Thread: Kitten Cold

Threaded View

Kitten Cold

Hello everyone,

I hate to start off on this forum without any introductions and just jumping right into questions but I am worried about the new addition to my family, Valthien (Val for short). Just today I found a kitten, he seems in good heath all things considered and I could guess he is a few months old. I cleaned him up and he ate and drank to his hearts desire upon arrival home. I decided to keep this lovely little thing because he isn't warming up quickly and I know with time he will grow to trust me and other people. I always hate taking strays to the shelter when then aren't already people friendly. He's already climbed in my lap once today while I was working, and then decided to drive me crazy by being obsessed with my computer but I am not too worried about that.

Since I found him and cleaned him up I noticed he's been sneezing an awful lot, is very stuffy. His eyes are watery, more than I would deem usual having worked with kittens a lot in the past. I haven't had him long enough to know his eating habits but his very playful, even if it isn't with with me. That seems to be average for a kitten, play, sleep, play, sleep, play...etc. I have raised orphaned kittens, my original cat was rescued from a dug out and had to have his tail removed, I've tamed strays and treated cats for various illnesses before but a cold? Honestly, this one caught me off guard.

I know kittens are more at risk than older cats to sickness and I know the most recommended thing would be to take him to the vet. As of right now though, I had been planning to raise a little money for a week and then take him. My work is pretty give or take, some months I could make enough, others I may not. To be honest, right now I don't have what I need to take him to the vet as much as I know I should. I will if it means the kittens life, I meant to save him, not do him any more harm.

What would you all suggest beyond the vet? What things should I keep an eye out for that might deem something more serious than a mere cold? Other than that, as soon as I get the funds I will take him to the vet regardless just to be sure everything is ok - especially before I introduce my other cat to him.

Thank you and sincerely,

Shinju
    Last edited by Shinju; 06-24-2009 at 07:57 PM.