Thread: Digital Converter Boxes

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Digital Converter Boxes

It's here and I FINALLY have my digital converter box hooked up, thanks to Best Buy and their FREE installation program with the Geek Squad.

If you still need to do this and don't know how, call 1-877-229-3889. Did I mention that this is a FREE program?

Such nice people, came out and made sure mine was installed correctly and worked with my VCR. I now have 33 channels as compared to about 10 with analog rabbit ears.

I live in a 100-year old Victorian and it's not wired for cable and probably never will be. That's okay; I now have my DTV and it's awesome.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I have a digital TV but I have a converter to take to the boat for my TV there. I am hoping it won't be to hard to hook up, if it is, I will just get one of the guys to do it for me. (I hope)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I got a converter box and power rabbit ears a few months back before the first date they were going to switch to digital.

My original thoughts had been to cancel the cable, watch network tv via the converter box and get the rest from the net. However the converter box and antenna were a waste of my money.

Want to guess how many channels I can get with it????

ONE!

It's a PBS channel and it's fuzzy much of the time. Well that was $60 totally wasted!!!

So I ended up downgrading the cable to the lowest package they have and hope they continue to keep translating their broadcasts into analog so my tv will be able to view it. *sigh*

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Catlady711-Did you try moving your rabbit ears around? They told us here over and over that the digital towers are in different locations than the analog ones and people with rabbit ears would have to move them around to find the signal. They showed us maps of the old towers and the new ones and they are waaaay apart.. They said you may even have to move your TV to another location to get the digital signal...

Give the cable company awhile to move their equipment to pick up the digital signal.... unless they told you that is all you will get... My cable has not been interrupted at all..If fact, they kept telling us cable would not be interrupted, all along.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by RedHedd View Post
    I now have 33 channels as compared to about 10 with analog rabbit ears.
    If you wear your hair really long, no one will notice you have rabbit ears.

We moved the power antenna all over the place, nothing. We don't have the option of moving the tv anywhere else in the house either.

Hubby tried rescanning for channels after the switch. That ended up turning into a 4 hour screaming match with the tv because now it won't get any channels even when hooked up straight to the cable! The thing works hooked up to the other tv's cable but won't work in the room it's always been in with the cable coaxil it's always used. The other tv works fine on just the cable *sigh*

Hubby said he should sue the govt. for the hassle it caused by doing this switch, but I reminded him that the govt. is broke too so we wouldn't be able to collect anything from them. lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    We moved the power antenna all over the place, nothing. We don't have the option of moving the tv anywhere else in the house either.

Hubby tried rescanning for channels after the switch. That ended up turning into a 4 hour screaming match with the tv because now it won't get any channels even when hooked up straight to the cable! The thing works hooked up to the other tv's cable but won't work in the room it's always been in with the cable coaxil it's always used. The other tv works fine on just the cable *sigh*

Hubby said he should sue the govt. for the hassle it caused by doing this switch, but I reminded him that the govt. is broke too so we wouldn't be able to collect anything from them. lol
    You could sue for shares in the future .gov owned TV system.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.