Thread: Need help

Need help

My neighbor who feeds the stray cats around here has a old dog, he is 12 years old and hardly able to get around anymore. I saw him walking the older dog today and went out to see him and noticed the dog looking like he is having trouble holding his balance. He actually reminded me of how my CH kitty stands sometimes (front paws out to the side of his body, spread apart) and his head seemed to be a bit wobbly. Any idea what could be wrong with his dog?

I doubt many of you know me since I hang out on the cat forums so "HI DOGGIE people!"

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

If the dog is a larger breed, like a lab, 12 years is quite old. A smaller breed, not so much.

The owner should have the vet check out the dog. Do you have any feeling of whether the owner does this, or would be willing to?

It "could" be age, arthritis, combination of those, no real way to tell.

I have told him before that he needs to take the dog to the vet. I don't know if he has the money or not to do that. Would a dog with arthritis have that stance and wobble it's head from one side to the other... it seemed odd to me, I am thinking maybe a stroke?

It could be any number of things, including a bad ear infection affecting his balance, stroke, arthritis, some combination of these ...
    I've Been Frosted

I talked to him again today and he has taken the dog to a vet and was told the dog is just old.. and gave him some kind of jel to feed him every day. He said the dog is getting around better but just bearly.. I've seen many old dogs and never seen one stand like that or wobble it's head around like this one does...

My heart is breaking for this poor dog now. He can hardly move anymore but Jerry thinks getting him to move will make him better so he drags the poor dog around. I suggested one day that he might start to consider the quality of life verses quantity and he got extremely upset with me for saying that. Said he would never put one to sleep, no matter what, even if it meant he had to pick the dog up and carry it around. He has since quit walking the dog by my house after I said that. I looked out the window awhile ago and saw him dragging the dog up the stairs to get him inside.. It looks like the dog is not able to walk anymore. I just pray the Lord will go on and take the poor dog and end his suffering..It is heartbreaking to watch.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    That poor dog. It would really upset me too if I had to see something like this happening.

Unfortunately, the owner obviously feels that he is helping the dog by making it get up and move around. Sounds like he just doesn't want to face the reality of how bad off his dog really is. It's a shame for the dog that someone couldn't intervene in it's behalf, but if the guy isn't physically abusing the dog, then I don't suppose that there is anything that can be done.

That's sad!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Barring something horrible like a tumor, cancer or ear infection. I think it sounds like Peripheral Vestibular Syndrome. It sometimes happens to older dogs and it strikes out of the blue. The symptoms can be mild to severe. The most common symptom is a tilted head and loss of balance and circling. Some dogs may even vomit or refuse to eat. They also may have a side-to-side or up and down eye motion. It's upsetting to watch but most dogs recover without any treatment. The recovery takes a few weeks but sometimes it can take a few months. Sometimes dogs are left with a permanent head tilt.