Thread: Different kinds of anesthesia?

Different kinds of anesthesia?

I'm going to take Fister for his annual check-up - probably next week. He may have to have his teeth cleaned, but first he is just going to have the blood panel done, the usual three... Alt, Urea and Glucose. I asked if there was any others he ought to have done. The assistent (a new one) mentioned a test called RN4 (TN4 perhaps), or something sounding like that. I don't know what it is.

Well, my question really is about anesthesia. The vet said last year that there are three kinds. I don't remember the names of any of them, but I will ask again and write it down.

Do you know what kind of anesthesia your cat has tried? I think one of them is better for older cats. The vet should know, of course, but I'd like what your input is. Fister is 13 years old.

Thanks!

Here's a video of him from last week - not that good, but it's what I have.

And this is Fister's vet - a very nice guy.

Last edited by Randi; 09-08-2009 at 03:03 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thats a wonderful Vets Office , and quite a dedicated Healer as well!
    I know My Vets has special anathesias for the Older Found Cats , but I
    am not sure what they are called!!!

Thats quite a great selection of food, treats and toys too for Fister to enjoy!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Randi I am embarrassed to say that I have never asked about the type of anesthesia when any of my pets has gone under. Honestly I have never given it a thought. Thankfully there have been no problems.

I just wanted to say what a treat it was to see such a nice video of Fister. He always reminds me of my Trevor although Trevor never had the luxury to take a stroll outside, being an indoor kitty. I hope he has a very uneventful visit at the vet's. Maybe he won't need a dental.

When we lived in Chicago we went to a cat only clinic. They did a type of anesthesia where they used a large fish tank and filled it with the gas. They said it was less affecting for the cat and they could more quickly come out of it.

Haven't seen that here though.

I have also seen the hood over the head with a hose (looks for all the world like the cat passed out at a party with a lamp shade on...) That is what my sister-in-law used in her clinic.

And the old standby intravenous...

I have not the slightest idea how these things are called- but with Filou who is very fragile, our vet used a very light anesthesia to make sure Filou could take it easy. With this he usually wakes up very shortly after the cleaning.
    Good luck for Fister- I know he will do great.

I don't know anything about different types of anesthesia, but do wish I could have some for MY dental visit later this month.

I think that one test is for titres....not positive, but, I am always curious about the blood work. I just had Alabama undergo what we call here a full panel. I suspect an underlying condition, of course, am hoping I am wrong.

Good luck with the dental visit Fister, and always a pleasure to see you!

My cats have had both Gas & IV method.. The Vets usally like gas due to the baby comes out of it pretty fast.. However they will scream for the first 5-10 min coming out of it due to it hurts their heads.. Now the IV is good as the cat will stay drowsy longer if needed.. Yes it takes longer for the cat to be mobile.. I would just discuss with your Vet on their feed back..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I learned very early about anesthesia and cats. When we had Nakita spayed she had severe complications from the anesthesia (Ketamine). After this close call, I try to avoid it.

I always ask for the gas alternative - usually Isoflurane. Each anesthetic has it's pros and cons so do your research and talk to the vet about which one is right for your cat.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I am sorry i cannot help you with names, but can tell you when Ash went for his dental 16mths ago at 14 yrs old and his bloods showed he was in early renal failure, they used a special type, a human one,i was told,that is really all the information i was given, but i think it is light compared to others,I am sure Fister will be just fine and come through it with flying colours, but i know how one worries about our furbabies, will be keeping all paws and fingers crossed here for Fister.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm not positive on the injectable sedation drug but I'm thinking where I work, the vets use either DexDormitor, Torbitrol or Ketamine or even a combination of those. I'll have to ask sometime.

I know for a fact that the gas anethetic is IsoFlurane though.

As for being 3 kinds of anesthetic I'm thinking your vet may be referring to the method of giving it; IM (intramuscular), SubQ (subcutaneous), or Inhalation, could possibly be 4 if you count IV method. Not sure exactly what your vet is referring to.

Was the additional test a T4 by any chance? If so that would be a thryroid test, but it's not new though, and overactive thyroid is common in older cats. Or the EDT4 which is also thyroid.

The only newest test I can think of would be the Feline Triple Snap Test that Idexx offers that does FELV/FIV/Heartworm. Or possibly the Istat EC4 tests which are like electrolytes.

Death or complications from anesthetic is very low when monitored properly and pre-anesthetic testing is done. Either way I'm sure your vet does proper monitoring and regardless of which anesthetic he uses, if it's in his best judgement and experience to use that one, I'm sure your kitty will be fine.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Here's an article on anesthesia for cats:

http://cats.about.com/cs/anesthesia/a/understanding.htm

When Ash had his dental they gave him intravenous fluids before hand he also had the gas Isoflurane and another anaesthetic but it was not mentioned what type.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️