Thread: Dog suddenly acting possessive of one owner

Dog suddenly acting possessive of one owner

My fiancee has had her beagle (a female) for almost 8 years now, and I've been in the picture for the last year and a half, during which time the dog has taken to me as well and trusts me and views me as her other trusted human. We all moved in together about 7 months ago and had no problems for the first few months.

Over the past month or so, the dog has been becoming strangely possessive of us -- individually. If she is snuggling with me, and my fiancee makes eye contact with the dog or tries to pet her, the dog will jump up and howl at her aggressively. Same goes for the opposite -- if she is snuggling with my fiancee and I try to pet her or enter their personal space, the dog will jump up and howl at me.

What's causing this behavior, and how do we make it stop? Like I said, individually, the dog is very loving and caring towards both of us. It's just when we are all together, she is becoming very possessive of whichever human is giving her attention first.

Hello,

This is a very simple fix for a very complex problem.

The dog is taking control, the dog is deciding who can be with who and when. You and your fiancee have worked too hard to make this dog feel comfortable. I love you both for that. Chill, take a step back, have a word with yourself and you guys will work it out.

The dog does not to be on the sofa or have cuddles for a few weeks, you guys need to establish the rules. You need to say to each other that you want this dog to be happy and then agree between yourselves what is OK and what is not.

Then you have to manage it - you agree, for example, that having the dog on the sofa causes problems. Do not let dog on sofa unless it has been behaving and it is invited. If dog gets on sofa without invitation you both get up and go to another room - dog will follow - you ignore - you talk to each other, read papers, check your email . . . whatever. When dog has lost interest in you,

you go back to the sofa, still talking to each other and repeat and repeat and repeat. You have to be together on this and you have to do it all the time!
    Good luck - if you do this you will be amazed at how quickly your dog works it out - but it won't stop the dog trying!

Not so sure

We have tried everything with our Bob. Bob loves me to death, everywhere I go - he is at my feet. He follows me everywhere. When my husband and I go to bed, he crawls up next to "me" to get his hugs and good night pets and then he goes and snuggles at the foot of the bed. All that said... he is still his Daddie's boy. Dan adopted Bob and at the time had his own business. So, he took the dogs to and from work with him each day. Bob was never separated from him for his first 1-1/2 years. Point is... I can go anywhere and sit down next to anyone - but Dan. If I sit down next to Dan, Bob growls and jumps up on the couch -wedging himself between us - pushing me away. He will even nip and bite at me. This just not me. It is everyone who might try to sit next to Dan. If the kids pretend to start "fighting" him with pretend punches (they do this to show people how Bob will react) , Bob comes flying over and starts to protect Dan, will growl and nip. If they get more aggressive towards Dan, then Bob reacts accordingly - he gets more aggressively defensive . When we are in bed, if I had a rough day, and Dan offers to give me a backrub, Bob just lifts up his head. see what's going on and plops back down. BUT if I try to give Dan a backrub, Bob jumps up and comes flying up to the head of the bed and does his usual nuzzling, growling and pushing me away from his Dad. He will the sit (partially) on his Dad - looking at me - making sure I don't try anything again - and then slowly returns to the foot of the bed - all the while eyeballing me. It is so annoying... and we really have tried lots of advice and techniques. It just seems that his Dad is uniquely "his" and he feels a need to protect him.

Quote Originally Posted by RockTheGlobe View Post
    My fiancee has had her beagle (a female) for almost 8 years now, and I've been in the picture for the last year and a half, during which time the dog has taken to me as well and trusts me and views me as her other trusted human. We all moved in together about 7 months ago and had no problems for the first few months.

Over the past month or so, the dog has been becoming strangely possessive of us -- individually. If she is snuggling with me, and my fiancee makes eye contact with the dog or tries to pet her, the dog will jump up and howl at her aggressively. Same goes for the opposite -- if she is snuggling with my fiancee and I try to pet her or enter their personal space, the dog will jump up and howl at me.

What's causing this behavior, and how do we make it stop? Like I said, individually, the dog is very loving and caring towards both of us. It's just when we are all together, she is becoming very possessive of whichever human is giving her attention first.
    Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Of course

Just jump in and comment.

As much as you love your pup now. He's trying to control the situation. I totally agree with Carrie. I think it's time to start taking the 'Nothing in life is Free' approach. Make him work for everything he wants. Don't feed him until he sits... that kind of thing. And when your fiancee is petting the dog, and he howls at you, tell her to ignore him and put him on the floor. And vice versa for you also.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*