View Poll Results: What would you rather have?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cat

1 25.00%
  • Dog

1 25.00%
  • Both

2 50.00%

Thread: Degu Care

Degu Care

I would like to get a pair of degus. Info on websites varies on each one. How do you care for them? If anybody with experience knows how can you give me some information on the care of them. I don't want to get them unless I know about them
    fyi

a degu is a rodent

Thank You
    hammiegirl
    Last edited by hammiegirl; 09-14-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Degus are awesome! I loved having mine, and with time they can become quite personable little pets. Mine would always come to the door of the cage to greet me and "talk" to me. They can get noisy though and sound a bit like guinea pigs. I've always found that keeping a few females together was best. They breed easily and the males never give the females a break. They can however become diabetic, and it is a must that they never be given sweet treats, not even a raisen! They require a fairly large enclosure and a running wheel. They also enjoy dust baths like chinchillas. =]

Here are a couple of pictures of Peanut. This was before he became diabetic, and lost his sight.

1st pic is of him as a young adult, the 2nd as a baby. He about 2 months old in the second picture. =]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beforehewentblind.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	43901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eating.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	43902  
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Our neighbors had two females - awhile back. Cute little things. I would "babysit" when the neighbors were out of town.

One time I had to go out and buy a metal protector for the water bottle. They got bored, with their family away, and kept chewing holes in the plastic bottles.

One year, just before Christmas, the neighbors were heading to Florida. One of the critters had died, and we insisted they bring the other one over here - so she wouldn't get lonely. It was fun having her.

We put her cage on the bookcase, in the dining room. That way she could see what was going on. The cats would get on the table and stare at her, and she would stare back. They all seemed to enjoy the interaction.

She ended up dying a few months later. Their life expectancy is 5-8 years - I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Their life expectancy is 5-8 years - I think.
    ***If they get the proper diet, which most don't. My little peanut had everything right, until I went on vacation and the neighbor, avoiding my strict instructions, gave him raisens, yogies, and fruit. That's all it took to send him to diabetic land. 3 months later his sight was gone. He still enjoyed life, but didn't live as long. I loved having my three together. They would play with eachother all the time. They are a blast to watch.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I personally love degus! They are one of my favorite rodents! they love to hang out on your sholder!
    they need a fairly large cage, alot liek what a chinchilla would need. with lots of levels to climb. And they do tend to get respitory infections with the wrong types of bedding, so id reccomend carefresh or aspen bedding.
    They love to hopp and jump so they need alot of time spent outside their cage for excersize. They do well in pairs of two or more.
    keep us updated!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I decided not to get Degus. They need a very large cage and I already have 3 hamster cages, a fish tank and two betta fish tanks in my room. My mom says that I'll have no room for me soon. Thank You for the info. I might get a degu somecay

Also, one thing I forgot to mention...if you do ever plan on getting a degu or two, you need to be extremely careful with their tail, as they can drop their tail just like a gerbil. Degloving injuries are extremely common, so I don't recommend they go to a home with young children, which is why I currently do not own any.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major