Thread: Peeing issues...

Peeing issues...

There is a friend of mine on myspace who is having pottie issues with her female chi. Bebe has always had a thing about "wiping herself" on her owner after she uses the bathroom, wiping herself on her clothes, wiping herself on her side of the bed, etc. She yhas never done this to the boyfriend. A week or two ago Bebe pee'd on their bed (they have stairs so the chis can get up and down on their own). They removed the steps to prevent her from getting up there without them being present but now she noticed that one of her two pillows was pee'd on and suspects that Bebe did it while she was sleeping. She never does stuff to the boyfriends belongings just hers. I really am at a loss as to what to suggest to her as I have never had a dog (thank goodness) behave in this manner.

I suggested crating her but she said that Bebe would absoluately just throw a hissy fit. She loves to be the center of attention.

Her owner feels it may be a jealousy thing, as Bebe absolutely LOVES the boyfriend. She will come over and get right between them if they are sitting next to each other. Bebe has even poked her in the eye to try and get her to move.

She has been spayed since she was 6 months old and if memory serves me right she is about a year and a half. This behavior actually started after being spayed her owner tells me.

Any suggestions on how she can correct this behavior is greatly appreciated. I told her I would see what you all thought she should try and then I will pass on the information to her. Hopefully with help from you all she can correct this bad potty behavior.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

I might be wrong but it almost sounds like she is trying to mark her and her territory. I had a female pom that use to lift her leg and pee on things. The vet suggested to have her spayed...I did and she stopped.

As I already stated she has been spayed, she has been spayed now for approximately a year and this behavior actually got worse after being spayed.

Does any one else out there have any suggestions I can give her to help correct this behavior??
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

I agree that it sounds like she is marking her territory.

Difficult to correct this, IMO. Make sure any "marked" items are thoroughly cleaned and have NO lingering odor. (Keep in mind the dog can smeel scent we can't detect). I've had to throw away a few items which were repeatedly marked, even after I thought they were clean.

Just thinking as I type, no great ideas. Could it be the owner /female is not acting alpha enough? So Bebe feels the need to take charge of things? To counter that, the owner needs to work with Bebe on a daily basis: walks, commends with treats. But positive re-enforcement only.

Sorry nothing is clearly popping up in my mind!