Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Schroeder...is up for adoption again #112

I just sent a long e-mail to the cat rescue contact that I have. I detailed all of Schroeder's issues, like I did here. I also gave her a list of the suggestions that you guys gave me and asked her what they would like for me to do. I told her that his former adopter was definitely correct when she told them that he needed to be in a one cat household. I offered to be a foster for him until they could find a home. The problem with that is that I over an hour away from Nashville. It would be very hard for potential adopters to meet him due to the distance for them or for me. I'll post again when I hear back from her. Thank you for all the advice. I know I'm doing the right thing for Schroeder, but it still hurts terribly. I thought for sure we were a perfect match.

ETA: He just had the hiccups sitting here next to me. I'd never seen a cat with hiccups before. It was cute. They didn't last very long. And I didn't have to scare him to get rid of them either!

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't working out. I can relate to having to rehome a cat due to being aggressive. I had a semi-feral cat named Cirrus for about 2 years. He and Storm never really got along but I thought that in time that things would improve. Well they only got worse. Cirrus even started attacking Sky. He only liked Sunny but may have turned on him eventually too.

I learned from a foster that all of his siblings were like this. As they matured they all became much more aggressive. Luckily I was able to return him to the rescue group and they eventually found him a wonderful home. He isn't an only cat but he has a big house and a cat run outside to run in. The lady that adopted him even told me that she feels that he should be an only cat but with more space he's been doing well. I'm assuming that he's still doing well. I need to contact her again to make sure. Good luck.

Moesha, how are things today? Prayers and a candle.
    http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=9512081
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I haven't heard anything from the rescue group. Schroeder is getting more used to being around me. He sat right next to me last night while I watched TV. He is definitely quirky!

I have kept him and Aroara completely separated. Right now he is in the bedroom and Aroara is next to me on the couch. She even jumped up and slept in my lap a little while ago. She has never been a snuggle kitty, but she is right here next to me sleeping.

I see that the rescue group is going to be set up at a craft fair this weekend at a school in Nashville. They will have homemade cat beds and some other items for sale. They said they may even have a feline or two. I wish that Schroeder could be there and perhaps find a home without having to be in a cage again. I keep checking my e-mail to see if I have received a response and feeling a bit relieved when none has come.

Also, I don't think I mentioned this before, but my sister's cat, Manx, is back home after being gone for 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Moesha, how are things today? Prayers and a candle.
    Continued prayers and another candle.
    http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=9528593

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Moesha, how are Schroeder and Aroara? Thinking of you --
    elyse

Thank you very much for the candles and the concern, Elyse. I really appreciate it.

I just logged back on to update this thread and saw your latest question. Thank you so much!

I e-mailed the cat rescue organization last Wednesday. I guess the woman that I've been contacting doesn't always have access to e-mail. She e-mailed me on Saturday afternoon and asked that I call her rather than e-mail. I phoned her around 6:30 and left a voice mail message. I didn't hear anything from her until tonight. I received an e-mail stating that she hadn't heard back from me and thought that if it wasn't working out with Schroeder it would be better to get him back to them sooner rather than later.

I've kept Schroeder away from all the other cats. He's doing well in adjusting to us and being here. He plays, he follows me around, he purrs. Last night I put him back in the carrier and let Aroara be in the same room. No real reaction from him. He didn't freak out like he did last time. I sat next to the carrier and spoke soothing words and gave him treats as he was staying calm. I lured Aroara closer by tossing treats in increments toward us. She wouldn't come all the way. And she was growling and hissing as she came closer. Finally she just walked away. I then took Schroeder back to his room and let him out.

After getting the e-mail from the cat rescue, I thought I had better see what he would do being in the same room as Aroara, because if he is going to stay here, he HAS to be able to tolerate other cats. I don't need him to be friendly, but tolerate. Within 5 seconds of seeing her, he bolted after her. He had her pinned down in the kitchen, large clumps of gray fur were being pulled out. She even peed on herself. I got them apart and he went under the table. Before I could pick her up, she was walking past the table and he went after her again. He gives NO WARNING. Not a hiss, not a growl, nothing. He just attacks very aggressively. I was able to pick her up before he could harm her again. My mother was able to get him shut back in his room. I haven't been in there with him yet. His fur was standing straight up all over his body.

