Page 10 of 124 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

6 September 2009

OTTAWA– Two Canadian soldiers were killed and five injured when an improvised explosive device detonated near their armoured vehicle in the vicinity of Dand District, approximately 14 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City at around 12:00 p.m., Kandahar time, on 6 September 2009.

Killed in action was Corporal Jean-François Drouin from 5e Régiment du génie de combat serving as a member of the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group based in Valcartier, Quebec.

Killed in action was Major Yannick Pépin also from 5e Régiment du génie de combat serving as a member of the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group based in Valcartier, Quebec.

8 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of an airman who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

1st Lt. Joseph D. Helton, 24, of Monroe Ga., died Sept. 8 near Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive devise. He was assigned to the 6th Security Forces Squadron, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.

5 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Capt. Joshua S. Meadows, 30, of Bastrop, Texas, died Sept. 5 while supporting combat operations in Farah province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion, Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

United Kingdom - one was saved, two were lost.

9 September 2009

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has issued a statement on an operation in Afghanistan to free hostage Stephen Farrell, a journalist of dual British/Irish nationality.

The Prime Minister said:

"Last night, Stephen Farrell, a journalist of dual British/Irish nationality, was freed from Taliban captivity in a British operation supported by the Afghan authorities and our NATO allies.

"He is now safe and well, receiving support from embassy staff and undergoing medical checks. Sadly, we were unable to rescue Stephen's Afghan interpreter, Sultan Munadi, and we send his family our condolences.

"It is with very deep sadness that I must also confirm that, while acting with the greatest of courage in this most dangerous mission, one member of the British Armed Forces lost his life.

"His family has been informed, and our immediate thoughts are with them. His bravery will not be forgotten.

"This operation was carried out after extensive planning and consideration. Those involved knew the high risks they were running. That they undertook it in such circumstances showed breathtaking heroism. I also want to thank the Afghan authorities and our NATO allies for their support.

"Hostage taking is never justified, and the UK does not make substantive concessions, including paying ransoms. But whenever British nationals are kidnapped, we and our allies will do everything in our power to free them.

"As we all know, and as last night once again demonstrated, our Armed Forces have the skill and courage to act. They are truly the finest among us, and all of us in Britain pay tribute to them, and to the families and communities who sustain them in their awesome responsibilities."
    Last edited by Grace; 09-10-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: correcting date

When will this all end?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

8 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a sailor who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Petty Officer 3rd Class James R. Layton, 22, of Riverbank, Calif., died Sept. 8 in Kunar province, Afghanistan, while supporting combat operations. He was assigned to an embedded training team with Combined Security Tranisiton Command in Afghanistan.

The United Kingdom soldier, mentioned in post #139, has been identified.

It is with deep sadness that the Ministry of Defence confirms that Corporal John Harrison from The Parachute Regiment was killed in Afghanistan in the early hours of Wednesday 9 September 2009.

Corporal Harrison, aged 29, was part of an operation to free hostages from Taliban captivity. Stephen Farrell, a journalist of dual British/Irish nationality, was freed in the operation, which was supported by the Afghan authorities and our NATO allies. Sadly, it was not possible to rescue Mr Farrell's Afghan interpreter, Sultan Munadi.

It's not just IEDs that are killing our troops. For some, it is by their own hand.

Army Releases August Suicide Data

The Army released suicide data for the month of August today. Among active duty soldiers, there were 11 potential suicides, all of which are pending determination of the manner of death. In July, the Army reported no confirmed suicides and eight potential suicides among active duty soldiers. However, since the release of the July report, an additional four potential suicides have been reported, each of which is pending determination of the manner of death. As a result, for the month of July, there were 12 potential suicides. Two of those have been confirmed as suicides and ten remain under investigation.

There were 110 reported active duty Army suicides from January 2009 through August 2009. Of those, 71 have been confirmed, and 39 are pending determination of manner of death. For the same period in 2008, there were 89 suicides among active duty soldiers.

During August 2009, among reserve component soldiers who were not on active duty, there were six potential suicides. Among that same group, from January 2009 through August 2009, there were 20 confirmed suicides. Thirty-four potential suicides are currently under investigation to determine the manner of death. For the same period in 2008, there were 36 suicides among reserve soldiers who were not on active duty.

Grace, I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I have opened this thread. Because it was started at the same time as a bunch of celebrity deaths, I kind of thought that that was what was going to be in it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate you paying tribute to our soldiers and others as well as your own.

