Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Healthcare costs

1. Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I've heard that the government is, or was, trying to make it illegal, but so far they haven't been able to do it. If U.S. pricing was anywhere in line with the Canadian prices, then people wouldn't have to buy out of the country. If Canada can sell it so cheaply, then why can't the U.S. - or perhaps I should say why won't the U.S.
    The drug companies have a VERY strong lobby....just like the insurance companies....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    The drug companies have a VERY strong lobby....just like the insurance companies....
    I still don't get it - same pharmaceutical manufacturer - exact same drug in both countries-------just doesn't make sense to me
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Well, well, well - I just went to Canada Drugs online and I can buy 100 strips for $51.90 - that's even less than at Amazon.

I think I shall call my Congressman's office once again and ask about the great variation in prices.

On the subject of buying drugs from Canada - we have been buying Frontline, an anti flea and other assorted bugs product, for our cats from Canada for several years. It is a non-prescription item there, takes just about 2 weeks from order to delivery, and it cost just over half of the amount our Vet charges. And, yes, it is the very same stuff - made by Pfizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Well, well, well - I just went to Canada Drugs online and I can buy 100 strips for $51.90 - that's even less than at Amazon.

I think I shall call my Congressman's office once again and ask about the great variation in prices.

On the subject of buying drugs from Canada - we have been buying Frontline, an anti flea and other assorted bugs product, for our cats from Canada for several years. It is a non-prescription item there, takes just about 2 weeks from order to delivery, and it cost just over half of the amount our Vet charges. And, yes, it is the very same stuff - made by Pfizer.
    It also pay to compare the Canadian pharmacies against each other too, since their prices also vary.

I never thought about Canada for pet meds - I've been getting mine on line thru jefferspets and they are a whole lot less than the vet or other on line pet med places. I'm going to have to check Canada for them now. Thanks!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

5. Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I still don't get it - same pharmaceutical manufacturer - exact same drug in both countries-------just doesn't make sense to me
    The "explanation" I have seen most often from the pharmas is... you cannot know for sure the quality of drugs if you buy them outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    It also pay to compare the Canadian pharmacies against each other too, since their prices also vary.

I never thought about Canada for pet meds - I've been getting mine on line thru jefferspets and they are a whole lot less than the vet or other on line pet med places. I'm going to have to check Canada for them now. Thanks!
    The most recent place I used was Canadavet.com. It's in British Columbia, and the boxes ship from Australia. They are doing some work on their web site, and I ended up using the 800# last time. No problems though.

The "explanation" I have seen most often from the pharmas is... you cannot know for sure the quality of drugs if you buy them outside the US.
    So they say that to scare people into submission and I guess it works??? I wonder how they explain away the same packaging, same manufacturer, etc. Do they make sub-standard drugs to sell outside the U.S.? I wonder how they answer that one???
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

8. Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Do they make sub-standard drugs to sell outside the U.S.? I wonder how they answer that one???
    That is what I always wonder...

What a crock of crap.

The meds are almost the same, the only difference is the packaging and the way they are milled.

---------------

I can say this because I was "there".

Back in the early 80's, when Quaaludes were the 'thing', Rorer made them and when the government saw a problem with people going to a doc, getting a script and selling them for 2,3,5 bucks a piece, they closed that street down.

People gravitated towards the Mexican Quaaludes - basically the same manufacturer, just the quality- pill milling, the packaging and the printing on the label suffered.

It was like going to a outlet store and buying a Craftsman air compressor at a 60% discount because of a giant scratch on the tank. IT DOES THE SAME EFFING JOB, It's just not pretty to look at.

-------------------------------

If Canuckians were dying from pills and other meds, doncha think they would call us and let us know?

The problem rests in the LAWS AND THE WAY PEOPLE ACT after they go in for a treatment, take a med or have surgery. People go in for liposuction and the doc punctures a vein, artery or organ with the wand, you get infected and have to have that growth/scar tissue on your belly excised.

Then you have to sue because you were stupid enough to have the surgery!

Our problem is that we want our products totally eff proof and some on to blame when they go wrong.

Watch a Mexican commercial about foot fungus, the kind that makes your toenails grow arms and legs. Then you see the "AFTER" picture and you think- Shiat! that must work!

Please, You would drink a potion of mushrooms, coffee grinds and turnip skin if it cured you.

The Canucks and Mexicans don't give a flying handshake about the packaging, spelling or the way their prescriptions work.

They want relief.

-------------

Some of us pray for an IMPROVEMENT for our maladies.

Others want Dr House, Ben Kasey, Johnny Gauge or Roy DeSoto to show up and fix our sorry arses up.

Get real, Get Life.
    You are born to die.

The doc is just there to extend your painful existence.

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to check right now , but I believe that there are tighter controls on ingredients in medications in Canada than in the US. As far as I know, Canada always retests for their own purposes but again, I may be incorrect!

As far as diabetic supplies, though, like strips, I can't see how it would make any difference whatsoever. When I first was diagnosed my parents and I made a trip to Florida. When we arrived and unpacked I realised I had forgotten to pack test strips, and went to a Walgreens and bought them and there was no issue with them at all.

And all this time I was told that the Canadian Gov put a cap on the cost of prescription drugs, and if American Pharma companies didnt or wouldnt sell them for the lesser amount, Candian Pharma companies would reverse engineer the drug, then produce and sell it.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Get real, Get Life.
    You are born to die.

The doc is just there to extend your painful existence.
    Poor Richard, you sound 'down'.

There is another answer you know, and you are guaranteed a full 20 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o036...0743E8&index=7

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat View Post
    Poor Richard, you sound 'down'.

There is another answer you know, and you are guaranteed a full 20 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o036...0743E8&index=7
    Oh lolololololol.

The full 20!

But, I'll stick around for the "furniture", god knows you can arrange it any way you want it around the room..

---------------------------

Oh no, It's just that I see these dopes that want to 'reform' the HCS and they have not the first idea as to how to do it.

90 quadzillion dollars to put your x ray on the WWW!

Go right to the source and put a cap on jury awards, malpractice, implant 'malfunctions' and medicines and they are halfway there...

20 minutes, huh!

14. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Go right to the source and put a cap on jury awards, malpractice, implant 'malfunctions' and medicines and they are halfway there...
    These may be parts of the solution but I fail to see how it will do ANYTHING to make medical care available to the uninsured. <<head shake>>

Protect the insurance companies and medical devise makers and big pharma...as for the uninsured...Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    And all this time I was told that the Canadian Gov put a cap on the cost of prescription drugs, and if American Pharma companies didnt or wouldnt sell them for the lesser amount, Candian Pharma companies would reverse engineer the drug, then produce and sell it.
    I'm not sure what this means - can you explain?

Like I said, I don't know enough about it, and I really didn't feel like researching it I just know that there have been times that Canada has refused to sell and prescribe drugs that are available in the US because they didn't meet Canadian standards. I can't even remember the drug, but it's always in the news when it happens.