Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Healthcare costs

Healthcare costs

Pr. Obama had a town hall meeting on health care.

The rising cost of healthcare is "untenable (and) unacceptable" Obama said. "If we do not act and act soon to bring down costs, (rising costs) it will jeopardize everyone's healthcare."

I paraphrase: In ten years, 1 out of every 5 dollars earned will go to healthcare, and in thirty years, 1 out of every 3 dollars earned will go to healthcare, and that is untenable.

Well, 1 out of every 2 of my dollars is ALREADY going to healthcare. (insurance premiums)

His scenario sounds like a 'break' to me!

IMO, he is a very 'out of touch' politician.

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat View Post
    Pr. Obama had a town hall meeting on health care.

The rising cost of healthcare is "untenable (and) unacceptable" Obama said. "If we do not act and act soon to bring down costs, (rising costs) it will jeopardize everyone's healthcare."

I paraphrase: In ten years, 1 out of every 5 dollars earned will go to healthcare, and in thirty years, 1 out of every 3 dollars earned will go to healthcare, and that is untenable.

Well, 1 out of every 2 of my dollars is ALREADY going to healthcare. (insurance premiums)

His scenario sounds like a 'break' to me!

IMO, he is a very 'out of touch' politician.

Why did you post this?

THIS IS MY HUGE-EST Pet Peeve on the planet. HC is a vast money making scam that starts with ways to make money that are so ridiculous.....the companies do not make any apologies or excuses for generating profits like they do.

IT's like a giant Ponzi scheme.

That is another reason not to like Henry Winkler or Happy Days-I never liked Ponzi.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Why did you post this?

That is another reason not to like Henry Winkler or Happy Days-I never liked Ponzi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2i0Q...eature=related

Oh yes I so agree..
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Why did you post this?

THIS IS MY HUGE-EST Pet Peeve on the planet. HC is a vast money making scam that starts with ways to make money that are so ridiculous.....the companies do not make any apologies or excuses for generating profits like they do.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Our healthcare costs are high, too high, but I would rather have health insurance than not. Life is much better when I can breathe, frankly.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Our healthcare costs are high, too high, but I would rather have health insurance than not. Life is much better when I can breathe, frankly.
    I agree.

I have RA and if I let the health insurance lapse, for one second, I will never get another policy (that includes RA)

I am 'unwritable'.

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat View Post
    Always Ponzi schemeing!

The HC reform BO was going to work on, instead, he hands it to the Congress.
    This problem I can wait to see the end result on.

We is in trouble.

Health care USE to be about getting people healthy. Now it is all about making $$$$$, they want us SICK.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I would imagine most of the uninsured feel that way, also. It is the HIGH cost of health care that makes it unobtainable to many. However it is brought down, and made more affordable to many, seems to be a step in the right direction.

I find it horrendous if the situation is so that people with a low income or are unemployed can't have free healthcare, it should be every person's right! I would much rather pay higher taxes (like we do in Denmark) and know you can go to a hospital without paying.
    Last edited by Randi; 06-14-2009 at 09:44 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I could post the same thing over and over again.

The high cost of healthcare is related to the idea that you can sue the doctor, manufacturers of meds, equipment and implants and med centers, hospitals.

YES, if the doc comes into the OR and takes out your appendix while he is drunk, when you were scheduled for a gall bladder removal, SUE SUE SUE!

But, I see commercials on the tube from lawyers looking for people who have been given a certain drug. "If you have been given XXXXXXX during surgery and have developed XXXXXXX you MAY HAVE A CASE AGAINST THE MANUFACTURER!.

The lawsuit goes forward, the jury awards 10 milliom, jillion dollars and the HC system that loses HAS to raise the rates/cost for services....

------------------------------------

Again, Do not fall for the medical series on the tube. No matter what happens, you will not be treated within one half to one hour.

Drunk, rude, substance abusing doctors would never last one day, let alone one season in a hospital.

A miracle drug/test/procedure really works....in the script.

Question you HC provider. Don't go in with a list of symptons you pulled off the internet that lead you to believe your projectile vomiting has to do with
    your earache.

Don't be embarrassed to tell your doctor your problems/concerns.

For way too long we have taken the position that "Doctors know Best".

Not true, they only know what info they get from YOU.

Be part of your HC treatments-don't hesitate and do not diagnose yourself.

Check you med bills and ask questions.

IT is you health at stake.