Aroara just sat with me, which in itself is very unusual, for as long as I would hold her. She made noise, (not a meow, not a growl, not really a cry. I don't know how to explain it exactly.) the entire time I held her. Her back end was soaked. We both stunk. I finally let her go in another room where she went to the back of the closet. I went in to check on her a while later and brought her back out. Again she started with the same noise. I've felt all over her backside and can't find any puncture wounds. I will have to watch her for the next couple of days. Of course she'll probably get an infected wound Saturday afternoon after the vet's office is closed for the weekend!

Anyway, I sent another e-mail to the rescue lady and will try calling again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that I'll be taking Schroeder to them in the next day or so. He will be much better off if he can find a home with no other cats.

I don't think I'll try another new one. I may just bring some of the ones that are already here inside the house more often. They know Aroara and she knows them. And I know everyone's personality and routine already that way. I've been having to get up around 3 AM and come to the family room to sleep on the couch with Aroara for the last several days. That couch really hurts my back. I can not keep this whole routine up. Some of you may feel like I've made the wrong decision either bringing Schroeder here or taking him back. But I know that I have done everything I possibly can short of medicating him to make this work. It is really the best for everyone, except for maybe my heart, to have him go to his own home where he doesn't have to share his human(s) with any other felines.

Again, thank you to each of you that offered kindly advice and support. This has definitely been one of my worst 6 weeks in a very long time.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I think that you're doing the right thing and I support you 100%. Aroara was there first and she can't live with another cat that's going to attack her or harm her in any way.

I agree that he needs to be in a home without any other cats. I hope that the rescue group will make note of this so that other potential adopters will know this so that he'll be able to find his purrfect forever home.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out but you tried your best. Please don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure that he'll eventually find the purrfect home just like my Cirrus did. Good luck.

You can't put Aroara in jeopardy like that. Poor thing, she's scared to death. You tried. That's all any one could ask, Moe, but it's no good. You can't sleep, Aroara is scared for her life, and everyone walks on tiptoe around Schroeder. It can't continue. He needs to be rehomed in a single cat home. There are people who will be able to handle him, don't worry. Just make sure at the rescue they specify single cat home; aggressive only to other cats, not humans.

Thank you for trying.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

You're doing the right thing, for all involved

I was in tears reading what happened to Aroara. Both for her and Schroeder. I also am behind you on this decision. You need to do what's best for Aroara AND Schroeder. And him being an only cat is the answer.

I will be hoping you can find him his purrfect home soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

This is a tough situation, but you will do the right thing for both cats.....HUGS for trying to make a difference....
    Nine is Fine!!

Thank you guys very much for the support. I am trying to remember that this decision is really for the best for all involved. I know Schroeder will find a home. If I didn't have any other cats, I would definitely keep him. He's a quirky guy for sure!

The foster mom is in Nashville until tomorrow evening. She lives much closer to me than that, so we're going to arrange to meet somewhere closer to make the exchange. I could take him to Nashville, but if I give him to her over here, I know he can't go into a cage in Petsmart right away. I feel bad for him having to go through more adjustments. If they had told me the whole story about his previous adopter, I wouldn't have brought him here to start with. I am definitely going to make sure that they know he has to be kept away from other cats. I've stressed this to her in every e-mail that I've sent her. I've also told her that I'd be more than willing to talk to any potential adopters and give them hints on what things he likes and tell them about his issues. I know that there has to be someone out there that just wants one big orange boy.

Thanks again for the support. I just have read posts from people that have worked in rescue and get disgusted when people return cats. I just want everyone to know that I feel like I've really tried to make this work. I would never, ever get a cat thinking of giving it back on a whim. If I thought there was ever a chance of him getting along with Aroara or any of the other cats that may come in especially during the winter, I would keep him. But he means business and Aroara was terrified. I've never seen her act like she did last night. I can't do that to her again. That would just be cruel. I almost felt like she was bait or something.

Thank you also for realizing that I was trying to make a difference. I really wanted to help an adult kitty that had lost his home due to unforeseen circumstances.

If I adopted a cat, and as much as I love them, they terrified the cats that were already here, they would have to go. Don't feel guilty, Aurora won't. If I didn't have other cats, I would adopt Schroeder in a second! But I have two others and they were here first. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Don't be that hard on yourself!

You have no options left! You tried it all and now you know what is the best option for all of you.

Don't feel guilty, if it was for you you'd make it work but Schroeder aggressiveness is too much and after all Aurora is the first one in.

It just wasn't meant to happen!

Don't feel sad about it! You tried!!

Hugs x x x