Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Torn...His family or Mine?

I'm Torn...His family or Mine?

In the big scheme of things this is a very unimportant thread, but I thought that writing this out and getting some feedback might help me. This upcoming weekend seems to be a popular one. Since I can't be multiple places at once, I'm torn on what I should do.

Background:
    -In April the boyfriend's mom asked me if I wanted to go to a combined baby and bridal shower with her. I agreed then.
    - I forgot about it and in June planned a weekend get together with some friends.
    - Then in late July was reminded of the baby/bridal shower and affirmed that I'd go and canceled the friend get together.
    - Recently I was informed my Grandpa's 80th birthday party would be this weekend as well.
    - They're not anywhere near the same parts of the state - so I can't even do both.

So now I'm sitting here contemplating on which one to go to.

Grandpa's Party:
    Grandpa's health isn't too good lately, and this will most likely be the last big birthday party that will be thrown for him. That alone makes me feel like I need to go.

I haven't seen Grandpa much this summer. I missed the family reunion this year because I was doing something with Rich's family. But every single time I do see him he puts me down and only has negative things to say about what I look like or what I'm eating.

If I did this I'd be alone all weekend and at the party on Saturday. Rich wouldn't come down to stay with me because he needs to study for his final exam. I'd get to see my parent's though, and I haven't seen them in a few weeks.

Baby/Bridal shower w/ Rich's Mom
    I'd drive up on Wednesday to bf's parent's house and get to see Rich for a couple days, go with his mom and spend Friday night and Saturday with everybody.
    I'd meet that last few people that I haven't met on that side, and get to know the others more. The people that know I'm coming were very excited that I'd be there and generally made me feel like part of the family. Jack would get to stay with Rich when I'm away (Rich was very excited at the possibility of spending a few days with "his" dog :P ).

But people probably feel like I'm favoring his family more than my own (I missed my family reunion and went to Rich's instead) just because I was given a list of dates for his family stuff way back in April. It's not my fault my family stuff is always planned on a whim with little notice. :/

I can't win. No matter what I do, somebody will not be happy. I'm leaning more towards that baby/bridal shower and sending my Grandpa a card. They're having a pool party on Sunday that I might possibly be able to make.

How do you guys balance family things like this? I'm new at all of this and can already see that things, like Thanksgiving and Christmas with immediate family, are going to become complicated.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

It's not easy, believe me.

I'd think about who the parties are for. How close are you to the person for whom the baby/bridal shower is for? How close are you to your grandpa? If this does happen to be your grandpa's last birthday and you didn't attend, how would you feel?

If you want to go to your grandpa's party, you could talk to your boyfriend's mom and explain that unfortunately your family plans everything last minute, and as much as that may drive you crazy you don't want to miss this birthday party. On the other hand, you could tell your family that you have had plans for the baby/bridal shower for months and you are unable to change. Good luck, not an easy decision!

I would go to the Grandfather's birthday party. Blood is thicker than water as they say. I think his family will understand and if they don't, that would concern me.

Are you saying your grandfather criticizes what you wear and what you eat?

If thats the case I wouldn't want to go to his party, sorry life's too short.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

As you have a prior commitment to the bridal shower, I'd say go to that, but take time out (you know how they can drag on and on) and call the party on your cell phone, and ask to speak briefly to family members. Explain you had already mad e this commitment, but next time, if you know in advance (this being a big hint to them) you can come to their event.

If you were close to your grandfather, I'd say the opposite, but it sounds like you are not terribly fond of each other anyway.

We worked out early on that Thanksgiving is with Paul's family, Christmas with mine, and the rest flowed pretty smoothly.
    I've Been Frosted

Go to Grandpas' party and see your folks.

And explain about the planning on a whim thing to the other side.

this is a tough situation.

Being in between two families is really tough... I am in the same boat as you a lot of the time. My dad always makes flippant comments about how I spend all my time with Brians family instead of with MY family. and it really irritates me. I don't spend more time one place than the other. for crying out loud I just spent 5 WEEKS up in canada with my family and one week with Brians parents and then one more week with them in december. hardly equal time.

