Thread: Something old is new again

Something old is new again

I pulled out the kitty sofas I made several years ago to show a friend that was visiting and they girls couldn't wait to use them again.. I am going to leave them out while I am gone back to work but took a few shots to share of the new, old sofas being enjoyed.

First is lovely Miss Giz.. she was upset I disturbed her...

And the Sweet Amy

and off to La-La land..Shhhhhhh!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I love all the pix but the last one of Amy is just adorable! If you ever decide to make them again, please let me know your fee. I'd love to have one for the Fur Posse to fight over. LOL One in plain purple microfiber to match my sofa.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

My friend wanted a closer look because she said, she may decide to also make them but she lives in Alabama and I suspect I would have to take my tools over there and show her how to put them together.. I keep looking at all the stuff in my shed and thinking I need to start doing that again but I have been so busy I just haven't had time... I also want to try my hand at that bed someone posted made out of a end table turned upside down.... so I am looking for a used one I could try it with..

If you want one out of a certian fabric and a certian color, I would have you get the fabric yourself to be sure you got the right color...

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    My friend wanted a closer look because she said, she may decide to also make them but she lives in Alabama and I suspect I would have to take my tools over there and show her how to put them together.. I keep looking at all the stuff in my shed and thinking I need to start doing that again but I have been so busy I just haven't had time... I also want to try my hand at that bed someone posted made out of a end table turned upside down.... so I am looking for a used one I could try it with..

If you want one out of a certian fabric and a certian color, I would have you get the fabric yourself to be sure you got the right color...
    Oh my gosh I sooooo badly want one of them!!! Are they difficult to make? I can be pretty handy if I really want something badly enough. The pics are adorable!

Thats great when you find something old and the Cats remember them with fondness and want is nice.
    I brought out the Old Wagon Wheel again and Michael aka Mr Purr was snoozing in his bed again!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

happylabs- If you are "handy" then you can make them.. Most I have made have been out of scrap lumber and I let the lumber dictate what size it will be.. The back and sides are cut to fit whatever size lumber I selected for the bottom..and I go from there. It is screwed together with wood screws.. It took me awhile to figure out how to put the fabric on it unfinished so that I could screw it together, then finish with the fabric over the screws to hide them but you can figure that out like I did..

Here is another one I made

and another

Those sofas are wonderful! And Miss Giz...she is beautiful! (Amy, you are beautiful too - I'm sorry, no favorites here!). Seriously, though, that is a marketable item!

I made a lot of them to donate to Spay Baton Rouge (all materials were donated for the project to SBR) as a way for them to raise money. I still have close to 100 yards of upholstery fabric here that was donated to the cause... That is why I need to get back to making them to get all that fabric out of my house and lumber out of my shed. The 2 Giz and Amy were on were made out of my own lumber and fabrics and SBR had the rest eventually. Right now my sewing machine is broke.

Do you have some kind of a pattern for them? I have a good sewing machine and am pretty handy with it. I'll be seeing my relatives from Pitkin (LA) in July and could send whatever I get made down with them if you send the fabric to me.

Oh oh my, I wish I could buy this somewhere!!
    Though I am able to make great cards, I am NOT handy at all, neither is my hubby. I would NEVER be able to create such a beautiful thing!! Congrats to you; Laura!!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Those sofas are AWESOME!!!! the kitties certainly seem to agree about their awesomeness.

I think I need to make a few of them myself

Do you have some kind of a pattern for them?
    No pattern at all, like I said, I let the lumber tell me what size it will be. I pick out the bottom (hopefully it won't need any cutting) put the legs on the bottom, then the back and arms are cut to fit that. I use the arms, back ect as the pattern to cut out the fabric then I staple the padding to the bottom, back and arms. I sew the fabric as much as I can leaving only what is needed opened so that I can screw it all together under the fabric.. and staple the fabric to the lumber to finish it.... make the little skirt and staple that on.

(I am not good with a saw and bought myself a little battery operated 3 1/2 inch (blade) saw that I could handle SAFELY. I also have a battery operated screw driver)

Wonderful! You have a true gift, Laura...
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

No wonder Giz and Amy jumped right back on those beautiful beds! Laura, I think you have a promising future in the "fur"niture business.

Tons of scritchies and lovies to your furkids special from me
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Hello, sweet Amy and beautiful Giz! Those are some very nice kitty couches you are demonstrating! Kisses to you, and also Kitty Boo and Samantha!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678