Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago is out.

Chicago is out.

From the NY Times -

COPENHAGEN — Chicago was stunningly eliminated in the first round of voting for the 2016 Olympics on Friday, with Rio de Janeiro and Madrid still in contention in the final round of voting by the International Olympic Committee. Tokyo was eliminated in the second round.

Mostly I am not disappointed. Olympics are expensive and disruptive for the host city (and I certainly hope to be back living there by then )

On the other hand I would love to go to an Olympics sometime. But I would prefer Winter Olympics!

I was visiting family in the area last weekend and they will be thrilled. They were terribly worried about the expense of it.

Gosh I cant decide which one I want it to be Rio de or Madrid.. I guess my vote dont count..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Mostly I am not disappointed. Olympics are expensive and disruptive for the host city (and I certainly hope to be back living there by then )

On the other hand I would love to go to an Olympics sometime. But I would prefer Winter Olympics!

I was visiting family in the area last weekend and they will be thrilled. They were terribly worried about the expense of it.
    I much prefer the Winter Games, also. And my favorite of all times was Lillehammer in 1994. I still watch clips from those games on You Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I much prefer the Winter Games, also. And my favorite of all times was Lillehammer in 1994. I still watch clips from those games on You Tube.
    With David Letterman's mom! Those were great!

I have family in Salt Lake City. One of my cousins was a volunteer on the ski slopes during the games(the Air Force ski team was his "job" after graduating the AirForce Academy...) I wish I had gone to that Olympic.

Well, Rio is the winner. I think this is the first time the summer games have been held in South America. I'm glad for them - let them deal with the expense and headaches

Well, Rio is the winner. I think this is the first time the summer games have been held in South America. I'm glad for them - let them deal with the expense and headaches
    No Olympic spirit or sour grapes?

There is nothing more thrilling, fun and amazing when it all comes together and you can party for 17 days in a row.

Was 'there', did it and had a effing blast too.

The lead in and the Games are something that changes you town forever, it's a great deal of money and hassle? But, you get to say, "I am a ---------, this is MY town" or you can sit in front of the tube and see your little corner of the world is on display for the planet.

------------

Go to any international match/sport where a Brazilian team plays. Those fans are crazy, they never shut up, sit down or stop moving.

They put any 'fanantic' to shame.

Here's a link with video clips from B. Obama's visit in Copenhagen:
    http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-25482141.html

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thank you & I will agree.. However I am happy for them..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

10. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    The lead in and the Games are something that changes you town forever, it's a great deal of money and hassle? But, you get to say, "I am a ---------, this is MY town" or you can sit in front of the tube and see your little corner of the world is on display for the planet.
    Perhaps that is how Obama felt.

I'm also a big Winter Games fan (Tonya Harding hails from here) - especially the "little" sports.

Give me curling or short-track speed skating anyday!

These are not the droids you were looking for

Quote Originally Posted by catland View Post
    I'm also a big Winter Games fan (Tonya Harding hails from here) - especially the "little" sports.

Give me curling or short-track speed skating anyday!
    DUDE,

I was watching Short Track last night on the US channel.

They next event is Nov. 5-8 .

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewA...CLID=204797555
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    No Olympic spirit or sour grapes?
    No sour grapes at all. Olympic spirit - not so much. Like many other things today, I think the Olympic spirit has been compromised. Once they allowed professional athletes to participate, it lost the luster. For me, anyway.

That's why the Miracle on Ice from 1980 was so special. Those were college kids beating Russian pros.

14. I grew up with Janet Lynn. She was an Olympic figure skater in, I think, 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I grew up with Janet Lynn. She was an Olympic figure skater in, I think, 1972.
    I remember her!! Cute blonde - I think she also had asthma.

She won the Bronze in the 1972 Olympics. Back then the 'school figures' counted for a large portion of the total score. There was a gal from Austria who was absolute perfection in the compulsories - more like a wooden toy in the free skate. But she built up such an early lead that no one could get by her.

It wasn't long after that, the skating federation changed the rules so there was less emphasis on those compulsory figures.