Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you fry chicken?

How do you fry chicken?

I am not a huge fan of frying chicken.

Oh, I'll eat it, but I really don't care to fry it.

I cook all the time, but I just never thought about frying it- I tossed in two HUGE pieces - whole breasts - the other day because I wanted something different.

I got the pan ready and realized that I don't know jack about making a decent piece of fried chicken.

I tried to bread it with crackers, a little flour and some spices and 'fried' it, but ended up with fried skin and crackers and a 'steamed' chicken.

I covered the pan with a cover because I didn't want to have to clean up the stove again.

------------------

I should post this in the Recipe Thread, but this is more a question re: technique more than recipes!

I just want a nice crispy chicken to eat!

P.S.
    I have a steel and no stick pans. I do have a few cast iron jobs, but they are put away!!!!! The other thing is that I only cook for myself, so deep frying is more hassle for me-just because of the amount of oil involved!

Thanks!

Boil the chicken pieces as if you are making chicken soup...give them about 20 minutes of boiling if they are thawed.

Then let the pieces cool a bit...you can then cost them with all sorts of nice stuff, and it'll be crispy on the outside and juicy and "done" on the inside.

ETA: When I buy a few pieces of chicken, I boil, cool and freeze them so they are ready to cook.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

I just want a nice crispy chicken to eat!
    Do what I do ...
    Drop in and see the Colonel ...
    he fries a pretty mean chikin at his Kentucky Fried Chikin joints!

get a bag.

put about a cup of flour in the bag, spices as you desire (I normally just use salt and pepper)

Fry it in HOT oil (a piece of bread should be browned in a few seconds) until the skin is crispy.

Put chicken in the oven until it's done, or fry until it's done, entirely your choice, works fine either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post
    Do what I do ...

Amen, brother! Extra crispy, please!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's a big hassle to fry chicken by yourself for yourself. I believe
    the Kroger Deli has the best chicken ,even better than the Colonel.

Did you ever try baked chicken? It can be very "crunchy" if it's done right.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Instead of frying, RICHARD, I've made some pretty darned good chicken that was coated in plain yogurt and rolled in crushed corn flakes, then baked. Yum!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I've had a hankering for a piece of fried chicken in the last couple of days myself. I used to watch my mother fry it every week. It was fantastic. I think all she did was to wash it, season it, coat the pieces with flour and fry in hot oil. Not deep fry, just some oil in the pan. It always tasted amazing.

I also visit the Colonel because I hate to clean the stove!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I can roast it and make soup! Barely.

Frying chicken was just one of the things that I never really thought about.

Now that you are all watching, what pieces do you like?

Oven Fried Chicken from the Bisquick Box. BEST fried chicken ever. I make this whenever I have company but you could do a small batch for yourself. The leftovers are great cold. I think you will be quite pleased.

I have the recipe memorized but I don't really measure.

You need a 13x9x2 baking pan, Bisquick, Butter, spices, chicken parts.

Preheat oven to 425.

Dump some Bisquick in a large zipper type baggie, sprinkle in seasonings, whatever you like. I like lots of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Also, a little salt. Shake the bag good to mix in the spices. Rinse the chicken pieces but do not pat them dry. Drop a couple pieces at a time into the baggie with the Bisquick mixture in it and shake around to coat the chicken. While you are doing this, put 2 tablespoons of butter into a 13x9x2 pan and put the pan in the oven to get it hot and melt the butter. This gives the chicken a jump start on browning. Put the coated chicken pieces onto the hot baking pan skin side down. Bake 35 minutes, turn chicken, bake an additional 15 minutes.

Here is a link to the actual recipe:

http://www.mycookingblog.com/post/1-...-fried-chicken

You can make this figure friendly by removing the skin from the chicken and using margarine and low fat Bisquick. (yuck)

I have never had any luck frying chicken on top of the stove in oil, plus, i get nervous boiling all of that oil.

Enjoy!

Do what I do ...

That's what I was going to say!

My dad bought a tub of Mountain High yogurt at Costco. It's much thicker than Dannon, richer flavor. I've read that you can marinate chicken in buttermilk before frying, but I'd like to try Medusa's method with yogurt and corn flake crumbs, especially with Mountain High yogurt.

Light meat for me, please.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have never actually fried chicken, either. It's The Colonel for me. Dark meat, please. Preferably thighs.

Do what I do ...
    Original recipe for me!

white meat for me, i use Ladys Humans style, mostly...i use hot peanut oil in a DEEP pan to fry, flame on high i start breast side down/bone side up, 8 to 9 minutes, more if very meaty breasts, less if boneless. using tongs(don't puncture the meat) flip the breast. watch to decide your level of browness, for me the second side is usually 5-7 minutes. after i flip it i turn the flames down to 2/3 of what i started with then drain the cooked breasts on paper towel on top of old newspapers. Richard, there are mesh covers to limit spattering while frying and metal 3 sided shields to limit the spatter behind the pan. if that doesn't work....well the top of the stove gets washed with a good grease cutting dishsoap and rinsed, then the counters get washed then the front on the cupboards.....
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

15. Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I've read that you can marinate chicken in buttermilk

Believe it or not....I have a Weight Watcher recipe for baked chicken - low fat buttermilk and then dredge in corn flakes. I made it a couple weeks ago - had some leftover buttermilk...couldn't find cornflakes so I used Special K (rice flakes) delicious!