Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, exactly what IS the rule/law?

Ok, exactly what IS the rule/law?

I learned that pedestrians walk against traffic, bicycle riders ride with traffic. Lately, though, all I see is the opposite. I've been extra vigilant because I'm afraid I'm going to hit someone!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    When I was a kid (many, many moons ago ), we always rode bikes against traffic so we could see what was coming. Not sure what the walking rules were tho, since we always rode our bikes. Frankly, I think the law now of riding with traffic is hazardous, since you obviously can't see what's coming up behind you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It may vary according to local law.

But as far as I have been taught, bicycle riders are supposed to obey all the same rules as cars - stop light, signs, etc., and go with the flow of traffic, but pedestrians are not subject to those laws, and just need to be careful. As far as I know, there's no law saying you have to walk in the direction traffic is flowing, or against it. As a pedestrian, though, you need to obey signs and stick to crosswalks when crossing a street. (Not that this happens in the Boston area, where pedestrians seem to think they own the roads!)
    I've Been Frosted

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    In San Francisco bicycle riders ride on the sidewalk and pedestrians cross on a red light directly into the path of traffic - or at least it seems that those are the new rules/laws. I don't get it - doesn't seem safe to me, but everybody does it

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Quote Originally Posted by RedHedd View Post
    In San Francisco bicycle riders ride on the sidewalk and pedestrians cross on a red light directly into the path of traffic - or at least it seems that those are the new rules/laws. I don't get it - doesn't seem safe to me, but everybody does it

Both of those habits are unsafe.IMO. Indy has marked bike lanes in the
    streets. Bikes ride with traffic. (same rules)

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Both of those habits are unsafe.IMO. Indy has marked bike lanes in the
    I KNOW they're unsafe, but pedestrians and bike riders in San Francisco flaunt the laws. I was being facetious, because it's SO prevalent and irks me to no end - they seem to have a death wish.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

There are bike trails here but people ride their bikes on the roads to get to the trails rather than put them on their cars. Whenever I see a bike coming at me rather than going w/the flow of traffic, it's frightening. They are supposed to obey the same laws as for cars. Pedestrians should always walk towards traffic so that they can see what's coming but they seem to be walking w/traffic now and that just isn't safe, especially at night. We have dark roads around here, no street lights and the pedestrians hardly ever wear reflective clothing. It scares me to death.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I learned that pedestrians walk against traffic, bicycle riders ride with traffic. Lately, though, all I see is the opposite. I've been extra vigilant because I'm afraid I'm going to hit someone!
    Mary, that's the law as I've always understood it, here anyway, and in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, where I've also lived. And just like where you live, that doesn't mean that people follow it all that much.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm wondering if, God forbid, a pedestrian or biker would get hit by a car because they were on the wrong side of the road, how responsible do you think the driver would be according to the law? I pray it never happens here but w/the kids out of school, they're walking along the roads here a lot and riding their bikes, too, of course on the wrong side of the road.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I have toured by bicycle in a couple of dozen states and without exception bicycles are treated and have to obey the laws just like a car.if there is a bike lane the bicycle is suppose to use it. This is an area that I have seen many violations. A lot of Municipal bike trails have a slow speed limit so the rider will use the street so he doesn't have to slow down. I have actually seen radar used in California on a bike path. These bike paths in most cases are also used by pedestrians. The rational behind the speed limit is to slow the traffic down so as to not scare the people out for a walk or run.
    Last edited by kokopup; 07-14-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Indy has marked bike lanes in the

Same around here.

Worse thing is cars not stopping at pedestrian crossings.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen View Post
    Same around here.

Worse thing is cars not stopping at pedestrian crossings.
    Ok, you brought up another point and I'm glad you did. What about crosswalks? We don't have them here except in strip malls or downtown in cities and I hardly if ever have the need to go there. If a car is moving (slowly, I hope) and it's already partially through a cross walk, pedestrians here think we should stop a several ton moving vehicle for them. I stop before the crosswalk but if there are no pedestrians, obviously I keep going but I have had pedestrians run to get through and I've had to slam on my brakes even though I'm driving slowly. A couple of years ago a man, holding his wife's hand, decided to walk through while I was driving. I kept going thinking that he'd realize I had to but he didn't and he stopped right in front of my car. I got out of my car and he and his wife ran inside the store so that tells me that he knew he was wrong. I see mothers doing this w/their toddlers a lot and I just wonder why they feel the necessity to take such a risk w/their childrens' precious lives. What say you?

ETA: I forgot to mention here that the reason I got out of my car is because after he stopped in front of it, he actually punched the hood of my car!
    Last edited by Medusa; 07-14-2009 at 06:54 AM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

In every state that i have driven in, And that is all in the contiguous 48, the law says cars are suppose to stop for pedestrians in cross walks. The Laws in California are so strict if you go through a pedestrian or Bike crossing you receive a very hefty fine. Medusa, although he had no right to hit your car he did have the right of way even if it was at Walmart. Stopping
    is not optional, it is the law everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    In every state that i have driven in, And that is all in the contiguous 48, the law says cars are suppose to stop for pedestrians in cross walks. The Laws in California are so strict if you go through a pedestrian or Bike crossing you receive a very hefty fine. Medusa, although he had no right to hit your car he did have the right of way even if it was at Walmart. Stopping
    is not an optional, it is the law everywhere.
    That's the part I don't get, I guess. Common sense says that when a car is halfway through the cross walk, pedestrians should wait until it goes the rest of the way through, not force the driver to stop his car because the pedestrian couldn't wait 2 or 3 seconds to walk across. Pedestrians challenge drivers and I fear that one is going to get seriously injured because of it. I know pedestrians have the right of way but it should mean that when a car is approaching and pedestrians are there, ready to cross, then the driver should wait. It's just plain foolish to walk in front of a moving vehicle.
    Blessings,
    Mary

The Main problem I see with Store cross walks is they are so wide that the walk can be clear when you enter the crosswalk and then someone shows up when you are halfway across a 50' cross area. i agree that the approaching people should wait for you since you were already in the walk before they exit the store. I will stop if someone approaches and
    they would be in front of me before i could get there. I do not stop if they approach and would be beside me if I continued. Common sense should prevail but it often does not. There are those that will rush to make you stop and then slow down just to show they are in control. These are the same people who would be a pain if they were on a public forum.