Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which book are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by david p View Post
    I'm into science fiction. I love to read anything by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm currently reading "Space Cadet" by him.
    Sci-fi books are great! I have never tried any of his books yet, must check it out. I am still reading "Troublesome Minds" by Dave Galanter. Yes, it is a Star Trek novel I began reading it at the beginning of the summer and I got to ONE boring part and just stopped reading for a few weeks. The problem with Star Trek is most of the books, episodes, and a few movies are good but there is one part in all of them where I want to shoot my brains out, then it DOES get good again.

One of my favorite authors is Karin Slaughter and I just received notice from my public library that her newest Undone is ready for me to pick up so I will be starting that one within a day or two. Have several on my nightstand with bookmarks and will finish those but ready to start something new The ones on my nightstand are Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Christless Christianity by Dr. Michael S Horton.

Quote Originally Posted by Demi Is A Digimon View Post
    I just finished reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

I'm now reading the sequel, Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There.

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorites of all times. Ranks among The Hobbit and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - all books I read as a youngster but still pick up and read again.

I'm jealous of you reading it for the first time with fresh eyes!

Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I just finished Max Lucado's new book: Fearless.

I liked it a lot.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by david p View Post
    I'm into science fiction. I love to read anything by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm currently reading "Space Cadet" by him.
    David, if you are in to sci fi you should check out Joe Haldeman. I read his book The Forever War reciently and now I'm reading the first book in the Worlds trilogy. Very dark sci fi but extremely gripping in my opnion.

Since everyone seems to read Stieg Larsson these days, I finally started with my first one yesterday. It's the first of the trilogy; I think the English title is "The girl with the dragon tattoo" (Swedish title: "Män som hatar kvinnor", German title "Verblendung"). My co-worker gave it to me; she gave up reading after 100 pages, but I find it interesting so far. Saw that there's going to be a movie soon, based on the novel.

Also, I have ordered Dan Brown's new book, "The Lost Symbol". It was delievered today, and I can't wait to read it! But of course I will first finish the Stieg Larsson book! I ordered "The Lost Symbol" in English btw, as the German translation hasn't been released yet.

Kirsten

I'm now reading "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
    I'm now reading "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters.
    Two books at once?

Kirsten

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    How do you like that one? Read it a while ago...

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    How do you like that one? Read it a while ago...

Kirsten

I'm really enjoying it.It's like reading a dream that's how I would explain it.After this I'm reading Romeo and Juliet.

I swith between wuthering heights and my sister's keeper by Jodi Picott(sp?)[the mother in this book is driving me crazy].Has anyone read it?
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

No, I haven't read that one.

But I was really fascinated by Wuthering Heights, especially by the character of Heathcliff. Both fascinated and disgusted at the same time, a very complex figure! You want so desperately find something good, something human beyond all his cruelties, and yet you have to realize that he's driven by nothing but his obsessive love that drove him mad...

BTW, just finished Stieg Larsson, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", and have now started "The Lost Symbol", Dan Brown's new book. Anyone else reading it?

Kirsten

Kirsten, do you know that Karen maintains a blog of the books she reviews? You probably do, but just in case, here is the link Blog.
    I was just looking through the new ones the other day. There look to be some really interesting books on there.

Currently reading "The Girl from Junchow" sequel to "The Russian Concubine" by Kate Furnivall - very interesting.

Also finished Steig Larsson's two books (described in earlier posts) and can hardly wait for the third due to be released in May 2010 in Canada.

I have "The Book of Negroes" on my bookshelf and have been told it is riveting. May be my Christmas read this year.

Any new suggestions? I am always looking for a good read
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I'm in the midst of a few books.

At school I'm in the middle of "A Thousand Splendid Suns" about the life of 2 Afghani women during the rise and fall of the Taliban. This is NOT a middle school book, but just a book that I brought in from home to read while I have down time at work. The author also wrote "The Kite Runner".

At home I'm reading "The Boy from Baby House 10", a book written by a boy I had at school. His name is John Lahutsky, and he was a Russian orphan, and it details his ordeal in the Russian orphanage system. It's a tear jerker for sure, and makes one wonder how any of these children survive. I'd recommend it for anyone to read.

I also have a few other young adult books going, but they are not holding my attention as much as these are. I do recommend "Under the Persimmon Tree" by Susanne Fisher Staples. She details the lives of an American woman who moved to Pakistan, and a Pakistani/Afghan refugee girl during American occupation. Very very good. She also wrote "Haveli" and "Shabanu", both about a girl named Shabanu, and her life over in the middle east (I'm blanking on the country at the moment).