Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing machines

Washing machines

My head is about to explode! We've been washer shopping. Sounds easy, right?

OY VEY! I have no idea what I want! I thought a washer simply dumped water on clothes, swished them around, and then drained the water. Not so anymore.

So now, I'm super confused. Do I buy a cheapo washer just to get the job done? Or do I spend twice what we wanted to get the job done faster, with less water and energy?

And don't get me started on brands! Whirlpool? Maytag? No-name?

My washer technically works. Ashley killed it before she moved out. She thought that if it could be jammed into the washer, then the load wasn't full until one final sock could be squished in. The poor machine couldn't handle the loads and the timer broke. I've been using it despite the broken timer, but its time for a new one (get it, time for a new one?)

I've got the newer Maytag front load washer and dryer. Love the dryer, absolutely HATE the washer. Everything comes out a tangled, wrinkled mess. I shake out each piece of laundry before putting it in the dryer and sometimes they come out ok, other times certain items come out looking like they've been stuffed at the back of a drawer for 10 years!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    I've got the newer Maytag front load washer and dryer. Love the dryer, absolutely HATE the washer. Everything comes out a tangled, wrinkled mess. I shake out each piece of laundry before putting it in the dryer and sometimes they come out ok, other times certain items come out looking like they've been stuffed at the back of a drawer for 10 years!
    I've often wondered about the front loades; now I know. More often than not I forget something and run downstairs to toss into the washer something that I had missed in the hamper. Can't do that w/a front loader, right?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Good to know. I thought I wanted one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I've often wondered about the front loades; now I know. More often than not I forget something and run downstairs to toss into the washer something that I had missed in the hamper. Can't do that w/a front loader, right?
    This is true, I do the same thing and I never thought about it not being possible with the front loader.

Do they make them water and energy efficient and not front loaders??
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

... to toss into the washer something that I had missed in the hamper.

Can't do that w/a front loader, right?
    Sure ya can!
    >>> Just be sure you're wearing your BOOTS! <<<

Tried that years ago in a coin-op laundry-mat ... I'd found one lost sock.
    OH MY!

Oooooopsie!
    NUTZ!
    You can NOT *open*, *toss*, and *slam* that door nearly fast enough!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have a GE washer and a Whirlpool dryer, and I can't say that I'm overly fond of either. They are both middle of the line and do a decent enough job, but just don't compare to the old ones that were replaced (both Kenmore). My old washer was 16 and my old dryer was 30 something when they were replaced. These will never see that many years. I had to have service on the dryer before it was even a year old, and right now the washer needs to be serviced because I can't get any hot water to run in it anymore to do a warm wash - so I just settle for all cold. Yes - the hot water line is turned on!

IMO - they're all about the same. I guess it just depends on how many features you want on a new one as to which brand and price you want to pay for.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

We highly do NOT recommend Maytag, we bought one thinking it was a good reliable brand and would last nearly forever - but it died in less than 5 years. It was just shoddily built, once we started taking it apart. And there are only two adult humans here, no kids, so it never even got the amount of laundry a normal machine would.

DO - I emphasize this - check online reviews before you buy anything.
    I've Been Frosted

I have maytag front loaders, you can pause and add to the load ...no problem I do it all the time.

I did have a part break after 3 years and it was 400 to fix. I have hear great things about the kenmore. I do love the handwash cycle...I think the front loaders are much gentler on your clothers since they don't have the agitators.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

We got a new Maytag on the boat several trips back. I was sitting out there when the first load was put in it and I was shocked at how noisy it was and how it could be heard over the noise of the boat. I told the guys if I'd bought that one for my house, I would call and have them come back and get it. It 'clunks" loudly the whole time it is running and we always get the higher end washers, dryers, and dishwashers because they are used so much out there. I doubt this one lasts long... We already had a problem with the hot water gizmo that signals the hot water to cut on..

I have a Kenmore (Sears) at home that is 10 years old and that will be replaced with another Kenmore when it breaks.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    We got a new Maytag on the boat several trips back. I was sitting out there when the first load was put in it and I was shocked at how noisy it was and how it could be heard over the noise of the boat. I told the guys if I'd bought that one for my house, I would call and have them come back and get it. It 'clunks" loudly the whole time it is running and we always get the higher end washers, dryers, and dishwashers because they are used so much out there. I doubt this one lasts long... We already had a problem with the hot water gizmo that signals the hot water to cut on..

I have a Kenmore (Sears) at home that is 10 years old and that will be replaced with another Kenmore when it breaks.
    Mine sounds like a jet taking off sometimes.

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post

you can pause and add to the load ...no problem, I do it all the time.

OK - now HOW do you get the door open when the water level is half way
    up in the window??

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post

OK - now HOW do you get the door open when the water level is half way
    up in the window??
    There is just not much water...thats the whole "HE" idea...low water usage...I usually do it within 5 or 10 minutes but I don't think it makes any difference...you do have to hit pause and wait a few seconds until its ready for you so the water goes to the bottom of the drum...

I have been frosted!

I've had a GE front loader washer and dryer for 8 yrs now without a problem. I can open the washer after a pause to add a forgotten item with no problem.

My clothes do not come out all twisted and tangled, it comes out the same as when I had a top loader, better in fact.

What I love most about the front load washers is that they hold so much more clothes without that gyrator taking up space.

In February of this year, I bought new washer and dryer. After reading Consumer Reports, I got the LG HE (high efficiency) front load washer, and the coordinating dryer.

Oh my GOSH these are phenomenal! I love the whole set up.

BTW, check with your electric / gas company about rebates. Also check on line, the Energy Start web site for rebates.

AND the federal government is going to be offering rebates as well, similar to what they did with the cars, to get older, less efficient washers and dryers out of use. So you may be able to use that program, it comes out in October (already have specified it is NOT retroactive, so don't buy today and plan to collect next month).

The federal money will be in addition to any other rebates available at the time.

It will cover most appliances: washers and dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, furnaces, boilers, water heaters, etc.

We have an off brand top load washer in our apartment and every setting comes out in a tangled mess. I do a lot more ironing now than I did when I lived at home with my parents who have a front load washer and dryer.

So I guess it just depends...
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June