any ideas would be appreciated!! I am very excited and nervous for it. lol. Is that normal?!?

We didn't have any alcohol at our reception, just a light lunch and people had a nice time sitting around and gabbing. There was no dancing, because I am a klutz AND my brudder forgot the record player, but having Uncle Mac there (his other errand for the day) was far more important. We didn't have any organized activities, people just socialized.

If you are looking for nice activities for the reception, I was at one recently where the couple had prepared a slide show (all digital of course) of pictures of their life together, and pets. Also one nice thing from another wedding was the couple had a large white matte that they planned to display their wedding picture in, and all the guests signed it, with little saying and best wishes.

You can have toasts without alcohol - people just raise their glasses of ginger ale, water - whatever! - and toast.

Excited and nervous are both normal. As for favors, is there any theme or color scheme to the wedding?
    I've Been Frosted

See i have never figured out what theme meant! I mean our dresses are claret (ill add pictures of the dresses and some of my dress. I thought of the picture idea but I have no idea how to do that because i am very tech unsavy. Do they do speeches at weddings or anything like that?!?!

ooh... wedding.. yay!!.. I wish I_ could do it all over again..every day I come up with one thing i wish I had done back then.. lol..

we did dance.. but not any formal way.. just moved to the music.. lol.. practically swinging side to side hehe..

as for drinks.. we did have.. but I donīt drink so I toasted with sprite.. yeah.. I didnīt care and did it that way...

I wouldīve loved to have a chocolate fountain with donuts..yummy...

we donīt give favors to people attending.. but it depends as Karen said as if you have a color or theme in mind..
    you ca do it in s sort of lounge reception.. more like a chit chat mingle event rather than dancing and drinking.. or you can have music so whoever wants to dance can do it.. but you are not obligued to do so..

I skipped the lace in leg part for two reasons.. I forgot and we didnīt wanted to do it anyway.. so.. being your wedding you can skip the dancing part if you want.. itīs YOUR wedding afterall
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    I wouldīve loved to have a chocolate fountain with donuts..yummy...

we donīt give favors to people attending.. but it depends as Karen said as if you have a color or theme in mind..
    you ca do it in s sort of lounge reception.. more like a chit chat mingle event rather than dancing and drinking.. or you can have music so whoever wants to dance can do it.. but you are not obligued to do so..

I skipped the lace in leg part for two reasons.. I forgot and we didnīt wanted to do it anyway.. so.. being your wedding you can skip the dancing part if you want.. itīs YOUR wedding afterall

Hahaha the chocolate fountain with donuts made me laugh. It wouldn't thrill me cuz i dont like chocolate or donuts but it would thrill my fiancee. I have NEVER EVER met someone who loves food as much as him. haha

Everyone I have ever talked to has said that you have to have favors so im really confused.

Whats the lace in leg part?

My sister and brother in law sort of had a "castle" theme. We tented a big, bland civic center room with gossamer and they had a castle cake and there were shields on the walls of each of the families' crests. The party favors with those gold chocolate coins in velvet draw string bags I think. Another friend was married on a beach at a light house in South Carolina. Her favors were cookie cutters in the shape of a shell, a lighthouse and a starfish. They were tied on to card stock that was printed with their names and wedding date. It also said, "Bride and groom's name were cut out for each other." Perhaps you could modify the cookie cutters to something more appropriate for your situation. There are tons of them and you can buy them in bulk on Ebay.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

So it's okay, I should have mentioned color scheme. As for "favors," you can go with candy cinnamon hearts ties in a little white net square, then gathered and tied with a dark red ribbon that matches the dresses ... if you know about how many guests you are having, you can do a bunch at a time over the course of January, it's tedious, but not too bad. If you don't like the cinnamon hearts, you can do red and white M&ms, same idea. Other people do Jordan Almonds, it's traditional, or you can use anything you want, really.

If you want people to have a lasting momento, you can get little metal beads to tie to the end of the ribbon - wedding bells, or hearts, or anything meaningfl to both of you, and people can keep the ribbon and weight as a bookmark.

Are any of your bridesmaids or ushers tech-savvy people? You could ask them to put together a slide show - get the moms involved, and it could be a fun project. Then you can just rent a little projector for the afternoon, any camera-shop type place should have one available for such things that you can book ahead.

People often make little speeches as "toasts" - it's traditional for the Best Man to make a toast, then others are invited to make any they want.

How many guests are you having? Do you have a place picked for the wedding and reception?
    I've Been Frosted

If you do a slide show, you could put the pictures on CDs that you could give as party favors.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Heres what we have so far:

My mom is my maid of honor and my friend Jessie is my bridesmaid. My fiancees brother is the best man and my brother is the other best man.

My fiancee is pretty tech savy, i just dont know what i want for pictures yet and i get VERY VERY overwhelmed with all that there is to do with a wedding. there is so many things! We are getting married in a church by Brainerd and we are estimating about 150 people, considering most of my relatives are in ND. I really liked your idea of the bookmark thing Karen. That is very unique (well im sure its been used by other people but who cares right ). I am really liking all these ideas guys! thanks! I was thinking maybe we should start a thread showing off peoples wedding pictures! haha. Sorry im realy in the mood of weddings lately!

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    If you do a slide show, you could put the pictures on CDs that you could give as party favors.
    OHHHHHH!!!!! I never thought of that!!! That is VERY cool! I'll have to mention it to Michael

the leg lace.. itīs the elastic band the groom takes from the bride.. under the dress and tosses it.. supposedly the guy who gets it is supposedly next to marry.. just as the brides flowers and girls int he party..

in my country we donīt do favors.. unless itīs a kid party.. then itīs candy..

at weddings.. people usually take the center pieces/ flowers with vase home..

you can decor tables with beads.. like little stones used to decor

Karens idea of the hearts/m&mīs in lil pouches sounds great
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Oh ya that leg thing! Ya we arent doing that either. I thought it was a little disturbing and weird. Cuz apparently the men bet on it and stuff like that, and it would make me feel all uncomfortable. hehe My mom did that, but she had her FATHER put it on her, and my dad take it off. I thought that was totally weird. I dont want my dad anywhere NEAR that area of me. lol. Its very interesting how different each wedding is. I find it very romantic. Ahhh I love weddings and such!

So it means.. that since I caught the bouquet at my boyfriend's cousin's wedding last May and that my boyfriend caught the garter, so that'd mean we're next to marry eventually?

sorry, had to mention in this thread since it's about weddings & receptions!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    So it means.. that since I caught the bouquet at my boyfriend's cousin's wedding last May and that my boyfriend caught the garter, so that'd mean we're next to marry eventually?

sorry, had to mention in this thread since it's about weddings & receptions!
    Yep thats what it means! Although i think its just tradition to think that. I've seen some girls totally fight over the bouquet, which was weird.