Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need specific/detailed advice, please.

I need specific/detailed advice, please.

I know several of you have been through this and that's why I need your help. I've read the threads of how you will know when it is time to let your animal go. But I am having a very hard time with it.
    Taz has been up and down. I know this happens. I remember Mary's Puddy going through the ups and downs. But it's tearing me apart. There are times that I feel it is time to let him go. Like today, he stayed in the bathroom by the toilet pretty much ALL day. So that's when I was thinking it was time. Then he just came out meowing at me for food. Now I'm thinking ok, maybe it's not time. Then I think, if he is in pain I don't want him to be.
    This past Friday I had to give him his meds. When I gave him the antibiotics and Maalox he growled at me. He's NEVER done that. Then while we were doing his sub-q's he was growling and tried several times to get away from us. I am so glad I have Bruce to help me. I honestly don't know how someone could do this alone (Mary, you are amazing). We have to do his fluids tonight and I'm not looking forward to it. I don't like him to be in pain and it's even worse when I feel like I'm the one inflicting the pain.
    Another problem I'm facing is at the end of July we are going on a motorcycle trip and will be gone for 12 days. My mom will have the cats and I know she will take good care of them. She'll do his fluids and everything. But I'm scared he will go when I'm not with him. And I don't want my mom to feel responsible.

UGH! I hate this! I just want a straight CLEAR answer here.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Honestly, you'll know when its time. I knew last year with Nicki, but I just couldn't put her down... I just couldn't do it. I'm sure when it truly is time, you'll KNOW.

((((HUGS))))) to you.

I know this is so hard for you, and, yes, I have been through it several times. I think catnapper is right...you will know when it is time. Hang in there. You are doing an awesome job of taking care of Taz. HUGS from us too!!!

It is never easy. You always question yourself. Am I / Did I do the right thing?

I have had to make the decision 7 times. Each time I knew that even though the pet might have been able to live longer, the pet was NOT acting like their normal self.

You know your pet and if they are not acting interested in the things they used to live for, then it could be time.

With Brighteyes, she was having difficulty breathing.
    With Amanda, she stopped eating and her diagnosis told us she would never eat on her own again.
    With Bear (at 20 years) he was just ready, tired, uninterested, and stopped eating.
    With Y.Lee, his diabetes never became regulated and keeping him alive would have meant MANY more vet trips, and he stressed so badly at the vet that subjecting him to more tests would have been cruel.
    With Lucas, after over 9 months of diarrhea I could tell he was just tired. He stopped playing our nightly game of chase and seems to be just existing.
    With Rutherford, he became distant. A cat who literally LIVED to sit on your lap would just lay in the hall. And his breathing was starting to be labored.
    With BraveHeart, seizures started, and we had already tried everything.

Each time I wondered "should I try just one more thing"? but the answer was usually in their eyes. PLEASE, let me go.

You will never truly know what their wishes are, so you have to be strong enough to balance the desire for them to live with the reality of life and death.

And never be afraid to admit that money IS a factor! Even if we were all super billionaires, I's not always right to keep a pet alive JUST because there is a new treatment to try. I've seen people do EVERYTHING, and I don't believe the pet always benefits.

Sorry so long. Just feel it in your heart.

Thank you all for your responses. I can hardly see through my tears.

He is back in the bathroom again. I don't want to stress him out with all the meds, but at the same time I want him comfortable. I'm STUCK!

Do I continue the meds, or stop and just let him be? I have two more rounds of fluids left in the bag I currently have. He goes to the vet on Thursday for a follow up.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Cindy, I'm sorry to hear that he's still not feeling well and that you're having such a hard time. It has been hot in CA so maybe this is part of the reason why he's feeling even more poorly.

I've only had to make this decision one time so far and it was the most difficult one I've ever had to make. My Pepper had stopped eating so I had to force feed him but he kept throwing everything up. The vet knew he had some kind of an infection but he didn't know exactly what is was. He was on a lot of different meds and he even became diabetic due to being on pred.

