Thread: Adventures in sheep eating...

Adventures in sheep eating...

Erm I mean herding. The Canadian Agility Team put on a herding instinct evaluation on Saturday. The shelties already have their instinct certificates so I thought why not try Mony at it. I didn't expect much but I thought it would be fun to try.

Here are some pics and a video. And don't worry. The paddle used is made of plastic and is hollow. It didn't hurt him at all, it is just used to try and get his attention away from the sheep.

Hey guys it's me Ramone. My parents took me to this really cool place with really good smells.

I got to go in this big place with some tasty looking creatures. When I saw them I tried to get them.

But I was on this really long leash and it was being held by a really mean lady. She didn't want me to eat the sheep for some reason.

Come here you sheep!! I can almost taste you. Just a little bit closer...

The lady told me to lie down so I did. I thought if I did what she said she would let me have what I want.

I was wrong though. When I tried to taste those sheeps again she waved that paddle in my face. That lady is not well trained.

I see those sheeps again... I will get them this time.

Hey lady. Let go of my leash.

How am I supposed to get the sheep when there is a paddle in my face?

Ok I will try this lie down thing again.

*Thanks Ashley*

Ok she finally gave me some loose leash to work with. Now if only those sheeps would come here...

My enemies. Don't they look tasty?

All is not lost though. I may still take a few lessons with him. The evaluator said that it could take 5 - 6 more times before she can tell if he will be able to settle down or not. We shall see.

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvH0MoC5IA

*Thanks Ashley*

LOL.. eating sheep...

Oh Mon, they sure seem tasty.. but it´s funner the other way...

keep being a good boy and you´ll get a reaaaal tasty treat from mom
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Ramone, you are the handsomest, best story teller in town. We think you had lots of fun at that sheepfest didn't you? It does seem like that old paddle got in the way quite a bit though. We didn't know sheep are that color. Thanks for the big adventure, Ramone, you big hunk!! Va va va va voom!!!!!!

Love, Daisy and Delilah

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Hi, handsome Ramone! If the sheep project doesn't work out I think you should become a model! Va va va va voom indeed!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

LOL! You tell great stories, Ramone.

Hey... didn't Rotties used to be herding dogs? I thought I read that somewhere once.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM View Post
    LOL! You tell great stories, Ramone.

Hey... didn't Rotties used to be herding dogs? I thought I read that somewhere once.
    Yes they can be quite good at herding which is why I tried it with him. But I wasn't suprised to find out he has more prey drive than herding drive... lol In fact I pretty much expected it.

*Thanks Ashley*

The photos and captions are super, great job!

I really appreciated seeing the video. I have attended many sheep dog trials; I just never thought about how they start the dogs out. Really interesting. You can see a huge difference in Monty's attitude in less than 4 minutes! There is one really loud "whack" as the paddle hits his face, near the beginning, made me cringe. I'm not sue he learnt not to go for the sheep after that, but he sure did learn to watch out for that paddle!

Can't you just hear the sheep?

Brown Front: It's another NOOO hoooooo bee.
    White Front: Don't worry, Maaaa haaaaa will control him
    Brown Front: Best get extra dinner for putting up with this all daaaaa haaaaay!

And the rest of the herd in the field behind the fence, all watching was a riot! Didn"t realize they would be so curious ha haa

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    The photos and captions are super, great job!
    Agreed. Was a joy to read!

I love the title of the thread as well. Thats probably what our Bunny and Zeke would do. Eli'd probably run in the other direction. lol.

Those are some pretty cute sheep, I might add.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!