Thread: Hairballs!!

Hairballs!!

I just want to know how many people's cats do/don't cough up hairballs. Sally will probably do it once a year, or even less.
    Is that bad, or is it okay, I mean I see her grooming herself all the time, but she never coughts it up!! So, anybody else have cats that do/don't cough up hairballs??
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

My guys seem to cough up the most hairballs in the springtime. I've seen all of them do it.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

My Luna never coughed a hairball so far, and she's two and a half years old. She also does not vomit very often, only a couple of times a year.

Kirsten

Minnie doesn't cough them off very often either but I learned something interesting from my vet about this. She was constipated a few weeks ago and he said that one of the reasons for it could be hairballs... I had no idea. He suggested this medication (I forgot the name of it) which you give them once in a while, just on their lips so they lick it and it helps to clear the hairballs..
    Anyway, I guess its not a bad idea, especially if they're getting constipated which could cause major problems..

My calico, Miko, coughs up hairballs maybe once every three months. She's pretty consistent! My tabby, Saima, has never coughed up a hairball as far as I can recall. They both groom themselves every day, but I guess Miko has a tougher time *passing* the hair!

Isn't it fun coming across these little *presents*? I think I accidentally stepped on one once. eeeeewwww!!!
    margaret

Saima and Miko

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I don't know. At least never at home! Mine are outside all day long, so I have little knowledge what those two are up to.

My indoor kitties did it about once a year too.

Duchess coughs them up all the time cause she has long hair. Yum Yum just started to doing it.
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Nope... Dudley never gets hairballs. We feed him Iams Hairball Control- and it must work. I think he has only gotten one, when my grandma used to own him. My old kitty used to get them a lot

Misty coughs up at least 1 hairball per week. Some times more. She is on hairball medication but it doens't work. Well atleast I have a reson to keep my room clean

Ash

PS: Here is a Picture of misty, no long hair, so no reson for hairballs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Beau, my burmese, gets hairballs but not very often. Felicia is shorthaired but she gets them in the hot weather. I think she has the because she has an undercoat.

Bassett used to throw up a hairball at least once a week; sometimes she would do it even more often than that. Then I started feeding her Iams hairball control and it has pretty much stopped. Tilly eats the same food so I don't know if she would be a hairball puker or not. Nutmeg hasn't thrown one up yet so lets keep our fingers crossed

Livvy regularly had hairballs when she lived with my parents, but stopped for the first year she was here. (Possibly due to my feeding them almost exclusively on hairball formula?) She's been having problems with them for the last 6 months or so. I've switched to combing her daily vice brushing her and it seems to help ... they are fewer and much smaller. (The comb seems to do a better job collecting loose hair.)

Cassy, my short hair, hasn't had a problem that I've noticed.

Good luck.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/