Anyway... I would be hesitant to spend my weekend with someone who just makes me feel bad about myself. If you are feeling like you should go because of what everyone ELSE will think then I suggest you stick with your original plans. YOu will not have any fun and likely will jsut be made to feel more miserable if you aren't doing it because it's what you want to do. But if you REALLY feel like you should go I would call Rich's mom and talk to her honestly about it. Just tell her that you hate to break the plans becuase they were made first but that you really feel that this could be your last chance to see your grandfather but you still want to send a card or gift for the shower. I'm SURE she will understand. Just be honest with her about the whole situation. she might be a little bummed but I bet she will see your point of view

Good luck... this stuff is never easy

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

THis decided it for me,

"I haven't seen Grandpa much this summer. I missed the family reunion this year because I was doing something with Rich's family. But every single time I do see him he puts me down and only has negative things to say about what I look like or what I'm eating."

Sounds like a real downer for me. You could send a card or flowers instead.
    I'd vote for the baby/bridal shower.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Normally, I'd say without hesitation...go to your grandpa's birthday party. But, if he's just going to crap on you, I'd say the only thing I'd question is this... if you **don't** go to the party, will you have regrets later if this truly does end up being his last hoorah?

Personally, I'd still go to the birthday party, even if I knew he'd be crotchety...give him a hug and a card and then hang out the rest of the time with the other members of my family.

That's a tough spot, either way, and I don't envy your having to make the choice. Go with your heart, though, and just expect to rattle a few feathers whatever your decision. But, it's your choice, not anyone else's. Make it and stick with it, and don't let anyone make you feel badly!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I have been in the same boat as you. However, I would choose going to your grandfather's birthday - if it was his last hurrah, I would go anyways - despite the fact he says these things - I would think, if you didn't attend, it would definitely NOT look great on your side with the family. I know it's tough, very tough, but family comes first.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I, too, would go to your grandfather's birthday, specially when his health is failing and this could be his last birthday party.. If you don't go, and God forbits he won't have another birthday for you to celebrate, you'll regret it for life.

Your bf mother should understand. The most negative thing she could talk about you not being able to attend the baby shower is that you put your family first - and that, in my opinion, is not a negative thing at all.

Thanks ~Jessie~

Your Grandfather's 80th birthday is far more important. Any way you can make mini visits to all of them. This way no one can really be heart.

Good luck!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would go to Grandpa's party. Time is short. My dad passed away at age 82, and I would give almost anything for one more day with him. Even if your grandpa is grumpy, I'd go. I bet we are going to be grumpy when we are 80 and dealing with aches and pains of old age, too.

Like someone else, if his family doesn't understand that ... red flag.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    THis decided it for me,

"I haven't seen Grandpa much this summer. I missed the family reunion this year because I was doing something with Rich's family. But every single time I do see him he puts me down and only has negative things to say about what I look like or what I'm eating."

Sounds like a real downer for me. You could send a card or flowers instead.
    I'd vote for the baby/bridal shower.
    Somehow I missed the part about him making negative comments but I still say go to his party anyway. My father is 86 years old. He is a very negative person. He is always putting my mom down and they have been married for over 60 years. I seriously do not think he realizes what he is doing. They are from the OLD generation which, thank God, I am not! I would never stayed with my father if I were my mom. Anyway, that being said, I would go to the Grandpa's birthday party. Like someone else said, if he doesn't get to have another birthday you will probably regret it for a long time.

This is very very tough!!

I think I would go to your Grandfather's party if I were you. For obvious reasons and what others have said.

Some people are just more vocal in their opinions than others. Sometimes it's easier for people to speak out loud about what they're thinking rather than holding it in. Also, some people seem to find fault with many things, whether they need to or not. I wouldn't relish the thought of someone putting me down either but I think you might regret it if something happens and you didn't go.

I think your BF's family will understand. Best wishes to you in this. I wouldn't want to be in your position.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!