Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics thread...

Gone, but not forgotten -

VANCOUVER – Martin Brodeur may have played his last game in these Olympics.

Team Canada coach Mike Babcock announced he was benching the Devils goaltender for tomorrow's game against Germany, giving the starting job to Roberto Luongo.

"We're in the winning business," Babcock said, explaining the decision. "To win at in any game at any level you need big saves. You need momentum-changing saves. We're looking for (Luongo) to do that for us."

The move comes a day after Brodeur allowed four goals on 22 shots in a 5-3 loss to the United States during the preliminary round of the Vancouver Games. The loss pushed Canada into the sudden-death qualifying game with Germany in order to advance to the quarterfinals.

Win or lose tomorrow, Brodeur is done at the Olympics barring an injury to Luongo.

"One thing about this tournament now is if you're changing goalies you're probably out of the tournament," Babcock said. "It's pretty straight forward. This tournament now is you win or go home."

Brodeur, 37, looked shaky against the Americans allowing one soft goal and struggling to communicate with his defensemen.

Brodeur skipped the Canadian's team session with the media yesterday, but Babcock said the NHL's all-time wins leader was not surprised.

"I don't think he was shocked," Babcock said. "I talked to Marty today and just let him know the way we were going. He's a pro. He's been through it a number of times. He's won a number of championships. [He] understands it's about the team, not the individual."

Luongo, 30, will be playing on his NHL home ice. In his only Olympic action, the Canucks goalie made 15 saves in Canada's 8-0 victory over Norway on Feb. 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    My toes have been curling before!
    Do tell?

LOL, How many pics did you take before you found the "perfect 10"?

I can't help it anymore....

Wins so far for Canada AND USA today. How awesome would it be to see them both in the gold medal game??

Apolo Ohno advances to the quarterfinals. Friday is going to be a big day for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Apolo Ohno advances to the quarterfinals. Friday is going to be a big day for him.
    ohhhhhhhhh,

I was ready to watch races!

I hate NBC...Buttheads!

---------------

EEEEEEEEEEEEE, bronze for the women shorttrackers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 02-25-2010 at 12:20 AM.

I went to short track yesterday.. It was such an unbelievable experience!! The energy was just crazy! The medal event in particular was very exciting.. medals for both Canada and America! Yippy!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget View Post
    I went to short track yesterday.. It was such an unbelievable experience!! The energy was just crazy! The medal event in particular was very exciting.. medals for both Canada and America! Yippy!
    How fun! Did you get to take any pictures?
    I've Been Frosted

I took a few.. I'll post them once I edit them

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget View Post
    I am beyond jealous of you, that is amazing! I can't wait to see the pictures

very cool......

----------------

I think it's time to stop allowing "pro" athletes to compete.

Their attitude really stinks.

I also think that that NBC's coverage really sucks.

Most of the events that I wanted to see were "late night offerings" and the
    X sports like snow boring, ski cross and the moguls/toss in a trick while I am here are sports that beg for short attention spans.

Here on the West Coast we got replays and beore we could see the events the standings/winners were posted all over the interwebs and scrolled on the sports channels, so I could not even watch any other sports without finding out who won.

EPIC FAIL for the coverage.

[QUOTE=RICHARD;2241165]

I think it's time to stop allowing "pro" athletes to compete.

Their attitude really stinks.

[\QUOTE]

Sometimes... Like in 2006 when Mike Modano played for Team USA in hockey. He was whining about having to make his own travel and lodging arrangements. Boo freaking hoo dude... THAT is what you are thinking about when you are playing the game with your countries name on your shirt? No wonder the team got spanked.

But then other times... Its fantastic. The hockey tourney this time around has been amazing. Slovakia beats Sweden... Canada DESTROYS Russia... The US beat Canada...

