View Poll Results: Are any of your pets microchipped?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, All of my furkids are microchipped.

20 32.79%
  • Some of my furkids are microchipped.

18 29.51%
  • None of my furkids are microchipped.

23 37.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microchips?

Microchips?

There have been a few cases in recent news where animals have been reunited with their owners after years of being separated, all thanks to a microchip.

HERE is a link to an article describing what microchips are (and a few answers to common questions) in case some aren't too familiar with them.

We have yet to get any of our dogs or cats microchipped. I know for a fact that all of the local vets and the city pound do not have scanners at their facilities. I am pretty sure our exotic vet offers this service, but he is located an hour away.

Its hard to fathom any of our beloved critters getting lost, but it is even harder to think that they might never make it home. I am really looking in to getting them microchipped. I know it is not a guarantee of being reunited incase we were separated, but I think it might increase the chance.

How many PTers have had their pets microchipped?

Sugar, Lacey and Marlin are all chipped. Tasha will be when next she needs a vet visit (hasn't needed on yet).

I don't do this with the cats; I'd go broke with the annual fee!

We have 6 cats, and they are all chipped. 4 are in/out; 2 are in only.

Doesn't take any time at all to chip them; every Vet visit they check to make sure it is still there. Couple of years ago we took a stay to our local Humane Society - first thing they did was check for a chip.

A cat or dog can lose a collar, but the chip stays.

Fister has a tattoo on his ears. They do that here when a cat gets fixed and vaccinated.

I found a cat in our yard last year, he had wandered off a mile from his home, but I checked his ears, called the vet - and he knew where he belonged. So I got the no. to his his humans and they came a few hours later to get him.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Layla and Jake are both microchipped. Lacey and the cats are not. I got Layla chipped around the time Kay's Kiara went missing. That was reason enough for me. She was just puppy then. Jake came from our shelter and they chip all dogs and cats that are adopted.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

I don't do this with the cats; I'd go broke with the annual fee!
    Do you have to pay for the microchips each year??
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I have Koko my dog Chipped but my 2 cats are not.

All Vets and Shelters in this area have scanners.

Do you have to pay for the microchips each year??
    The chip is for forever and you only pay once when it's installed.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post

The chip is for forever and you only pay once when it's installed.
    That's correct, and our Vet gives us a rebate on the cost of registering - so it costs us nothing. And if I'm remembering correctly, the cost is only $15. So if you've got multiple animals - spread out the chipping

None of my pets are chipped.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Electra came to me with a Chip.none of my others are chipped. it isnt recoomended here, I actually asked the vet about it, and they strongly discouraged it lol. its because our Tattoo system is better, you dont choose the tattoo, its assigned per the vet, and its all tied into 1 centeral system, so in my city you can call any vet, any shelter or city hall, relay the tattoo and you will be instantly connected with the dogs owners and because its through the vets, any changes are automatic when you walk into a vet office, or get the yearly licence. where as with a chip you would have to physcally take the dog down to a shelter or vet, have them do a scan to see if they MIGHT be chipped, then if they are, hope the owners remebered kept up with the info. then their is the cost...a Tatto is $20..a chip here is $85..and thats at the cheap vet!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Yes, all our kitties are chipped. 4 of our 5 were already chipped when we adopted them. The various rescues in our area chip cats before adopting them out.

We lost Kuhio in 2002. If she had been chipped, her life could have been spared. Kuhio's story is here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=41856
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

None of ours are. We have 8 dogs and 5 cats. We keep the 4 small dogs in and the others stay out in the fenced area it's a really big area though and they have lots of room. We don't ever let them out although they have gotten out when we opened the gate before but they'll only wander around the yard and then come back. Our german shepherd will stay out though and come when ever you call him. He listens so well, but our other 3 do as they please.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

The dogs are chipped. Taggart came with his chip from the shelter and then I got Zoee chipped shortly after.
    Recent events have lead me to eventually (probably after vacation) get Paizly chipped as well.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Since I live in a hurrican prone area and saw what happened to the pets after Katrina, I RAN to the vet and had all mine microchipped and will always have any new one done soon as I get them.

What happened to Kuhio is a poster story why all of them should be microchipped. Amy with her CH, should she ever accidently get lost, I want them to know she is NOT SICK but has a birth defect, otherwise... I hate to think what would happen to her.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

My three are all microchipped. I don't think Sydney is.