Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 week old kittens! Pics #14, 18 19

4 week old kittens! Pics #14, 18 19

My friends found 3 kittens in a tree stump. No sign of the mom cat, and they asked around, no one had seen her in some time. The kittens were mewing up a storm, so my friends took the wee ones home, had them vet checked, he said they are about 3 weeks old (this was last week, so they are no 4 weeks).

I go see them tomorrow -- WITH camera, never fear, PT!

So Barb and hubby Bill have been asking friends to adopt a kitten and one is now "taken." The question has arisen, at what age can the baby be separated from her litter mates and go to her new home? There is no question of weaning, so we can't go by that.

The new home had a cat, who died suddenly of a heart attack just this morning.

Any insights welcome!
    Last edited by Freedom; 07-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.

We cant wait to see those tiny Cats of the Future,
    and they certainly are lucky that you found them, and they will get great Furrever Homes!!!

Thats a break in the chain of Feral Cats who grow up wild and have more litters of Cats who will live sad desperate lives.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh I mised your question. At 4 weeks there are things like Baby Kitten Fod KMR and A Vianin Gel until the Little One gets to be about 8 weeks old.
    I have read that an important thing is to keep the Babies warm, as they are suescetible to chills.
    Good Luck with You Cats of the Future!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I can't wait to see those beautiful little babies!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    The question has arisen, at what age can the baby be separated from her litter mates and go to her new home? There is no question of weaning, so we can't go by that.
    Any insights welcome!
    I rescued a litter from under my shed a few years ago. They were about 4 weeks old. I was amazed at how they instinctively knew how to use the litter box. They also ate moistened kitten food right away. I was very fortunate that a very good friend took two females and they could not have been more than 4 or 5 weeks old. Another friend took one of the kittens about the same time. I am sure there is probably something official about this on the internet but as long as they can eat and use the litter box I see no reason they cannot be adopted.

Here is a picture of the little darlins. Everytime I look at this picture I wish I had them back again for just a few days. They were sooooo much fun!

Every once in a while my friends will send me updated pics. My brother has Max so I get to see him frequently.

Aw that pic is adorable!!!

That picture of all those kitties is wonderful!

Now, back to the question at hand:eight weeks is the usual standard, but there is, as Catmandu said, special supplemental food they should be getting, and keeping them from chill is KEY!! Good luck; keep us posted!

It's a good thing the kittens were found, so they didn't have to starve to death - also glad to hear some of them found homes.

In Denmark, kittens are preferably not adopted out until they are 12 weeks old. That is because they still learn a lot of things from their mom, and their immune system will be stronger. They are also less likely to get behaviour problems later in life, but in case the mom has disappeared, of course they can survive, given the right care.

Good luck with them!

Happylabs, that kitten picture is so cute!!
    Last edited by Randi; 07-02-2009 at 09:14 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I can't wait to see the kittens! I bet they're the cutest things ever. I'm glad your friends found them and took them in. I wouldn't want to think about what would of happened to them if they didn't. Good luck with the kittens and take lots of pictures.

Happylabs, AW! They are adorable.
    -ErinExotic:]]
    Snowbelle's Catster:

Hooray for some good news!!!!!!! Like Gary said, the feral chain has been broken and those kitties will hopefully never have to know the life of a homeless cat.

Awwee so glad the babies were found & will have good homes.. At 6 Six Weeks of age is good for adopting out.. They will have a good set of teeth & should for sure be on wet food..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

When LUCKY came to at one day old, I set up a carrior with a heating pad under 2 towels. This kept him warm and out of drafts. The cover was on but not latched. We feed him kitten milk and as he grew we added a litter box, water dish, and a food dish with most kitten food. The water dish has to be very shallow and hard to tip over. The frist pic. is at about 4 weeks, the next at about 7 weeks. He is now at 53 weeks and one of my loves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LUCKY0602.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	42954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LUCKY092208a.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	42955  
    GILL & Crew;

This is Barbara...I'm the one with the kittens!

Thank you all for the advice on the kittens. I'm going to hang onto them for at least another two weeks, til they are 6 weeks old. They are doing well with the litter box. Two of the three are doing fairly well with lapping up formula from a low dish. They also are eating some soft food. One of them makes a holy mess of herself evert time she eats. She (quite literally) is really into her food. Hope this stops sometime soon!!!! I wipe her - but she always looks like an adorable mess.

Their stools are still quite runny - was told this is fairly normal at this stage. I also noticed some blood - was told that could be stress or parasites - and they are still too young to treat that...not to worry about it. Of course I was panic struck! I know nothing about kittens. They are very affectionate and adorable. I have found a good home for one of them, where he will get a LOT of love and attention and always be indoors. I had a call today about one of my little girls, and decided not to adopt her out since they were looking for an indoor/outdoor cat. I just don't believe in letting them wander outdoors; it's just not safe for them.
    So, if anyone knows of a good home - please let me know! I can give you my phone number and I am in MA.
    Thanks again for all the tips.

Photos of Newman (white and orange male), Chaos and Precious (calico females)

Chaos

Precious ( the "runt")

Hi Barbara, Please accept my huge welcome to Pet Talk! Thank you and bless you for helping these little babies. Because of your efforts these little ones are going to enjoy the life every kitty deserves. Good call on not adopting a kitten out to someone looking for an indoor-outdoor kitty. Groucho is 8 years old and has been strictly indoor since the day he decided he was coming home with us.

I do hope you'll be back and will become part of our PT family. When it comes to anything cat, this is definitely the place to be. There are several folks here that are extremely knowledgable about kitties. Except for a good and trusted vet, the best advice you can possibly get is right here.

Have the babies been checked by a vet yet?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE