Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2009 - 2010

Yeaaaah, Patrick Kane is playing for the U.S. Hockey Team! That makes 6 Hawks who will be playing in the Olympics, 3 for Team Canada, two for Slovakia (Kopecky and Hossa) plus Kane.

The winter classic was fun to watch again this year. I hope there will be another one next year.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I wonder where they will play the Classic next year - Yankee Stadium??
    The scuttlebutt I hear is they want to do it in Canada next year. So my bet would be Toronto or Montreal.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

WJC Gold Medal Game

If you are in the US and get the NHL network... Or anywhere in Canada... LOL

There is a WHALE of a game going on. US vs. Canada for WJC Gold. 2-2 in the first intermission. I just LOVE watching these kids play their hearts out.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

USA!!!!!!

USA wins, 6-5 in overtime.

I have watched a LOT of hockey games in my time. I recall, sorta (I was 5) the US 'Miracle on Ice" in 1980 vs. the Soviet Union... This game was in the top 4 I have ever seen. Guts... Speed.... WOW.

The game winning goal was scored by a Hershey Bear player, John Carlson. Can't wait to give him a extra cheer next game we go to.

Hats off the the Canadian fans for the good sportsmanship at the arena. The games were played in Saskatoon.

WOOT!

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Puck - did you see the movie Miracle? - from back in 2004? It was a very accurate depiction of the game in 1980. We did see the original - fortunately for us, we got CBC and saw it live. And then again on tape delay from ABC.

The movie was so good we saw it twice within a 10 day period - and then innumerable times since.

Puck - did you see the movie Miracle? - from back in 2004? It was a very accurate depiction of the game in 1980. We did see the original - fortunately for us, we got CBC and saw it live. And then again on tape delay from ABC.

The movie was so good we saw it twice within a 10 day period - and then innumerable times since.

We own the movie Grace. I agree, it is a good recreation. My favorite scene is the "ice time" in Noway after the loss. Nothing like sucking buttermilk to motivate a young man.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Sad News

From the NY Times -

February 6, 2010, 1:30 am
    Son of U.S. Hockey Team’s G.M. Dies
    By MELISSA HOPPERT

The youngest son of Brian Burke, the general manager of the United States ice hockey team and of the Toronto Maple Leafs, has died in a car crash.

The Maple Leafs said the 21-year-old Brendan Burke, who publicly revealed he was gay in an ESPN.com article in November, was fatally injured in an accident Friday in Indiana.

“The family asks for privacy at this difficult time,” the team said in a statement.

Brian Burke’s United States team opens play against Switzerland on Feb. 16 in Vancouver. On Thursday, he spoke about looking forward to marching in the opening ceremony.

“This is my only way to give back for all that hockey has done for me and what all that U.S.A. Hockey did,” he said during a conference call. “Starting from when I was 13, there was always a coach to show me what to do or tell me how to get there. The rest was up to me to work hard and get there. I got as far as the American League and that’s all because of these people that cared.”

The Toronto Star reported that Brendan Burke was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee when the vehicle slid sideways into the path of a Ford truck. The police said the roads in Wayne County were treacherous because of heavy snow. Burke’s 18-year-old friend Mark Reedy was also killed.

“The National Hockey League grieves tonight for the family and friends of Brendan Burke, a young man of courage and character,” N.H.L. Commissioner Gary Bettman in a statement. “Words simply cannot express our sorrow over his loss. We send our deepest, most heartfelt condolences to Brendan’s father, Brian; his mother, Kerry; everyone in Brendan’s family and all who were inspired by his love for hockey.”

Burke, a goaltender, grew up playing hockey in the Boston area. He was a student manager for the Miami of Ohio team. He told his father he was gay during Christmas 2007, and later told Miami Coach Enrico Blasi and the rest of the team, who expressed their support.

“I had a million good reasons to love and admire Brendan,” Brian Burke told ESPN.com. “This news didn’t alter any of them.”

WHoooooooooooooooooo-

GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Kings, baby!!!!!

Hat Trick - Ovechkin!!

Here's a question that we will never know the answer to?

What impact would Brendan Burke have had in the games, had he not passed?

Will this be a distraction? Or, the 'story' that will propel the team on?

Should the team medal how much of a back story will that be?

BB's death will be a motivator for the team, no question, but how will it manifest itself?

Hat Trick - Ovechkin!!

Was that a whale of a game or what? I was thinking, going into the 3rd that a 2 goal lead was not enough.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Was that a whale of a game or what? I was thinking, going into the 3rd that a 2 goal lead was not enough.
    That was a really exciting game....not too excited about the end though, of course. I hate the Caps, but I'll admit that Ovechkin is sick. I just hope that they don't win the cup - I don't even care if it's not the Pens, just ANYONE but Washington!!

Interesting - it's obvious my Wings aren't going anywhere this year. So I'm thinking it would be nice for a team to win that's never been there before.

So we're rooting for Washington
    Yeah, they did make it to the finals back in '98, and lost 4 straight to us. But I'm looking for a team that has never won The Cup - and they fit that category.

Interesting - it's obvious my Wings aren't going anywhere this year. So I'm thinking it would be nice for a team to win that's never been there before.

So we're rooting for Washington
    Yeah, they did make it to the finals back in '98, and lost 4 straight to us. But I'm looking for a team that has never won The Cup - and they fit that category.
    NOOO Grace don't do it! Is there really no other team that has never won the cup? There HAS to be at least ONE other team!

Don't write off the Wings just yet - last year at this time the Pens were in the same position, no where near playoff contention, and look what happened. I do think it had a lot to do with the coaching change though, but you never know what can happen!

The Buffalo Sabres have never won the cup either. LOL Been to the dance twice and lost both times.

If its not going to be Buffalo I would be happy with the Caps. Not for their fans mind you but I really like a lot of players on the team. It helps that most of them played in Hershey before they got to play in the show. Plus my wife has a crush on Jose Theodore. LOL (The MEXICAN goalie.... No, not really, but its a little dig every male on her side of the family gets on her. LOL)

And yes, Ovechkin is out of thid world. That kid earns every penny he gets. Plays his heart out every game.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War