Thread: Cat not adoptable due to kennel frustration

Cat not adoptable due to kennel frustration

I volunteer at city shelter and am fostering a young male cat named Carson. The reason for the foster is he was not showing well in the adoption kennels at the shelter. He hisses and bats away those seeking to engage him when he is in the kennel. Shelter personnel thought some time away from that environment would help these issues. It hasn't. He's been to off site adoption events and back to the shelter but behavior hasn't improved. He is a totally different cat once at home - playful, loves to wrestle with my cats, snuggles on couch/bed, stalks - typical cat behavior. Problem is, his hissing and snapping behavior in kennel makes people avoid him - no matter how much you tell them he's wonderful once in a home environment. Time is running out, I think the shelter may decide to put him down. Any cat whisperers out there with suggestions on how get Carson to showcase better?

Does he have to go in a kennel? Could potential adopters come to someones home to see him? I know that's not very safe, but that may be the only way.

I hope something can be done for Carson.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thats a shame as Older Ctas are so hard to get homes for, and to have a Cat hissing and spitting dies nothing to help thier cause.
    A foster home sounds like the best solution where they can see Carson at his best.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Does he have to go in a kennel? Could potential adopters come to someones home to see him? I know that's not very safe, but that may be the only way.

I hope something can be done for Carson.
    Poor Carson. I think Taz Zoee just might have something. If potential adopters could see him in a setting where he behaves as the sweet, playful little guy he really is someone just might fall in love with him.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I know the exact type of cat you speak of. It is very difficult for them to attract the attention they need in order to be adopted.

The best suggestion is to keep him in foster care and allow adopters to meet him at the home.

If this organization does not provide such a service, getting a DIFFERENT rescue group to take him would be a fantastic idea.

Now let me ask you this, would he tolerate a harness and leash? allowing him to go to an adoption event without being in a cage?

Also, would you be willing to consult a vet on the possibility of giving him medication that might calm him down in stressful situations? (this may or may not be enough, for him, but it seems worth an ask)

Best of luck to you and to him.

I also know of the kind of kitty you speak. Jordie, an orange boy, just won't be adopted because he has peeing issues. They are now trying Prozac on him. The rescue is keeping their fingers crossed that it works. Jordie is a sweet boy that needs to be away from the TONS of other cat smells in his foster home. I've tried to convince them to please switch him with another cat in a no other cat foster home. Unfortunately, the woman fostering him won't give the other cat up to the rescue and they're not pushing it. I go over there to keep Jordie company. I try (it breaks my heart to see him in this situation) to give him one on one contact, talking to him gently and petting him. I feel so sorry for him.

If the kitty you speak of sounds like Jordie, then maybe you need to find a no other pets foster home for him and allow prospective adopters to see him in his own environment.

I wish you luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Im going to echo the others here. Is there a way potential adopters can visit him in a home environment rather then in a crate at an event?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.