Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2009 - 2010

Penguins and Canadiens knotted at three. If the Pens lose tomorrow, it'll be the last hockey game played at the Igloo, also known as the Mellon Arena.

I don't know about you David, but I am a nervous wreck about the game tonight! I would hate for the season to be over....but Montreal has been playing so well I don't know that I would be surprised. I do have to say, the fans in Montreal are awesome. They cheer and boo everything! I think it would be so excited to see a game there, even if I was cheering for the opposing team....

Has anyone seen the HBO special Broad Street Bullies?

It was great - brought back many memories of the early 70's. Bobby Clarke - passed over by every other team because he is diabetic; Bernie Parent and Kate The Great singing God Bless America.

I'm glad I'm old enough to have seen some of the hockey greats - Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournyer, Ken Dryden, Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita - the list could go on forever.

Now there are 2 of the Original Six in the semi's. With any luck, Boston will win that series and there will be three

What if there was no Greatness?

Marty McSorely's stick would have bent more?

The Canadiens played the first game in Mellon Arena, then known as the Civic Arena, winning 2-1 on Oct. 11, 1967.

Tonight they won the last game played in that arena.

The worst-record team in the playoffs has beaten the #1 seed, and the defending Stanley Cup champs. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    The Canadiens played the first game in Mellon Arena, then known as the Civic Arena, winning 2-1 on Oct. 11, 1967.

Tonight they won the last game played in that arena.

The worst-record team in the playoffs has beaten the #1 seed, and the defending Stanley Cup champs. How cool is that?
    That was one of the strangest games I have seen in a long time. The Habs first goal was WAY soft by Fleury. The 4th goal by the Habs, the shorty... What was Gonchar doing? He just let Moen skate right past him.

Then the Pens started to play a bit. LOL

THEN, Halak makes a crazy sick save on a gimme by Crosby. (Doc Emmerick talked about 'not being able to make a statue of Halak yet, but they can order the bronze.' LOL)

I guess to sum it up... I cannot believe the Pens were not ready for this game. How does a pro not get juiced for a game 7?

Moving forward... How will the Canadiens respond to playing a team they are actually 'supposed' to be able to beat? LOL

Good times yet ahead.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

I like Doc Emmerick as a hockey announcer. He reminds me of the RPI announcer in the late 70s/early 80s.

Congratulations, Habs! I saw all 4 goals in the 2nd. That shorthander was...what the heck?!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

R. I.P. Mellon Arena. The concensus around Pittsburgh is for the arena to be torn down and used for an additional parking area for the new arena, but there are some plans to turn it into a skating rink and retail spaces. I kinda hate to see a piece of history fade away.

It's sad to think that's the last game at Mellon (although I still call it the civic arena). I am excited for the new arena though, I hope I can make it out there for a game sometime.

I'm kinda bummed out about the game last night, but since they won last year I think it's time for someone new to win the cup anyway. Congrats to the Habs, I hope they make it all the way to the cup! I don't get to see that many games this time of year anyway, Ty just wants to be outside (not to mention the lovely 'morning' sickness that has me running for the bathroom every 15 minutes) but I am assuming that Fleury had a bad night. He can be amazing, but he does have those bad nights where he lets in softies. Maybe he will get better with maturity.

As bummed as I am that the Pens are done, I am sure glad I am not a Bruins fan right now! WOW What happened there??

Now Montreal - you have a mission. Take the Flyers OUT! Please!!

Last Stanley Cup Championship for each of the final four -

Chicago Blackhawks - 1961

Philadelphia Flyers - 1975

Montreal Canadiens - 1993

San Jose Sharks - never

It would be nice to see San Jose win the cup this year since they have never won one. Or Montreal, they look good this year. Or Chicago, because they are not Philadelphia. Just please, please, please not the Flyers. I think San Jose and Montreal in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR View Post
    It would be nice to see San Jose win the cup this year since they have never won one. Or Montreal, they look good this year. Or Chicago, because they are not Philadelphia. Just please, please, please not the Flyers. I think San Jose and Montreal in the finals.
    Jen, I SECOND the motion!!!

Indians, Canucks, Wagons and Fish?

---------

Seriously,

what did happen yesterday? I walked out at 3-0, came back at 3-3 and managed to watch the winning goal.