Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow I am having total hip replacement surgery

Welcome home! You'll be sleeping a lot, I think - and I hope your fur nurses are doing things right and 'sleeping on the job'!

Wishing you speedy healing!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I hope you recover quickly. I bet your cats are glad to have you back!

It's great to read all went well and you are back home. Sounds as if Lucy has taken on the role of head nurse, little sweetheart.

Sending a prayer that your recovery is swift, also hope that it will be as pain free as possible ... just keep taking those pills to make sure.

I'm glad the surgery is over and you are home. Take care.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post

I had tried to decrease the pain med amount and wow,
    it came back to bite me in the butt!
    Some patients are *slow learners*!

Early in my hospial stay, I was awakened by the MidNight Nurse ...

"Tyme for your meds."

WHAT is it?

"It's to help you sleep."

Don't want it - I WAS asleep till you woke me up!

She left ... and I lay AWAKE the rest of the night!

Memo: Take whatever you're offered or allowed to!

I had tried to decrease the pain med amount and wow,
    it came back to bite me in the butt!
    Some patients are *slow learners*!

Early in my hospial stay, I was awakened by the MidNight Nurse ...

"Tyme for your meds."

WHAT is it?

"It's to help you sleep."

Don't want it - I WAS asleep till you woke me up!

She left ... and I lay AWAKE the rest of the night!

Memo: Take whatever you're offered or allowed to!

Welcome home! I'm glad that all went well. It sounds like Lucy has gone from camper to head nurse. Continued wishes for a steady and complete recovery! Keep checking in so we can monitor your progress from afar.

SAS, how are you doing? I hope things are going ok for you. Do you
    have someone to ckeck in with you,or help you with meals,etc.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Everything is fine, thank you!

Each day is easier. I have had Visiting Nurses and PT people here and they will not need to come back for a week, since I am in such good repair right now. Neighbors are getting my mail and friends are stopping by, so much so, that I am dying for a day to myself.

I am putting my full weight on the hip while walking with the walker. I am still stiff and will be for some time but not in pain, as long as I take the pills. I am trying to stretch out the amount of time between medications ... rather than reduce the amount. Everyone has recommended I do it that way.....

Meals are easy and since I knew I was having the surgery, it has been easy for me to eat each day. I have a freezer filled with emergency dinners etc. so I will be set for sometime.

I called my employer to let them know that I survived and would be checking in each week.

So don't worry about me from this point forward. Time is what is going to allow me to heal.

I have no more pain in my hip when I walk. It's wonderful.

Each day is easier. I have had Visiting Nurses and PT people here and they will not need to come back for a week, since I am in such good repair right now. Neighbors are getting my mail and friends are stopping by, so much so, that I am dying for a day to myself.

I am putting my full weight on the hip while walking with the walker. I am still stiff and will be for some time but not in pain, as long as I take the pills. I am trying to stretch out the amount of time between medications ... rather than reduce the amount. Everyone has recommended I do it that way.....

Meals are easy and since I knew I was having the surgery, it has been easy for me to eat each day. I have a freezer filled with emergency dinners etc. so I will be set for sometime.

I called my employer to let them know that I survived and would be checking in each week.

So don't worry about me from this point forward. Time is what is going to allow me to heal.

I have no more pain in my hip when I walk. It's wonderful.

Great news. Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That sounds great, I am glad you are doing so well, and have plenty of people on hand if you need them! How are the cats taking all this? Does the walker just annoy them or are they curious about it at all?
    I've Been Frosted

Fantastic! You had said they were using a less invasive surgery, and it has gone really well!

No chasing the cat toys for a while, though. Just THROW them!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for the wonderful update! You'll be polishing your skateboard before you know it! Thanks also for giving me encouragement as I wait for my day to come! I'm glad your kitty nurses are taking good care of you!

I've been Boooo'd!

Glad to read that things are going so well - it must be heaven to finally have the pain gone Successful surgery can be so amazing!!!

An even less invasive surgery is available

There is a method where the incise the front of your leg and then a couple of small cuts nearby. There are too many con's on the results for me. I suspect by the time I need to have to second one done, maybe in five years, the industry will have the anterior approach down to a science. One of the things holding them back is that the operating room has to have a specific chair or bed and the surgeon(s) need to have lots of training before doing the real thing.

Last nigh was pretty quiet. I did get to sleep on my unoperated on side for a sort time. I ended up with a huge pain in that leg's groin muscle. So, I will wait for a while before I try that again.

Today is a quiet day for me, visiting wise. I have one neighbor coming over and no nurses, thank goodness.

The cats are being silly, but then, aren't they always?

It is getting cold here, with temperatures dropping in to the 20 degree range. The main source for the heater is in the living room, so, to keep their skinny little bodies warm, Chloe and Jun-get-down, spent lots of time in that room, waiting for the blower to stop, so they can jump on the top of the heater. Miley taught them that trick. Lucy could care less about the heater and spends all of her waking hours with her MOM! All three cats have been very friendly with the nurses and visitors. I sometimes wonder if someday, one of those furry creatures would have the silliness to hop into a tote bag or computer bag and be carried off by mistake.

Time is going to fly by if for no other reason than because I have been sleeping away, so much of my days, these days.