Somewhere I read that 45 cents out of every dollar spent on health care goes to administrative costs. Two teaching hospitals in Chicago have laid off nurses because patients are unable to pay their bills, resulting in decreased cash flow. I think that as long as there are insurance lobbyists and attorneys going for huge malpractice verdicts, there will be no easy answers to the question of what to do about health care.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Something needs to be done but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what that something is. I can barely afford my health insurance and I received notice that my premium is going up again by $150 a year! C'mon! At my age, if I cancel, I'll never get insured again, so I have to cut back somewhere else. The thought of the govt. taking control, though, scares me. My health care system is bad but I know that it can get much worse if the govt. gets ahold of it. I'm not litigious, I'm not a complainer, I don't go to the dr. w/a hangnail but when I do go, I expect to be seen w/in a reasonable amount of time and I insist that the dr. really listen to me. If I'm going to wait for weeks to get an appt., then be shuffled in and out quickly, then keep your "free" health care. I'll find the money somewhere somehow.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    it should be every person's right!
    I disagree. IMO, it is not a right. It is a service. I am willing to pay, but what else are we paying for that goes up 15% a year, every year? With little or no options or alternatives.

Medusa- I'm with you. That's exactly what I think of Dr. visits.

Every year my premium goes up $100 a MONTH, or roughly $1000-1200 a year.

In Florida, at least, you cannot even buy and keep a catastrophic policy anymore. That's all the coverage many young, healthy people need. Writing those types of policies would help the problem greatly. Just covering catastrophic emergencies, no RX, no Dr visits, etc.

But would people pay for the policy? No matter how low the premium was?
    Many people would still say they 'can't afford' it, even with a premium under $100 a month. No, they resent having to pay anything.

I have always considered it my responsibility to have medical insurance, for the last 30 years now. I've always paid for it myself, and never set foot out of the house without it. But now, I admit, it is getting rather difficult, as they take half of my money, and my rate will go up 10-15% in October.

DO NOT LET THE IDIOTS IN D.C. fool you into NATIONALIZED HC.

Start by looking into the multi million handouts from court cases that are so blatantly outrageous that they boggle the mind.

Put limits on what juries can award first.

That will lower the prices of malpractice insurance, the costs of producing meds, implants and services.

IT's a simple fix, take the F wad ambulance chasers out of the picture and thing wll get reasonable.

---------------------------------------

Our prez just came out and touted the EMR-electronic medical record.

Now, All you 'privacy advocates' should take note about the EMR and the ability for hackers and stupid employees to access YOUR information.

The company that I worked for started to look towards the EMR in '89. 20 years ago-there barely got it together in the last two year to implement the system.

This same company was fined 250,000 dollars and they fired and counseled 20+ employees for accessing the records on the OCTOMOM. Private records? Nope, if you have a password to access the system, you can peek into any record in that particular system.

This also happened in one of the university hospitals, where some celebrities had their records looked at.

Another problem is someone accessing you info then having to leave that station/terminal logged in and having someone come in behind them and seeing what they were looking at.

----------------------------------

Part of the problems for any electronic info gathering systems is that you are forcing the RNs, LVNs, NPs and other people to waste time trying to log info into the system.

One of the new ideas was to have PDAs that the docs would carry around with them, log patient info they go back to their offices or nurse stations and down load the info into the system.

LOL, I used to find pagers, stethoscopes and even wallets in the bathrooms that belonged to them. If a doctor loses a day's worth of info on his patients, what happens then?

Even though a paper system is bulky and archaic, it put the info down on one page and it was a verifiable source is something needed to be looked at.

----------------------

In the old world, Doctor's would make a telephone order, the nurse would document that on the chart, sign the Dr's name and initial it.

Now there is no validating an order or 'signature' in the doctor orders.

Complicate that for nurses who will take the easy way out and use a terminal that is opened on another account or asked a co-worker to note the order.

In the perfect world, no one would snoop, take the easy way out or make a mistake in typing out info that goes into a PERMANENT RECORD.

Just wait, the stories of medical malpractice-another cost inducing bugaboo in HC- stemming from screwed up data in EMR systems will start to surface.

-------------------------

"Hi, I am calling in for my prescription......It should be ready!"

"Nope, it doesn't show up on my computer!!!!"

"But, I spoke to my physician yesterday!"

"It's not in the computer, so I cannot help you!"

Your (insert the malady here) can wait for the data to catch up?
    Last edited by RICHARD; 06-15-2009 at 12:03 PM.