Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushy French are world's worst tourists: study

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    And you think they'll share their snail flavoured crisps with ya ???
    No way !!!!
    I draw the line at tacos de tripa, Intestine Tacos!

Really!

Blog Entries
    I call them the Poopie French. On vacation out West years ago there were French & German tourists everywhere. Maybe the money exchange was in their favor. A Frenchman was trying to put leaded gas into an unleaded gas car rental gas tank because it was cheaper. The nozzles on the hoses are different & he was getting gas all over the place. :eek Then if you met them on the sidewalk or trails they would not move out of the way or single file it. I got to the point when I met them I would stop & not move & they would have to go around me. Then two French families got into it over a motel room. They kept trying to get the cheapest discount for a room. Finally the clerk told them she didn't have any rooms for either of them. Then I was in a convenient store & had my stuff at the register & a Poopie French lady barged in right in front of me. The clerk told her I was first in line she would have to wait her turn. They had zero manners & sucked big time.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I draw the line at tacos de tripa, Intestine Tacos!

Really!
    Ahhhhh...they taste like crap

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    I call them the Poopie French. On vacation out West years ago there were French & German tourists everywhere. Maybe the money exchange was in their favor. A Frenchman was trying to put leaded gas into an unleaded gas car rental gas tank because it was cheaper. The nozzles on the hoses are different & he was getting gas all over the place. :eek Then if you met them on the sidewalk or trails they would not move out of the way or single file it. I got to the point when I met them I would stop & not move & they would have to go around me. Then two French families got into it over a motel room. They kept trying to get the cheapest discount for a room. Finally the clerk told them she didn't have any rooms for either of them. Then I was in a convenient store & had my stuff at the register & a Poopie French lady barged in right in front of me. The clerk told her I was first in line she would have to wait her turn. They had zero manners & sucked big time.
    You know why french people have big noses ???
    Cos the air is free !!! HAAAAAH !!!!!

"I'm Back !!"

Blog Entries
    On the other side of the coin. We had 3 French students stay with us for a month, three different summers back in the 1970's. They were the best well behaved kids & clean.

When in Alaska years ago we stayed at B&B in Valdez. There was a snorkel snouted French doctor & his lovely wife. They wouldn't sleep in the basement room so we gave up our room on the upper level. I can only think the reason was the possibilty of an earthquake & the place caving in is all. He reaked of arrogants & his sweet wife was not French but Oriental. At breakfast he complained about the food. The hostess said they trashed the room she put them in. So you run into all kinds. I would of liked to have thrown my cup of coffee in his face though just for good measure.

I haven't had a chance to go down to France yet but a while ago I was being helped by a lady speaking French in Belgium. She was all smiles and chatty cathy with everyone else but when it was my turn she didn't even TRY to speak to me even though I smiled and said hello in French just like everyone else She did crack a smile when I said Merci though so maybe the rest of it was just too butchered to be understandable
    Here in Germany I have had MANY good experiences with language and it seems that everyone I have met so far appreciates that I TRY to ask/order in German
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    Here in Germany I have had MANY good experiences with language and it seems that everyone I have met so far appreciates that I TRY to ask/order in German
    Where in Germany are you? It's true, many Germans appreciate when people from other countries try to speak our language (btw, I think German must be very difficult to learn). Do the Germans you know try to speak English with you? I have to admit that many Germans speak a horrible English...

Kirsten

I remember John telling some stories about the French and German’s. He left England when he was about 21 and went to Germany to work for a year doing technical drawings. He got a job ans lived in a small rented room where he studied German from an old book with Gothic letters! He did quite well there and liked the people. Than, after that, he went to Paris, France and got a similar job, also for a year. He did get to know a few people, but he felt most was very hostile, even though he studied French and spoke some.

His plan was to go to Japan, but he wanted to take a two week holiday in Copenhagen first - he had been corresponding with a friend of a friend here. Well, as some of may know, he loved it here and stayed until he died. He was introduced to the best Bar in town, though. People were all over him to practise their English. This was in 1961.

In his later years, he used to complain about the German's "stealing" the sun chairs wherever we went on holiday.

Oh, there was one thing he couldn't stand about Danes... no queue culture!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Oh, there was one thing he couldn't stand about Danes... no queue culture!
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    In his later years, he used to complain about the German's "stealing" the sun chairs wherever we went on holiday.
    Oh yes, definitely a bad German habit, from what I've heard (I don't travel).

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    He did get to know a few people, but he felt most was very hostile, even though he studied French and spoke some.
    My daughters boyfriend has just returned from six weeks in Paris, on student exchange. He has exactly the same story.

"I'm Back !!"

Well, I guess there are all types - I know this very nice French couple who now live in Copenhagen (actually they were born in Spain, but they lived in France most of their lives, and still have a house in Paris). They are simply the nicest people you can meet - OK, they have travelled a LOT, have three children and a one eyed cat (Dali). Of course... cat people has to be nice.

However, the way they speak English is SO charming.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Well, I guess there are all types - I know this very nice French couple who now live in Copenhagen (actually they were born in Spain, but they lived in France most of their lives, and still have a house in Paris). They are simply the nicest people you can meet - OK, they have travelled a LOT, have three children and a one eyed cat (Dali). Of course... cat people has to be nice.

However, the way they speak English is SO charming.
    Yeah, Spanish people are ok, I've known a few of them, and Portuguese to are a nice sort of people.
    We had a Danish family living near us recently, there daughter Phia was one of my daughters friends, they were in the same class at school. Phia's mother worked as a professor of science at the university. A lovely lady, and a real fitness freak.....last year she had a stroke...she was like only 42 yo, so tragic it was. So they had to sell their house and move back to Denmark.
    Hubby was also a professor, but couldn't find work here at the uni, and was driving taxi's. So they had to move back so that he could find better paid work teaching in Denmark, as his wife needs lots of care and all. The Dr's doubt she will ever be able to return to her work, as the stroke rendered her almost speechless.
    Terrible thing to happen to her, she was a really nice lady.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Where in Germany are you? It's true, many Germans appreciate when people from other countries try to speak our language (btw, I think German must be very difficult to learn). Do the Germans you know try to speak English with you? I have to admit that many Germans speak a horrible English...

Kirsten
    I live way over by Trier! In my experience so far, I will speak German the best I can and they will answer me in English. Maybe because I live near a US military base?? I've only met a couple of people who I could not understand at all, even with asking them to speak slowly, but we managed to communicate well enough with hand gestures I love Germany
    I would agree that German is difficult to learn I have been using Rosetta Stone and Mango language programs but I am still terrible at anything but the basics!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I think this article is interesting, but probably not scientifically valid.

I was in France for 10 days in 2004, and didn't speak but a few words of the language- but everyone was very nice! I actually didn't run into anyone who was rude, but also did make sure to at least give basic salutations in French. (I also had a friend who spoke French, but even when I was out alone I found people very helpful despite my language deficit).

I've never been to Portugal, but Portuguese people are supposed to be really friendly. Come to that, some friends of mine visited New Zealand a few years back - I believe that was the height of your journey "around the world" - well apart from Western Samoa. The place they hated was Mexico.

I learnt a bit of Spanish - good to know when you're stuck out in nowhere and there's only this old man to ask for directions.

How tragic with that Danish woman, I hope she is doing better now!

Sirrahsim, I agree that German is difficult. In my case it's because of the grammer. I do understand a lot, though.