He was spending all of his time back in my bedroom and when I'd try to feed him or medicate him he kept on letting out the biggest sigh like he had had enough. I was losing weight, sleep, and hours at work trying to care for him. My roommate at the time talked to me about him and told me what she would do since she'd already had to put 2 of her dogs down before. I also talked to another lady who had this experience before.

Even though he didn't look too bad by his appearance, he wasn't the Pepper that I knew. All he did all day was to sleep in a box in my bedroom. I finally decided that he had enough so I stopped his meds and force feedings and I spent the weekend just giving him lots of love. On Mon. morning I called my vet at the time to let him know that I wanted him put to sleep. It was a hard decision but I knew that he would then be at peace and that we'd meet again some day.

Taz will let you know by the look in his eyes, his actions, moods etc. You will know when both you and he have had enough. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Wow, any time I need a good cry I'll just come to this thread. Reading everyone's experiences again is breaking my heart. I knew it would someday come to this for me too. And I also knew that I'd have PT to help me through it when the time came. I can't thank you all enough for being there for me through this difficult time.

We just did his sub-q's and he actually did good. No growling and he only moved a teeny bit. I also gave him is epogen shot this morning. That could be why he was hiding in the bathroom today. Hopefully that and the fluids will kick in and he will have a better day tomorrow.

Yes, it has been hot here and we think that's why he likes to hang out in the bathroom because it's cooler. We try to keep the house fairly cool, especially since Bruce works from home. I understand what you mean by the look in his eyes. And a couple of times I thought I saw it. But I don't think it's consistent enough yet. He has his good days and bad days. So once he has several bad days in a row I'll know it's time. I'll just hope that it's not while I'm gone and he's in my moms care. I don't want my mom to have to make that decision or go through that heartache.

Oh, I've been cheating a little on his antibiotics. I let the pill disolve in tuna juice and he drank it up. Probably not the correct dosage, but close enough. The doctor told me to finish the pills and there are 10 pills that I break in half. That's twenty days! That seems like a lot to me. I'll ask her about it when we go in on Thursday. The Maalox I can handle because it's not much and it's liquid so it goes down easier.

I can (and will) make it through this!!!!!

I am just reading this now. I am so sorry you and sweet Taz are going through this. Please know that you both are in my prayers.

As everybody said before me, you will just know. There are no straight answers when it comes to these kind of things...you just know.

With our rescue girl, Lady (the staffie mix), we tried everything and nothing worked. When I went to the vet that sad day to see her....her eyes told me to help her go "home".

That is our job as "owners", "meowmies", and "protectors" - to help them be happy, safe, healthy, and free of all ailments and pain. Even if it means letting them go and holding their paw while they cross over to that wonderful Rainbow Bridge. It is the least we can do in turn for all the love and devotion they give to us every single day of their much too short lives.

Good luck and try to stay strong. We love you Taz and will keep you in our prayers.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

I cannot be of much help. End of last year Filou had an infection on top of his renal failure and I was afraid his time would have come.
    He refused to eat, hid quietly in places and I could see he had problems walking and jumping (jumping is an important thing for Abys).
    We went into handfeeding whatever he liked and making sure he got at least 100 calories per day (egg yolk, ground beef, cream, goose fat...).
    Then on top he got diarrhea (maybe too much fat) so the vet said not to feed him 12 hrs, then after it came back, a full day. He was down to 2600 g and I remember I wrote all my Christmas cards saying that that may be his last X-mas.
    After the diarrhea stopped and the infection was treated he came back into the world. He is eating now and we have him at 2900 g. He walks much better and jumps again (although not so high than when he was young- but so do I ). He is definitely feeling well.
    The vet has stopped to check his levels- we all know they will be over the top and she says she never saw a kitty survive that long on such high levels. But as she is a friend she sees him also privately in our house and she agrees: he is ok.
    So I cannot say whether Taz' time has come- he may get over it and that's what I wish for you.

