Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Hockey 2009 - 2010

Congrats Chicago! I also cheer for any team playing Philly so I'm thrilled that Chicago won it!

Man oh man, hearts dropped all over Chicago last night when Hartnell scored with four minutes to go in the third period. I thought Kane's goal in the overtime didn't go in - I almost turned the game off! It's been a lot of fun to watch. Philly is definitely a team to be reckoned with. Leighton is one of the highest ranked goaltenders in the NHL if not the highest, and the Pronger-Byfuglien matchup was pretty physical. Watching Duncan Keith (a.k.a. Duncan Teeth) talk to reporters without his front teeth was not pretty. Watching Toews receive the Stanley Cup was very pretty! The Cubs and the Sox also won yesterday, so all in all it was a good sports day in the Windy City
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

RIP - Bob Probert

From the Detroit Free Press -

Former Red Wing Bob Probert dead at 45

By HELENE ST. JAMES
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Former Detroit Red Wing Bob Probert has died.

He was on a boat on Lake St. Clair at about 2:30 p.m. when he began experiencing chest pains, said Windsor Regional Hospital spokeswoman Gisele Sullens.

He collapsed on the boat and his father-in-law, Dan Parkinson, administered CPR, Sullens said. Windsor EMS transported him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The news of Probert’s passing was especially sad for senior vice president Jimmy Devellano, who drafted Probert in 1983.

“It’s very sad, very, very sad,” Devellano said. “He was a pretty popular player in Detroit in the '80s, and certainly one tough guy with a lot of ability. But unfortunately we never got 100% out of him because of his off ice problems.”

Probert died Monday afternoon from unspecified causes. As first reported by CKLW-AM 800, Probert was on a boat in Lake St. Clair when he an emergency call was made. EMS and fire personnel met the boat and started CPR, but the Ontario Provincial Police has confirmed Probert died.

Probert was 45 and leaves behind four children.

In his heyday in the late '80s, Probert was known around the NHL as one of its top heavyweight fighters, and together with Joe Kocur, they were known as the “Bruise Brothers.”

What made Probert so special, though, was what else he could do: Skate, shoot, score – in ‘87-88, he had 398 penalty minutes, but was also third on the team with 62 points.

After being selected by the Wings in the third round in the same draft that netted Steve Yzerman, Probert played for Detroit from 1985-86 to ’93-94, when the team cut ties with him after numerous problems because of his drinking. Probert’s career hit a low in 1989 when he was arrested for cocaine possession while crossing the Detroit-Windsor border, resulting in his being sent to federal prison.

In July 1994, he was in a motorcycle crash in West Bloomfield, and police determined he had both alcohol and trace amounts of cocaine in his system. That led the Wings to decide against offering a new contract to one of their most popular players.

“We did everything,” Devellano said. “I don’t think there was a player I ever worked harder on, tried harder on to get his off ice life turned around.”

Okay, Chicago fans

What's going on over there - having a garage sale?

Today they get rid of Antti Niemi, the great goalie who maybe should have been MVP of the Finals.

That makes 8 players since the Cup win - Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser and Kris Versteeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

Today they get rid of Antti Niemi, the great goalie who maybe should have been MVP of the Finals.

That makes 8 players since the Cup win - Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser and Kris Versteeg.
    I saw this.... I think Niemi recieved a fair award from the arbitrator considering what he did last season.

The salary cap is a cruel master.

On the plus side for the Hawks... Turco is getting up there, but he is really motivated to play in Chicago. Now, he just has to prove he can get it done in the playoffs. Also, if they can get a good deal when they trade Huet they might be able to get a decent 2nd or 3rd line winger.

IMO, they will have a tough time defending the cup. But they sure will make a run at it. Just hope they do not have to go through Vancouver to get it again. LOL Luongo and company will be REALLY motivated to avenge.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

I have no idea. Letting Niemi go was a huge mistake. Niemi SHOULD have been the MVP. Maybe Rocky Wirtz doesn't want to repeat. No team repeats in this town except the Bulls with Jordan.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I have no idea. Letting Niemi go was a huge mistake. Niemi SHOULD have been the MVP. Maybe Rocky Wirtz doesn't want to repeat. No team repeats in this town except the Bulls with Jordan.
    Again.... The salary cap is a cruel master. Niemi recieved a 2+ million dollar raise. It does not fit. Tough choices need to be made.

Niemi is good. Real good. But he does have exploitable vulnerabilities. Watch tape of him. NHL players can easily (for NHL players) pick high corners on him. He plays REAL low and crazy deep.

Cannot argue raising the cup. Still, it will be interesting to see him play for a team that does not score the goals the Hawks do.

----

On that note... IMO, the best goalie in the world right now is Ryan Miller. Yeah, I am a Sabres fan. But I am also a life long goalie/coach. He does what he does on a team that scores less than 3 a game. 40+ wins on a >3 GFA team in the NHL.

Wow. Now only if Darcy gives him a team that WILL score.....
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

The Hawks season starts Oct. 7th and the pre-season begins a couple weeks before that. Watching them play will be the antidote to a disappointing Cubs season.

I think this will be a VERY interesting 2010-2011 season in Pittsburgh! It's their first season in the brand new Consol Energy Arena (they STILL don't know what to do with the old Mellon arena yet!) and I hope a successful one, too.