Now, my only caveat is if they are going to let NHL players play, they should play by NHL rules. Last night, the Czech Republic lost the game on a goal that would not have happened if NHL rules were in effect. A defenceman in front of his goalie for Czech had his helmet knocked off. He HAD to retrieve it before he could continue to play. Doing so left a wide open lane to shoot and Finland scored on the play. In the NHL, he loses his lid? So what. These are the best of the best. They know what they are getting in to.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I hate NBC...Buttheads!

---------------
    NBC is driving me bonkers. Their coverage seems to be assuming that my attention span is only a few minutes long. I don't want to see only a few figure skaters or a few aerial skiers, and I don't want to see only the American competitors. I want to see figure skating or aerial skiing or bobsleigh or whatever sport we're focusing on right now. Yesterday they showed women's aerial skiing - and they showed the Chinese women, an Australian woman (I though of Wom!), and the American women. That's the way I would prefer to watch it.

On CNBC they are showing almost all curling and hockey, things where they can't show just a few competitors and then go to something else.

For both the women's and men's hockey I would be really happy if the U.S. and Canada receive gold and silver. Either way would be fine. There are 4 Blackhawks between the U.S. and Canadian teams, so I think Chicago will be happy with the outcome no matter what. There's been so much interest in hockey (both the Blackhawks and IHL Chicago Wolves) ever since the Winter Classic last year; it is a lot of fun.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Just saw the pictures of the Canuckian Women's hockey team smoking and drinking on the ice waaaaayyyyyy after their win.

Am I the only one who is cringing about this and the women who brought their kids onto the ice for the medal ceremony?

I know I sound like an idiot when I complain about these things but, the Olympics are turning into a showcase of bad taste and stupidity.

----------------------

Last week there was a European speedskater that climbed into the stands to hug his relatives.

THAT was a way to celebrate!

I love my Olympics, toward the end of this year's offerings I lost interest because of the coverage, the boorish behavior of the athletes-I was watching one program talking about the Bitten Bronze Medal incident and someone said, "What did they expect when they invited snow-boarders to the Olympics?"

Speaking of the idiot that left because of the photos that were taken of him?

His town will give him a parade anyway and children will be allowed to ditch school and line the route. I guess some dope winning a bronze medal, then acting like an idiot, can be overlooked when that is the best thing that has happened to the town in a while.

I guess the time had to come when "The Day John Boy Fell into the Hay Baler"
    was supplanted by Scotty Lago Day-The guy who got his Bronze Medal Licked at the Games!

----------------

In two weeks we can look at some real athletes.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/paralym...ule---results/

There is something way more interesting and humbling about watching people who REALLY OVERCOME adversity.

Having to move into the Olympic Village because you wear fur, is not adversity.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Just saw the pictures of the Canuckian Women's hockey team smoking and drinking on the ice waaaaayyyyyy after their win.

Am I the only one who is cringing about this and the women who brought their kids onto the ice for the medal ceremony?

I know I sound like an idiot when I complain about these things but, the Olympics are turning into a showcase of bad taste and stupidity.
    Bringing their kids on the ice - did you cringe when the Red Wings won The Cup in 2002, and Steve Yzerman came out to get The Cup with his daughter by his side?

Look at it from this perspective - winning the Gold Medal at the Olympics is the pinnacle for these women. They are not going back to McMansions and lucrative NHL contracts.

Hayley Wickenheiser, age 31, is considered by many to be the best female hockey player in the world. This was her 4th Olympic medal. Where does she go now?

Oh come on now Richard, get your head out of your butt. I really disagree with you on this one. It's all over the media up here. From what I heard this morning, champagne was flowing in the dressing room after the game and after the arena emptied out they skated back on to the ice for photos and apparently lit a cigar. Now given the fact that one of the players is only 18 and the legal drinking age is 19, some stupid (and I use that word loosely) reporter picked up on it. Hello!!!!!!?????? You try busting your butt all the way to the gold and I'll let you smoke and drink where ever and with whomever you want. I support them all the way.

Just wait until we kick your **** in men's hockey....

OK, I'm down off my soapbox now.
    Last edited by slick; 02-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.