I think that what made it more difficult for me was that I was reading things into the situation, trying to read Puddy's mind. Just when I'd had myself convinced that her quality of life was gone and that I'd need to help her make her trip to the Bridge, then I'd change my mind and think to myself "Ok, I wouldn't like to spend all my time alone and in the bathroom yet but how do I know that Puddy doesn't like it? Cats aren't people and their likes and dislikes are different from ours". Worse yet, just like Taz, Puddy would go up and down. She wanted to be alone and I'd be at my computer bawling when suddenly she'd come downstairs. Just for a few minutes but enough to give me hope. It's as if she was saying "Don't give up on me, Mom" but yet, that's what I wanted to believe she was thinking.

Puddy's situation was similar to Taz's but different because of her senility. I was waiting for the meds to kick in that were supposed to help w/that and when Lara (Emeraldgreen) suggested that I try injecting the B vitamins in her subq bag and Puddy became her hold self again, then I didn't know what to think! However, that lasted for only 2 days and then she was gone. Her breathing became labored and THAT'S when I knew that it was time. As it turned out, though, true to form, Puddy went on her own w/out any help from me or Dr. Lee.

I've had other times when the situation was cut and dried and there was no doubt what needed to be done. I would love to be able to say "Here's when you should do it" because I wanted someone to say that to me, too, but all I heard was "You'll know". So, unfortunately, all I can say to you is the same. "You'll know". That and keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Darn it, I should have known not to read this while I'm at work.

Filou gives me hope, but unfortunately I don't think Taz will be as lucky. He just looks horrible.

This morning he didn't meet me in the hall. But I went to him on the bed in the spare room and he came out to eat. Although he didn't eat anything. So I gave him his Maalox then some tuna and he ate the tuna. Then I went into the kitchen later and he was chasing something on the floor. I'm not sure if it was a fuzzball or a bug, but it made me so happy!!
    So, I think I'm getting a better idea of what signs will tell me it's time. And I owe a HUGE thank you to each and every one of you for your kind words and support.

Thats something thats hard to answer in a specific way, as it depends on your Cat.
    I am facing that question with Juke Joint Joseph whos 16 , is now under 7 pounds and has to have his food blended.
    I made a mistake with Precious as I kept her too long and she was so weak that she passed on on the way to our Vets.
    Only Smokey and Bo Bo passed away cleanly , sadly its up to us to help Our Cats cross over.
    We are sending Our Prayers for Taz that you can be togetrher for as long as possible.
    Last edited by catmandu; 07-01-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My heart felt sympathies struggling with this. I smiled when you ended with "I wan a CLEAR answer!" I know I felt that way too, each time this situation arose. And deep down, we know that if there were a CLEAR answer, well, threads like this wouldn't get started!

Be sure to ask the vet lots of questions, get the medical side of the situation. What are the possibilities, probabilities. You need input from all angles to help make a decision to go on or not to go on.

Seeing Taz playing this morning, aw, now THAT brought tears to MY eyes!

Each time I wondered "should I try just one more thing"? but the answer was usually in their eyes. PLEASE, let me go.
    I have to totally agree with this. With Speckles, she was 18 1/2. Her body had shut down, she stopped eating and just laid there in the spare room on the floor all day and night. Finally, I looked into her eyes and they spoke volumes. "I'm ready to go Mom." The vet was scheduled to come to my house at about 6:30 that evening and I told her as she laid on my chest "If you want to go before Dr. Singh gets here, it's OK."

It's hard to put it into words, but you'll just know.

{{{hugs}}}
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

WOW - this is a tough thread!!

I agree, Taz will tell you. Jamara was 18 when we had her PTS in 2002. She had Oral Squalmous Cell Carcinoma, although we didn't have a name for it at the time, we just knew there was a large cancerous growth in her jaw. She could not eat or drink; we spoon fed her blended food as long as we could, but in the end we couldn't even get that down her. She had lost two pounds and was so weak. The last morning (Martin Luther King Day) - we all knew. When she went, the vet said, "she was weaker than we thought, she went so quickly". It was time; she said good bye to us with her eyes.

You'll know. Watch the eyes - prayers for knowing the signs!