I am so pleased, if amazed, to see mention of Henry Allingham and Harry Patch in this thread. I am pretty surprised that their deaths would be reported at all in the States.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties View Post
    Grace, I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I have opened this thread. Because it was started at the same time as a bunch of celebrity deaths, I kind of thought that that was what was going to be in it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate you paying tribute to our soldiers and others as well as your own.

I am so pleased, if amazed, to see mention of Henry Allingham and Harry Patch in this thread. I am pretty surprised that their deaths would be reported at all in the States.

Thank you.
    Thank you for the kind words. Your soldiers were not mentioned specifically in this country - that I'm aware of. I check the Departments of Defense/Defence websites for the U.S.A., Canada and United Kingdom at least once a day. That's where I get all my information.

I feel it's only fair to mention your troops, as they've been with ours - from the beginning.

As pointed out earlier by ES, Tuesday was one horrific day.

8 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of three Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

The following Marines died Sept. 8 while supporting combat operations in Kunar province, Afghanistan:

Gunnery Sgt. Edwin W. Johnson Jr., 31, of Columbus, Ga.

1st Lt. Michael E. Johnson, 25, of Virginia Beach, Va.

Staff Sgt. Aaron M. Kenefick, 30, of Roswell, Ga.

Gunnery Sgt. Johnson and Staff Sgt. Kenefick were assigned to 3rd Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan.

1st Lt. Johnson was assigned to 7th Communications Battalion, 3rd Marine Headquarters Group, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan.

5 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Youvert Loney, 28, of Pohnpei, Micronesia, died Sept. 5 in Abad, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle using small arms and recoilless rifle fires. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.

More from 8 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. They died of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an explosive device Sept. 8 in Baji, Iraq. They were assigned to the 545th Military Police Company, Arctic Military Police Battalion, U.S. Army, Alaska, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Killed were:

Staff Sgt. Shannon M. Smith, 31, of Marion, Ohio.

Pfc. Thomas F. Lyons, 20, of Fernley, Nev.

Pfc. Zachary T. Myers, 21, of Delaware, Ohio

10 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Christopher S. Fowlkes, 20, of Gaffney, S.C., died Sept. 10 from wounds sustained Sept. 3 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.

CNN has a wonderful site dedicated to all the troops who are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition to those I have included from Canada and the United Kingdom, there are 7 others who died so far this month.

POLAND
    4 September 2009 - Sgt. Marcin Poreba, 32. 5 Pulku Inzynieryjnego (5th Engineers Regiment) Killed when his convoy was attacked with homemade explosives in Afghanistan.

8 September 2009 - Pvt. Artur Pyc, 27. 18 Batalion Desantowo-Szturmowy, 25 Brygada Kawalerii Powietrznej (18th Air Assault Battalion, 25th Air Cavalry Brigade) Died on September 8, 2009, at a hospital in Lublin, Poland, of wounds received when a roadside bomb exploded underneath his armored vehicle in Ghazni province, Afghanistan, on May 22, 2009

FRANCE
    4 September 2009 - Cpl. Johan Naguin, 24 3e régiment d'infanterie marine (3rd Marine Infantry Regiment) Killed when his patrol vehicle struck a roadside bomb in Kapisa province, Afghanistan,

NETHERLANDS
    6 September 2009 - Cpl. Kevin van de Rijdt, 26 Speciale eenheid Task Force 55, Korps Commandotroepen (Special Task Force Unit 55, Commando Corps) Killed in a firefight between Taliban fighters and Dutch special operations forces near Deh Rawood in Uruzgan province, Afghanistan.

7 September 2009 - Sgt. Maj. Mark Leijsen, 44 101 Geniebataljon, Koninklijke Landmacht (101st Engineer Battalion, Royal Netherlands Army) Killed when his vehicle struck a roadside bomb near a Dutch outpost in Uruzgan province, Afghanistan.

TRINIDAD
    4 September 2009 - Master Cpl. Thomas Rousselle, 30 3e régiment d'infanterie marine (3rd Marine Infantry Regiment) Died on September 6, 2009, of wounds sustained when his patrol vehicle struck a roadside bomb in Kapisa province, Afghanistan.

POHNPEI, MICRONESIA
    5 September 2009
    - Sgt. Youvert Loney, 28 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division. Killed when enemy forces attacked his vehicle using small arms and recoilless rifle fires in Abad, Afghanistan.