Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you start showing?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Not everyone has a problem with strangers touching their belly, but I didn't really appreciate it. Many times I would rub their belly in return. Got lots of shocked expressions, but I just asked "What's the difference?". I was never super nasty about it, but I think I got my point across. I usually did it with humor. I had never approached pregnant women before and touched their belly, so I still don't really get why people think it's appropriate. I did love all the attention I got, though I appreciated it more when it was just verbal.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul View Post
    I was quite thin when I became pregnant (usually the thinner you are, the earlier you show) but people didn't start to notice I was pregnant until I was about 8.5 months along (and I never did "pop," it was very gradual), and even then my friends all told me that it just looked like I had gained some belly fat -- I didn't actually look pregnant. So don't be surprised if no one notices for months. I was extremely grateful for it -- now that everyone can tell, I can't go anywhere in public without people talking to me and asking me about it (and I'm a shy person so I hate this). Or random people will come up to me in public and rub my belly. I don't mind if they ask (I think it's really sweet when men walk up to me and ask if they can put their hands on my belly), but some people just walk right up to you and rub you without even asking, it's really annoying. So be thankful!! lol. And the less you show, the less stretch marks you might get.
    Do you always get stretch marks when you have a baby???
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

With the first I looked ready to deliver at 5 mos - not good. And yes, the maternity clothes in my days helped hide the fact that we were huge. I kind of miss the looks of the old time maternity clothes, guess that really ages me doesn't it?

No one could really tell with my pregnancies unless I told them right up until the last month. I sure as heck knew! lol My weight distribution definately felt off and I thought I was perpetually waddling from about month 6 on.

Hubby says I looked wonderful though

Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post

Nope. I have none, and can tell you I gained a lot of weight. A lot. LOL.

No, I didn't get any either. I used palmers lotion religiously though. Not sure if that made a difference.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My stretch marks are on my hips, not my belly. I didn't gain that much weight, but was all baby and all straight out front, so I guess it just pulled from the hip area. I never was a bikini person, so it really didn't make much difference to me since no one was going to see them anyway!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I think getting stretch marks or not just depends on your genetics. You either get them, or you don't! I got a lot, which were not lovely, I can tell you (but fortunately are faded now). I can't say I really care all that much, because I don't go around baring my stomach anyway, and my daughter was completely worth it!

I only ever had one person touch my stomach without permission, and it kind of shocked me! But at least she was someone I knew, a grandparent of one of my students who often volunteered at the school. It may have helped that when I was really big it was winter, so I always had a big coat on that kind of hid my belly.

I really think skin type has a lot to do with if you get stretch marks. I have horrible skin that scars so easily, a little scratch can scar on me. I used coco butter when I was pregnant (it's supposed to help reduce stretch marks) but I still ended up looking like an albino zebra.

I never had anyone touch my belly, with the exception of my husband, of corse. Anyone who knows me knows I would HATE that. When I was at a store or out somewhere I always carried my purse in a way that it would act as a kind of shield.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post
    I got none with my first pregnancy, but I did with my second.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I didn't get any stretch marks, but my mother did horribly with my brother. She was only 95 pounds when she got pregnant and gained nearly 70 with my oldest brother, most of it was belly. Her waist was 62 inches around and he weighed 10 pounds and was 24.5 inches long. She always hated her stretch marks, and they are still there, although she is used to them, now, and they have faded, but are still very noticeable. I think it would bother me, regardless of whether I exposed my stomach to anyone or not. I'm not terribly vain, but I didn't want stretch marks, either. I don't think the lotions I used help 100% but I'm sure they didn't hurt.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer