Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need specific/detailed advice, please.

They know when it's time. Out Chocolate was sitting by their food on the cradenza and she called me from the TV room. I went and she just sat and purred with me petting. After about 10 minutes she swatted me to tell me to go. 15 minutes later I went to check her and she was gone. I believe that she just wanted to say goodby.
    GILL & Crew;

Quote Originally Posted by GILL View Post
    They know when it's time. Out Chocolate was sitting by their food on the cradenza and she called me from the TV room. I went and she just sat and purred with me petting. After about 10 minutes she swatted me to tell me to go. 15 minutes later I went to check her and she was gone. I believe that she just wanted to say goodby.
    Awwww, LES.

Thank you all again for your wonderful support.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Cindy, I'm so sorry you are going thru this heartache. And I know it is exactly that. You feel like your heart is being ripped out of your chest. I believe that animals are wiser than people when it comes to many things. Life and death included. I think Taz will know when it's time and I think he'll tell you. Just release that decision to the Universe and it will play out as it should. I'll PM you too.
    Love,
    Claudia, Calvin & Hobbes

Thank you so much Claudia.

This morning I was playing with Paizly with a string on a wand toy. Taz was about 3 feet away and I saw him watching the string. I flopped the string in front of him and he "ran" up and grabbed it. Then he just sat down with the string under his paw and wouldn't move. He didn't play with it, but he wouldn't let it go. It was so funny!! He finally let go and I continued playing with Paizly. I wiggled the string in front of Taz again and he patted at it a little more, then it was like he was just too tired to play. So he just laid down and watched Paizly play.
    Oh, another thing is he doesn't growl and throw a fit at Paizly anymore. I think he's just too exhausted to mess with it.

He did some things he hasn't done in a long time this morning. He was right outside the bathroom door when I came out, and he stayed in the room with me while I did my daily stretches. I opened the sliding glass door a little for him to get some air (the screen door is broken). Good thing I was watching him because he slipped his head out!! So I had to only open it about 1 inch.

We go to the vet tonight to see what she thinks. I don't want to give him oral meds anymore. I can handle the fluids. Although, Bruce is getting tired of helping me, but he will.
    I just feel like I'm prolonging his life when he'd be better off at the bridge. Then he does stuff like he did this morning and I feel differently. But what kind of life is being so weak and getting poked every other day? He is not really eating anything. He eats a teeny bit and usually only the tuna I give him after meds as a treat. I'll discuss my options tonight. Oh, I also don't want to schedule the appointment for his trip. I'd rather it be an unexpected last minute type thing.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm sorry you're going through this....I do agree, though, don't schedule. Let it be when you know it's what has to be...

I am so sorry you are going through a heartwrenching time, and you will soon have to face that decision we all dread. But, the alternative can be worse since few cats do slip away quickly and easily.

You will need to plan a little in advance because you will want your vet to give you plenty of time. After the sedative, the cat becomes very, very relaxed and this is the time when you can hold them in your arms, knowing they feel no pain or anxiety, and talk to them all you want - and sob your socks off. Some cats knead you and purr, some simply lay in your arms and gaze at you sleepily, and some slip into sleep very quickly. I always ask for several minutes with them while they are sedated because it makes me more prepared for the next step.

I've found that when my cats have started sitting in the bathroom by the loo, their time is very short. I don't know if it's the cooler floor or what, but some cats will do that even in cold weather. Yes, it is hard to see them weak but still wanting to play. Cats are notorious for making you believe they are very much alive even when they have a very short time to live. They just don't give up, making it extremely hard for us to give up for them.

Oh gosh, what a hard thread to read without getting LES. I'm so sorry that you're going through this with Taz. I think it's good that you're going to get an opinion from you vet about this, since if they feel Taz's quality of life just isn't there, it may be close to that time. It's certainly the hardest decision we need to make as a pet owner, but at least you can make sure to schedule in some lovin' time before he makes his final trip. **hugs**

Cindy, now having been there 2 times,I know exactly what you're going through. It never gets any easier. Actually this thread helped me to see that Starr's quality of life wasn't good and that his health was declining much more than I had thought. I had planned to put Starr to sleep on Sun. July 5th but he was doing so poorly on Tues. June 30th that I just couldn't wait that long so he went to sleep yesterday.

Sometimes he would act like his old self too but it was short lived so I was just kidding myself. I know that Taz will let you know when it's time. I was very lucky in that I could just go in to my vets any time of day or night without an appointment since they're always open. The lady said that animals don't have a set schedule for this kind of thing. I did want my vet to be there and she was there yesterday so she helped me let Starr go. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

just joined, but saw this thread. had my 16 yr old lynx point(mr. fuji) PTS after good battle with CRF, a year ago, and just adopted a great snowshoe yesterday. i planned on using the list i found on one of the crf support sites, based on eating, drinking, urinating, ability to get around, and individual indicators of quality of life. turns out he stopped drinking, peeing, then eating and went into hiding, would barely look at me etc. it's so hard to know because they hide their symptoms so well, but hope this helps. was definitely hardest decision i've made, but sometimes we have to do it for them, and put our feelings aside....easier said......

Thanks again everyone for your replies on this thread.
    Unfortunately, I let Taz go to the bridge tonight. Please see his thread in Memorial.