Thread: I'm kinda sad about this =(

I'm kinda sad about this =(

My sister is leaving for college on Sunday. She picked a State school to go to and it's only about and hour and a half away but I am the only kid left in the house. That's not to say my parents aren't cool or anything but I don't know, I just feel weird without my sister being right next door. I thought I'd be happy to feel like an only child, because I USED to like it, but now I don't think I will. She's coming home every weekend because she only has classes Monday thru Thursday and she is doing fright fest(at work) with me but something tells me it won't be the same as having her here like she always used to be.

My mom doesn't want her to leave either.. This sorta sucks to be honest with you. Sorry for the mini-rant. I have to much pride to tell this all to her to my face.

I think she'd appreciate it (or if not now, she will) if you gave her a big hug and told her how much you'll miss her. I'm on the other side of your situation. My sister (she's 16) has basically become the only child. My twin brother still lives at home, but he works and goes to school full time.

It'll take time to adjust to the new home environment, but once you get in a routine it'll be easier. I'm not sure how close you and your sister are, but this actually might be good for your relationship.

I never really had much of a relationship with my sister growing up. She's 5 years younger than me and we never had much in common. When I left for college 3 years ago I was SO happy to be leaving my parent's house. Now, I miss my family more than ever. I talk to my Mom or Dad every day on the phone, and often call to talk to my sister. We've had the best relationship that we've ever had. I do get all nostalgic from time to time, wishing things could be like they used to.

I know you'll miss her and it'll be hard to get used to. You're right, things won't ever be the same again. But it doesn't mean that you shouldn't make the most of it.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

You will get used to it. Don't worry. It's normal to feel that way. My two brothers felt that way when I left for Kent State my 3rd year of college. Now, I've graduated from Ohio State, and I am living back at home, and this time, it is my turn to be the only one living with my parents. My brothers will both be gone at Ohio State.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Oh my dear, you will LOVE it! I am in a similar situation. My daughter will go off to college on Sunday for her second year. My son is grown and out of the house and I am no longer married so I will be completely ALONE. Of course, I have my kitties and Casey.

Just remember your sister is only a phone call, email or IM away. Isn't it amazing how much you appreciate your family when you realize they will not be around.

You will do fine.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    You really should tell her how you feel. We only go around once. Don't wait till it's too late, and then regret the things you didn't say.

Just look at what you say in your siggy..............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I so aggree..
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    You really should tell her how you feel. We only go around once. Don't wait till it's too late, and then regret the things you didn't say.

Just look at what you say in your siggy..............

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Alyssa, I still have trouble saying things like that to my sister and brother. I know it's hard. I hope you can find the courage to say something to her and give her a hug if you want. It's hard for everybody when the regular home life starts to change. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Here's a suggestion that you might find helpful. If you find difficulty in actually "saying" what you feel, how about writing her a nice letter. It's probably something that she will always treasure.
    Or even one step easier - there are so many greeting cards that have very lovely messages in them - that could be an option. You can usually find them in the "inspirational" section, and there are so many different ones with many different messages. I guess they make them for folks like you and a lot of others who just can't find the right words or feel awkward speaking them.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Here's a suggestion that you might find helpful. If you find difficulty in actually "saying" what you feel, how about writing her a nice letter. It's probably something that she will always treasure.
    Or even one step easier - there are so many greeting cards that have very lovely messages in them - that could be an option. You can usually find them in the "inspirational" section, and there are so many different ones with many different messages. I guess they make them for folks like you and a lot of others who just can't find the right words or feel awkward speaking them.
    Ellie, sometimes I think you are the most clever person I know. Great suggestions!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Ellie, sometimes I think you are the most clever person I know. Great suggestions!!
    Hmmm - I don't know about that - but thanks anyway!

I have used cards like that myself on a couple of occasions - especially if the person I was sending it to was out of state. There really are some very beautiful and meaningful messages in a lot of them. I guess others can think of what to say, when the right words are at a loss for us.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Sweetie, I know change is hard, but I bet your relationship will change for the better after she moves out. Try not to IM constantly or anything, but keep in touch, and let her know you care even if she isn't responding because she's making huge adjustments to her new life!
    I've Been Frosted

You know all the focus will be on you now
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Aww, the others are right. You should let your sister know how you feel.
    You'll still see her every weekend so it's just a matter of getting used to the new routine. You are so sweet.
    I wish I could see my sister more often. She came to visit last week to see me and baby girl. The week flew by. I miss her so much. I wish we lived closer.

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    You know all the focus will be on you now
    OMG, this is exactly what my nephew is facing now that his sister has left for school. 4 eyes on the boy....