Thread: A Cat Question?

A Cat Question?

I have a cat related question for you guys to answer. All of my cats are young 1 to 2 yrs old. None of my cats would lay on my lap and I cannot hold them for very long, only when I am standing up. Don't get me wrong, they are all friendly, they like lots of petting. My Joey he friendly towards me and he would follow me all over like a dog. Sabrina was foster care as a kitten, it is very strange for her not too lay on my lap. She was well socialize so I thought she would be more of a lap kittie. I was figured she wasn't treated well in her foster care and they had too many cats to look after. At what age would they be more loving and settle down. Do you think they will become lap kitties when they get older? My Toby doesn't sleep much at night, he start is meowing around 5:00 am and sometimes he start at 5:30 am, is there any reason for his meowing. Do you think they would sleep at night when they get older? I have three cats, i guess thats why they won't sleep. Please reply. Thanks!!

Well, I'm so sure that cats like the night better than the day, but I cannot speak for all cats. They like to prowl in the night, and sleep whenever they want. I wouldn't worry, because as they get older they will get more tired and go to sleep more. My cat, Sally sleeps usually during the day, and will not sleep if
    I am near her and not intending to sleep. She is fine when I am in my bed, and she comes in and sleeps next to me, but if she is sleeping when I get home from school and go on the computer, and she is sleeping on the chair, if I go to sit down, she will run away. And by the way, sorry, but maybe you'd get more replies on Cat General or something .
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

It took my sisters cat a good year to settle down & allow us to pick her up & pet her on our laps. The cat use to chase us around the house trying to attack our feet... heheh... luckly she grew out of that. Feeding the cat treats helped us bond with her better & we were able to hold her.

But personaly, I find a majorty of cats to be very unsoicable animals, they like to be patted, but the second u try to pick them up they tear u to shreds, thats why I'm a dog lover, they don't claw u 24/7 hehehe
    Its just a pain in the butt when my dog want to be a lap dog, hes 80 pounds & he's long, tall & boney, his elbows r a killer...

Anywho.. I hope this helps somewhat

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 12:28 PM.

I also have 3 kitties, all very young ranging in ages from 2 1/2 months to 6 months. Scout the oldest was part feral, I think. I found him at 11 weeks old dehydrated outside my apartment. It took working with him a few weeks before he really trusted me. He would then lay in my lap and sleep. Funny thing is, now that he's older he never lays in my lap anymore and he's much more socialized now then before. He'll still come for pets and lays by me occasionally, I think part of it is the other kittens that were introduced. I guess he doesn't need me as much anymore. My other babies are total lap kitties..but only when I'm laying on the sofa. I didn't need to buy a cat bed for Gigi...she uses me for one!

As far as kitty meowing at 5:30 am...do you get up and try to stop the meowing or do you ignore it? Do you get up and give attention and/or food to kitty?...because that just reinforces the meowing. I've read that to try to get cats to sleep all night, there's a few things you can do right before bed. First play with them. Tire them out with one of those fishing pole toys or mouse on a string. Make it challenging, let them pounce, but at the end let them finally catch the mousie...that way they feel the thrill of the hunt and victory of capture at then end. When that's done feed kitty. That way when you go to bed you have a tired well fed kitty that should sleep for hours.

For making them lap kitties, that will probably come with age. But, you could try to coax them onto your lap for treats. That way they associate your lap with something yummy and plesant. There's a great website on cat behaviour that I have bookmarked on my home computer. If I can find it at work I'll post it or I'll post it when I get home. Good Luck. Sorry so long and hope that helps you a little.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Awwww! So cute. What's his/her name?

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thata's not 100% true. U can train a cat just like a dog, it just takes more work. My sister's car knows her name & if we say her name she come over, even if we don't want her to. Right now my sister is trying to teach the cat to bring the dead mice into the kitchen & not on the rug... shes getting close.

The cat also walkes on a leash just like a dog.

Thata's not 100% true. U can train a cat just like a dog, it just takes more work. My sister's car knows her name & if we say her name she come over, even if we don't want her to. Right now my sister is trying to teach the cat to bring the dead mice into the kitchen & not on the rug... shes getting close.
    True...My kittens don't know their names yet, but they do know my tone of voice. They know I can be talking sweetly to one of them and scold the other for getting on the table. I can call one of their names and all will come running because I used a ceratin tone of voice. And no matter what if they hear the can opener they will be meowing by your side thinking it's can food time.

I'm trying to harness train the kittens. I 've been putting it off...but I guess that will be this weekends project. Harness training is a must as I don't have a house, but live in an apartment complex. I can't just let the kittens outside to roam, so they must go on a harness with me. I don't expect them to walk like a dog on a leash(lord knows the ferrets don't) but I do believe they will eventually accept the harness and leash with no problem. You can train just about any animal as long as you have the patience to keep plugging away at it.